Slimming with an underactive thyroid.

Options
Hi. I am new here, and am desperate to lose weight after gaining 4 stones in the last year. I am taking medication for my thyroid, but as yet it still isn`t stable. My aim is to lose 70 pounds plus. Fingers crossed that this time I can get it off and keep it off. I would love to make some supportive friends, and hope I can return that support to you :smile:

Replies

• soaps54
    soaps54 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Hi there! Welcome - I'm new too, first week. I'll add you - I had a physical last year and was close to being ruled hypothyroid as well but they told me to come back and they'd check again. We'll see what happens after I go back. I'm hoping to lose at least 50lbs. Best of luck to you!
  • Jeannemum
    Options
    Hi there! Welcome - I'm new too, first week. I'll add you - I had a physical last year and was close to being ruled hypothyroid as well but they told me to come back and they'd check again. We'll see what happens after I go back. I'm hoping to lose at least 50lbs. Best of luck to you!

I started with it being borderline, but it has kept failing more and more every time it is re tested. That is despite the medication being raised each time. Next month is the next test, so fingers crossed it is better.

Thank you for the add Soaps :)
  • kiarajade1
    kiarajade1 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hello.

I have an underactive thyroid and appreciate the problem of losing weight. If you have any secrets on how to shed pounds let me know please. I have put on nearly 5 stone since being diagnosed and even though I am on medication it is still difficult.
  • cweiler4
    cweiler4 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I have been hypothyroid for almost 9 years. The weight loss is slow when your thyroid is underactive. Make sure to stay on top of your meds and your check ups. It took almost 7 years to get my meds in "check". They were constantly changing.

Weight loss will happen, don't get discouraged!! Feel free to add me if you like! Good luck on your journeys!
  • ka3343
    ka3343 Posts: 45
    Options
    Hello!
    I feel your pain! How are you doing now??
    I have had U.T since birth and it is very hard to stay encouraged.

Please let me know if you have any food ideas?
    K x
  • kiarajade1
    kiarajade1 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I find that having the app on my phone helps me to stay focussed in what I buy. The barcode reader is a definite plus
  • gleechick609
    Options
    I have an under active thyroid as well with nodules. I don't take meds but I can tell you that healthy diet, junk foods in moderation and exercise is the best thing! I was told that my weight wouldn't come off by my doctor and med's wouldn't help either. I am down 44 lbs in 6 months. You CAN do it!
  • bjbixler
    bjbixler Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Hi! I was diagnosed last year with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, a form of hypothyroidism. Basically my immune system has singled out my thyroid for attack, causing it to enlarge and function poorly.

Was most or all of my gradual weight gain the last few years from the thyroid dysfunction I'll never know, but since starting thyroid replacement and using MFP to track my calories and regular exercise I've managed to lose almost 70 lbs in the last 8 months. It wasn't easy and I know it will never be, but by keeping up with regular checkups with my endocrinologist I am now on a proper dose of medication. I will tell you I've noticed a profound improvement in my energy level, which in turn allows me to exercise more. Just keep at it, you can totally do it. Remember, slow & steady wins the race. :)
  • crazyellybean
    crazyellybean Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Make sure to follow up with your doctor to get the right dose, once you get the right dose your thyroid works normal. It took me two tries to get mine under control.

Once I did that, I was able to lose weight fine.
  • dino_girl
    dino_girl Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I am in my 3rd month of synthroid after being diagnosed with hypothroidism.... She kept me on the same dosage since last checkup, but I am hoping it doesn't take as long as I am hearing from some of you....would be really discouraging....
  • MummyOfSeven
    MummyOfSeven Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Hi. I am new here, and am desperate to lose weight after gaining 4 stones in the last year. I am taking medication for my thyroid, but as yet it still isn`t stable. My aim is to lose 70 pounds plus. Fingers crossed that this time I can get it off and keep it off. I would love to make some supportive friends, and hope I can return that support to you :smile:

Oooo, snap! My hypothyroidism is caused by my being on Lithium for bipolar disorder though.
    I was already a stone overweight, then gained another four in under a year.
    Since being on MFP (192 days) I have lost 19 lb. It's not a huge loss, but it IS staying off :smile:
  • AlisonAgnew50
    AlisonAgnew50 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone i'm new to this so i hope i'm doing it right. I have an underactive thyroid, which i'm also hyperactive with it. I don't need to loose much weight, i'm one of the lucky ones, but i do have to keep an eye on what i eat or the weight goes on so easy. I would like to loose a stone and i find this program relay good at keeping an eye on what you are eating, xxx
  • Froglet95
    Options
    I have just joined and I too have an under active thyroid, I am convinced my medication is not right so I am off to my GP hopefully this week. I also suffered a nervous breakdown in 2010/11 and have piled on the pounds even though I watch my calories and do Zumba at least once a week and started walking with my husband once a week, I have very little alcohol, I don't smoke, and have skimmed milk, I do have a sweet tooth, but as I say I watch my calories, but its still piling on, so any advice/guidance much appreciated.

:happy:
  • Moosey75
    Options
    Hi I'm new and I also have hypothyroidism... mine is from Hashimoto's. :)
  • blondize
    Options
    I have no thyroid and I just started this program I dont know how it will work with my thyroid.
  • ntm76
    ntm76 Posts: 25
    Options
    I was diagnosed with Hypothroidism a little less than a month ago . Was put on 100mcg of Synthroid which was too high for me ( all I did was sleep or jittery ) Cut down to 50mcg for about a week and just went back to 100.

I did find a hypo/hyper group here that you all may want to check out as well
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/753-hypothyroidism-and-hyperthyroidism
  • shvits
    shvits Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Had 1/2 of my thyroid out a month ago and still finding the right dose of meds. Not easy. At least I'm not hungry all of the time and in pain. I seem to be able to loose a bit even with my thyroid levels low. How much is yet to be seen. Monthly to M.D. for medication tweaking and hopefully a bit of weight loss also. I found when I was on anti thyroid meds I would get sad and eat more.....such a complicated gland. Be patient.......keep up your mood and don't get sad and overeat. There are other things besides food to help.
  • jsuk30
    jsuk30 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi I am new here. I was recently diagonsed with hypothyroid. the paradox is that i am actually losing weight and i dont gain weight whatever (or how much!) i eat. but i need to keep an eye on what i am eating as my cholestrol is bit high. would love to hear from anyone who is in same situation.
  • tamiesue2
    tamiesue2 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Also suffering from hypothyroidism after having Graves Disease. I gained 50 pounds and now trying to get it off!!

Here is some info for those struggling to lose weight:

However, for most patients, taking synthetic hormones alone will not be sufficient for managing weight. Eating a diet that is high in protein and fiber and low in processed carbohydrates and sugars is also essential to weight loss. Since the body no longer has the ability to manufacture certain types of proteins, eating a diet that is rich in animal proteins like eggs and meats can help compensate for the deficiency. Also, being cautious of the amount of sugars ingested is also important due to the decreased capacity to turn the sugar into energy. Even with medication, the bodies of individuals without a thyroid will first attempt to turn ingested sugar into stored fat before it utilizes it as energy.

At least 60 minutes of cardio daily is necessary to help the medications process ingested carbohydrates as well as deal with the easily accumulated stored fat. Strength training is also essential, as muscle burns calories continuously day and night and helps prevent the accumulation of fat.

Foods to avoid on hypothyroid diet: walnuts, soy beans, broccoli, cabbage, sprouts, turnips, cassava,pine nuts, millet, mustard, tea, coffee, alcohol, peaches, strawberries, peanuts, tofu and processed carbohydrates

Foods recommended on hypothyroid diet: cinnamon, blueberries, avocado, flax seeds, cayenne, hemp seeds, grapefruit and dairy products
  • Jeannemum
    Options
    Thank you for all the replies. I can see getting the dose right to stabilize the condition is hit and miss. Mine has been changed 5 times so far, but is still wrong. I wonder if the gained weight can make it harder to stabilize.