Yoga

Options
Can anyone recommend a good book or dvd for a beginner? I haven't done yoga for about 9 months now. I used to use the wii but we don't have it anymore. I know some of the basics but need something to pull it all together. Any suggestions???

Thanks x

Replies

• yoga4rkids
    Options
    yes, Rodney Yee AM yoga is great- it has five 20 minute workouts to try. Different categoies like standing poses, twists etc. You can find it on Amazon.

I also like Yoga-Fit DVD's by Beth Shaw- also on Amazon.

Good luck starting Yoga again!
  • vestarocks
    vestarocks Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    There are some good ones available, free online. I can't remember specific ones off the top of my head but I'll check my bookmarks and get back to you.
  • tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    Options
    Rodney Yee is a good purchase - has lots of variety available.

Sara Ivanhoe is my favorite - Candlelight Yoga is a good beginner one because it's slow moving and concentrated on form rather than flow. Search for her on Amazon and you can't go wrong (just don't get the "for Dummies" one).

The Yoga Bible is a great book that shows poses with information about variations and what poses it should follow or lead into. Also, www.jogayournal.com is a great reference with similar information and you can build a practice/sequences that works for you.

YouTube is great because it has free, full sessions available - look up "yogatic" and "yogayak".
  • ljma84
    ljma84 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    It depends what you are looking for. The DVDs I always go back to are the two by Barbara Benagh - Yoga for Beginners and Yoga for Stress Relief. They are both Hatha Yoga and really help stretch your muscles out.
  • dlj1970
    dlj1970 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Hi There! I love this one. I'm a little more advanced, but I still think she's great. Perfect pace for a beginner.
    http://www.amazon.com/Element-Am-PM-Yoga-Beginners/dp/B001AYWY68
  • sim247
    sim247 Posts: 354
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the great suggestions. I am off work today so I'll check all of these out!
  • addieyoga
    Options
    Hi there! I love yoga, so I think it's great that you're getting back into it. I think you'll enjoy doing full routines with a DVD or in a class even more than the single poses you can do on the Wii. Having the poses connected together for a purpose makes the whole routine feel so much better.

I personally got started with the Rodney Yee video that someone mentioned above (back then it was on VHS tape...). But there are some great short (and free!) videos by Leeann Carey, who is an excellent teacher. Try this one to start: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmMKvFd7ZDU&feature=player_embedded#!. You can find more on her website, too - www.leeanncareyyoga.com.

Good luck!
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Bump