My First Half Marathon- Complete! :)

Options
sc1572
sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
Ever since I was chosen in the lottery drawing for the half marathon in June 2011, I have been training. My NYR for 2010 was to workout everyday when possible, and for 2011 it was to run a half marathon. I ran my first 5K a couple months ago, time of 27:45, and a week later ran another at 25:27. Today, I went into the race with a goal of 2:30:00, and to run 2 miles, walk 1/2, and alternate until the end. My results ended up being 2:10:05, and I ran the entire 13.1 miles, minus water stations. During the training, the most I ever ran continuously before walking was 3 miles.

Years ago, I would have never saw myself doing this. I was about 5'5 and around 160 lbs, and now am down to about 128. I used to hate exercising, and now it's my favorite time of the day. Crossing the finish line of the race today was literally the best feeling in the world. Of course there were times I wanted to stop, but I told myself "Mind Over Matter "= "You Can Do This" and was driven by the other runners and all of the supporters on the sides, as well as the animal shelter I was running it for to raise money. Today, I can officially call myself a runner, and I can't wait to do more races, even though I currently can't feel my toes or legs.

It may sound cliche, but I couldn't have done it without my MFP friends. I love them so much, and their constant support has gotten me through each day!

:)

393863_2964750128393_1550837193_32765574_1742355345_n.jpg

Replies

• brookepenni
    brookepenni Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    That is incredible!!! Congratulations!!! I'm just starting my running, training now for a 10km race so I find this so inspiring. I've been running 5kms for a while now, but so excited to get 10kms under my belt!!!
  • squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    SO proud of you, amazing job!! You've been dedicated to this Journey and it has PAID OFF!!

Cheers to many more finish lines to cross! Xo
  • missbis
    missbis Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! What an inspiration. Good job. =)
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Way to go! I'm training now for my first 1/2 in September. You are a great inspiration:-)
  • girlontherun5
    girlontherun5 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! That's a great accomplishment :)
  • AmyEm3
    AmyEm3 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I'm hoping to run my first half marathon this summer.
  • efranz12
    efranz12 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Running my first half at the end of April. SO nice to see other "amateur" runners making it through :)
  • Bekzness
    Bekzness Posts: 122
    Options
    You are amazing!!

I'm stuck on 5k's and hope to have success like yours in the future... thank you for the inspiration! I still know I couldn't run a half marathon just a few weeks after only running a max of 3miles!!
  • drivermarshy
    Options
    Wow ur my inspiration. Mainly do 5ks at the mo but have one 6.7 miles and one 10 miles under my belt. Next goal is for the half marathon. Ice done a great job. Full marathon next?? :)
  • aircantu1
    aircantu1 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!
  • ccbing
    ccbing Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Awesome!!!!
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Awesome time!! Congrats on your first marathon!!!
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    That's so exciting and inspirational! I'm running my first in April with a similar plan. I used to HATE running so It's great to hear a story from another first timer. You look great too!
  • jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    What an amazing accomplishment! And you finished WAY under your goal time. :) Awesome job.
  • pfeiferfit
    pfeiferfit Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    CONGRATULATIONS!!! AMAZING WORK. :) ENJOY THIS MAJOR VICTORY!!!!!
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    That is incredible!
  • shoover10
    Options
    Hooray! Good job! I am working on getting more comfy with 5k so I can move on to 10k! I can't wait to get there and even further!!
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    Congrats!!!
  • MelissaJ20
    Options
    WOW, what an accomplishment!!! :)
  • princessd3b
    princessd3b Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    YEAHHH!!!! So proud of you!! :D
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!