Depressed- could use friends in the same boat :(

Options
Hey all...my name's Ally, I'm a college student. I've always kind of had issues with depression over the years but this year it's really been creeping up on me. I'm in my first apartment, working a late night job, and I find I get lonely really easy.

and junk food...well, it cheers me up, at least temporarily. I'm also an avid runner, running around 15-20 miles a week and training for a marathon, so I know the depression is not a result of lack of exercise. I love to run. I hate how eating badly makes my running suffer.

Anyway...I was wondering if anyone was going through anything similar. I need to kick sugary/fatty snacks out of my life and get healthy again, mentally and otherwise. My new year's resolution this year was to be happy, and I want so badly to make that happen!

So....friends? :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Jettatastic
    Options
    I tend to do eat junk when I'm lonely as well. Would love to be friends. Adding you.
  • Stutz77
    Stutz77 Posts: 113
    Options
    I have gone through the same thing when I was in college and right now am living in a big house all alone and it sucks. I am away from my family and my hubby right now due to our jobs. I am in cold Montana while is his in sunny Florida! I have to say that Ben & Jerry will stop by to often sometimes, but I working on stopping that and trying my hardest at eating better starting tomorrow! I always try and stay positvie and I find that MFP helps tons. Feel free to add me!
  • mttroublemaker
    mttroublemaker Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Well I am not in college and I could be your Mother, age wise, but I know about depression and not having a lot of friends. I am recently divorced after 10 years of marriage. I have an issue with when your husband cheats on you. Go figure!! I have had to file for bankruptcy, I've lost my home, which I bought by myself, and I have been uemployed for 1.5 years. If that is't depressing I'm not sure what is. :)

What I do know, is that time does help. Keep yourself busy, exercise and think positive. Things will and can get better. Not all by itself though. U really have to work at it. Every single day. Even if it is just getting out and walking around the mall window shopping. Being around people helps. Venting helps. Ask for support! Don't hold it all in. Try writing in a journal. It's good to get it out in any way you can. They have on-line journals that you can just write and write and nobody has to know what you say.

Their are always individuals out there, strangers; like us, that are more than willing to listen and voice our thought and opinions on you. If you would like to be friends I would be more than happy. I too need some help sometimes. My divorce hasn't been final for even a month yet. So believe me, when I say "I know about depression!"
  • Hi there,

I know exactly how you feel. I am depressed for over 3 years now. I have a great boyfriend he truly is the best thing in my life and makes me happy but I can't manage to get out of that deep dark black hole. At times I am doing better and then there are times that I feel like giving up on things and I wish I didn't even exist. I would never harm myself but I do have very bad mood swings. Anyways try not to give in on food. I used to do that too but after I would feel even worse. Now I just try to resist it and go on here or anything else that inspires me to lose weight. I just started to lose weight.. like 2 weeks ago but I'm doing it slowly and not keep myself from everything. You can do it. As long as you believe in yourself. Don't ever think you are nothing or you aren't worth a thing. Because you are! Good luck girl. Add me if you like. :)