Which exercises to try?

Options
I've been getting on the treadmill several times this week for about 30 minutes each time...but I want to also try some new exercises out.. ANY IDEAS?
I want to loose weight and just walking on a treadmill may not cut it...
I need to try something new, I just don't know where to start!..
Any Advice?! It would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    DO you want to lose inches or lose a number on a scale? If it is inches, get your booty to the weight equipment.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    We need a little more info! Do you belong to a gym or will you be working out at home?
  • mmonconduit
    mmonconduit Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Here is a website that has free pilates and cardio workouts, I've only done her pilates and I love it. http://blogilates.com/
  • amberbento
    Options
    DO you want to lose inches or lose a number on a scale? If it is inches, get your booty to the weight equipment.
    Inches would be great! and thanks!..I'll get on that!
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I was wondering if you're working out at home or in a gym as well.

If you're in a gym, head over to the weight training equipment and get someone to show you the basics.

If you workout at home and can't do the gym, consider investing in some weights and maybe some dvds for beginners - 30 Day Shred is a good way to introduce yourself to new movements using weights and your own bodyweight for resistance, and it's only 27 minutes. It's challenging but totally doable. Gets in some beginner weight training and cardio all in the same workout and gets results in terms of inches off your body. And you can bump up the difficulty by doing 2 levels instead of 1 or by using progressively larger weights.
  • amberbento
    Options
    We need a little more info! Do you belong to a gym or will you be working out at home?
    I work out at home..30-35 minutes on the treadmill each time starting to do it at least 5 times a week.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    lift weights
  • amberbento
    Options
    Here is a website that has free pilates and cardio workouts, I've only done her pilates and I love it. http://blogilates.com/
    Thank you!..I'm going to look into that! :D
  • Thelma6658
    Options
    Zumba for WII has worked for me. It is the only exercise that i look forward to doing almost every day! I am addicted to it!!! It's not a bad thing to be addicted to actually!! Really...give it a try. It is so much fun!
  • People always look for the "perfect" exercises to try, don't fall into that hole.

If you want to burn more cals, then the obvious answer is to engage as many muscles in one movement as you can...in short compound movements do that.

However, you should also be aware that compound movements are also very high contributors to bad form and injuries, so you should start with bodyweight exercises first before you add any resistance. Make sure you check your form and see if your doing it right as your body will compensate for bad form by involving other muscles to pick up the slack increasing the chance for injuries.

Hope that helps :D
  • amberbento
    Options
    I was wondering if you're working out at home or in a gym as well.

If you're in a gym, head over to the weight training equipment and get someone to show you the basics.

If you workout at home and can't do the gym, consider investing in some weights and maybe some dvds for beginners - 30 Day Shred is a good way to introduce yourself to new movements using weights and your own bodyweight for resistance, and it's only 27 minutes. It's challenging but totally doable. Gets in some beginner weight training and cardio all in the same workout and gets results in terms of inches off your body. And you can bump up the difficulty by doing 2 levels instead of 1 or by using progressively larger weights.
    I will make sure to try it! thank you!
  • mmonconduit
    mmonconduit Posts: 51 Member
    Options

I've lost weight and inches from pilates. 6 pounds in 5 weeks I decided to measure 2 weeks after I started but in 3 weeks I lost 1.5 inches from my waist and 1.5 inches from my hips.
  • TamsinEllis
    Options
    I tend to go on my rower a lot, I also do Zumba and Jillian Michaels dvd's. I'm not a member of a gym so I do everything at home, if I can ever get round to affording gym membership fee (and the money it'll cost to get there and back since I live a good 40minutes away from any gyms and bus fare alone is £5 for a return home so if I need to get 2 buses that'll end up costing more then the gym membership I'm sure). Plenty of people have lost weight, but mostly inches doing Jillian Michaels workout dvd's (they're cheap on Amazon), Zumba is just fun (for me at least) and definitely helps me burn lots of calories, and my rower whilst it is cardio, I also have the tension on it turned up quite high and have definitely built quite a bit of muscle in my arms from that. But weight lifting is great for you from what I've heard/seen and if I could afford to go gym that would be what I worked on.
  • glenr79
    glenr79 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    if you stay on the treadmill increase the incline to 12% and you will burn a lot more calories.... something that burns more calories is the elliptical if your gym has a good one, and if you get bored listen to music on your ipod.... do you lift weights?? to lose weight you have to lift weights as well as cardio... and always do cardio after you lift weights, you burn more fat that way
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Ok, since you are working out at home, definitely get your hands on a variety of small hand weights, not sure of your ability, but I have everything from 1.5 lbs to 8 lbs at home, but at the gym I usually use 10 to 12.5 lbs. You can also use kettlebells or resistance bands. There are some good kettlebell workout DVD's, but I also find a lot of great at home workouts in Oxygen Magazine. They have a special issue on the stands right now called "Fat Loss," I got it when they put it out last year and it really got me started towards meeting my fitness goals. If you have a weight bench or any other equipment, give it a try! Also, what about running on the treadmill? You can start an interval training program that will help you increase your endurance. Hope some of this helps!
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    lift weights

This
  • TexasRaised89
    TexasRaised89 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Definetly check out Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred, it's 3 levels. You are doing strength training, cardio & abs. It's only about $9 at Walmart & Target. You will need a set of dumbells. I use 5 pounders. I really enjoyed it and you will feel results quickly. Another one of her DVD's is Extreme Shed & Shred. I just started that one and so far love it.
  • determinedsocialworker
    Options
    I agree with others.. grab a video and yup, Shred is amazing.. start doing some lunges and squats, throw in some crunches, try to do some level of pushup...all of these are great bodyweight exercises that you can do at your level... but if you're new, it's great to watch someone to make sure you're doing it right and you don't injure yourself, which is why a video might be a good thing for you.. lots of luck... throw in some jumping jacks, skip rope.. walking is great... keep up the good work!!
  • Lanna74
    Lanna74 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I sent you an email!

Whatever you decide, just stick with it and move that body more every chance you get! I once heard never to lie down when you can sit and never sit when you can stand. Go one step further and move!

Jillian Michaels DVDs are inexpensive and awesome. If you purchase one (like 30 Day Shred or Ripped in 30) also get her cardio workout called Banish Fat, Boost Metabolism. It's a combination of the strength training and cardio that will get you in shape the quickest.

She's good!
  • amberbento
    Options

I've lost weight and inches from pilates. 6 pounds in 5 weeks I decided to measure 2 weeks after I started but in 3 weeks I lost 1.5 inches from my waist and 1.5 inches from my hips.
    That is amazing! Great job!