Golf

Options
I play golf and when I do I walk and carry my own bag. When I log a 4 hour round of golf it says I have burned 2700 calories. Can anyone confirm that this is correct

Replies

• RKJR925
    RKJR925 Posts: 254
    Options
    I play golf and when I do I walk and carry my own bag. When I log a 4 hour round of golf it says I have burned 2700 calories. Can anyone confirm that this is correct
  • healthychic
    Options
    I don't know about that, all I know is I wish I could be outside golfing right now, I hate Michigan!!!

:heart: Danielle
  • alyfin
    alyfin Posts: 103
    Options
    I can't confirm that specifically, but I can tell you that whenever I am calculating a number about my body (calories burned in an exercise, BMR, max heart rate, healthy weight range, etc.) I always go to 4 or 5 different calculators and take the average. Just type in a search engine "exercise calorie calculator." I always try to get at least one or two medical/nutrition versions and one European. A lot of American sites seem to calculate more generously than European ones.
    default Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I wish that was true about golf, I doubt it's possible to burn 2700 calories during a golf round. Plus, a beer every other hole doesn't help.
  • Buckfo
    Buckfo Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I found an article that puts the number a little lower on About.com. According to the article 1750/18 holes would be burned if carrying clubs. I also looked up how many calories would be burned to walk 8 miles (about double the length of a course) and it's just over 800 cal for a 200lb person. I'd say 2700 is definitely pushing it.

http://golf.about.com/od/fitnesshealth/a/golfphysical.htm
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    My old ex phys textbook has a pretty extensive table of different activities.

It list the energy expenditure for golf at:

0.085 Kcal/kg/min

Which is slightly more than if lists for "walking, normal pace, fields and hillsides"

Golfing doesn't expend a huge amount of calories. .
  • csw5048
    csw5048 Posts: 26
    Options
    Yeah I doubt that- Unless your playing in Port Angeles, WA where everything is uphill sharply.