Small snacks and stavation mode theory. Right or wrong?

Options
Before I start, I'd like to say that I'm NOT going to do this. It's just a theory that I'm wondering about.

Okay, I've read over and over again about how you need to keep your metabolism up and about starvation mode... so would you be able to keep your metabolism up but your calories extremely low if you just eat a small snack once every two to three hours that you're awake. Small snack meaning like 100 calories.

This would mean that if you slept for 8 hours a night and were awake for 16 hours and you ate 100 calories every two hours, you'd only consume 800 calories. Would you still go into starvation mode since you're still eating rather often?

Again, I know this is not a healthy diet and that a person would not get the nutrition needed and I'm definitely not suggesting anyone do a diet like this. I'm just wondering if you could eat under 1200 calories and still not get into starvation mode.

(Again, my schedule wouldn't allow for this type of diet anyway)

Really, I don't want to hear about how this isn't healthy because this is a rhetorical question.

Replies

• stephanielindley422
    Options
    I have no idea. Interesting theory, though.
  • jid314
    jid314 Posts: 71
    Options
    What I personally wonder about this "starvation mode" is how anorexics get down to 70 pounds and you can count every bone in their body. I'm not 100% that I believe starvation mode exists - but I don't necessarily believe that it doesn't, either.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Yes, you would still go into starvation mode eventually. Your body needs fuel in quantity, not frequency.
    What I personally wonder about this "starvation mode" is how anorexics get down to 70 pounds and you can count every bone in their body. I'm not 100% that I believe starvation mode exists - but I don't necessarily believe that it doesn't, either.

They also have no muscle. That's what starvation mode is -- your body burns muscle instead of fat.