How many times am I going to let this HAPPEN!??

Options
I am {again} starting over. I can't believe I am saying that again! Its so frustrating.
I have been getting in at least 30 minutes of cardio at least 3 days a week for the month of May (5 days a week the last 2 weeks!), but I just dont know what to do about my eating.

I LOVE the stuff I know is going to rack up my calorie totals, but I just cant seem to find anything healthy I really like that I dont eventually get burned out on! Ill do good for a few days or maybe even weeks and then, bam, the fried chicken is back because I am SO tired of carrots and chicken.

I cant cook. (I mean, I "BURN-spaghetti-even-with-supervision" cant cook) so I need easy ways to stick to my choices!

:( anyone there with me? {again!?}

Replies

• j4nash
    j4nash Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    My wife is in a very similar situation. She can't cook (burns water) and loves her fried/fast food. Why not designate one day a week for indulgence so you don't get burned out?
  • FluffnStuff
    FluffnStuff Posts: 387
    Options
    Don't take this wrong...but maybe instead of the "starting over again" attitude... you just continue on.
    Don't "start over" just continue.

Also, I've been on here a year and don't have HUGE numbers to show for it, but I am doing small steps. I don't want to give up certain foods yet, so I haven't, but I have made other adjustments and GRADUALLY change the "bigger" things.

Does that make sense?
    If you continually think, "Damn, messed up again..." or "I can't have this...or this...or this..." you are gonna be counter productive.

Also, I teach home ec... I could dig up some of the recipes I have my kids learn.

Baby steps...
    :flowerforyou:
  • Hemis_mom
    Hemis_mom Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of really easy recipes on here try some of those. Sometimes in the freezer section of my grocery store they have already prepared meals that you basically just heat up and they are easy, taste good and if you choose the right ones not so bad for you (like shrimp fried rice)
    It is hard eating healthy I try to eat a variety fruits and cottage cheese, salads with different types of veggies in them, I also love making pizza on boboli whole wheat crust (you can't mess that up) and sometimes I treat myself it is the only way to survive
    Do you have a grill I just got one and now the hubby cooks and I don't have to I tricked him right into it!!
    Good Luck
  • IUChelle423
    IUChelle423 Posts: 197
    Options
    :laugh: I'm with you! Sweets are my weakness! Hang in there - you can do this!

As far as cooking, I once burned one of those "just put it in the skillet" dinners and then (this is way worse) got distracted and didn't rinse one of the bowls after washing it so my husband got burned soapy dinner. He took a few bites before finally telling me he had to throw it out. I tasted some of his and I can't believe he took a 2nd bite! :laugh:

We now have a few staples in our house for dinners:
    Ground Turkey - use for chili, spaghetti, meatloaf muffins
    Chicken - use grilled, in casseroles or with fajitas
    Chicken potstickers (from Costco)
    Veggie patties
    Soup
    Salad

Hope that helps! Best of luck!
  • amylynne26
    amylynne26 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I am with you... finally I decided I just had to learn to cook. lol I HATE cooking. I really do. But I have found some things (this is pretty new, like literally the past couple of months) that aren't so hard and I love the end result so much that it's worth it. Squash, for example. I love butternut squash. A month ago I couldn't have identified a squash if my life depended on it and now I can't stop eating them. They are so easy - slice it in half, a little butter, salt, pepper, slap it in the oven for an hour and it comes out so tasty, tender, healthy...

I got sick of chicken breasts too so I just started trying different sauces and coatings to change the flavors and it makes a huge difference. Cover it in italian dressing and bake - delicious. Cover in BBQ sauce and bake - delicious but different enough that I can stand eating chicken more often lol. Same thing with pork chops, the lean cuts aren't too bad.

I tried a bunch of different cookbooks but even the "easy" ones are too damn complicated for me so I just google my ingredient (the squash, for example) and find a recipe that doesn't make me want to run to McDonalds.

Good luck, and remember you are not alone!!!!!!!!!
  • Channing
    Channing Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I CANNOT COOK!!!! Seriously. However, the microwave and George Foreman grill are my best friends!:happy:
  • pinkyjane48
    pinkyjane48 Posts: 81
    Options
    lol, thank you guys!! I'm glad to know Im not the only one out in the adult world that missed the whole "domestic" week at school! lol.

I have a to do list now :)
    -George Foreman
    -Chicken sauces/flavorings/dressing
    -Ground turkey (I always forget about that!)
    -Veggie patties
    -Boboli :) hehe
    -and and "indulge" reward day- Definetly saturday. That way if I do 5 days of workouts, I can relax

And BRILE I AM SO EXCITED!! I never thought of getting tips from a home ec teacher- We didnt have it at my school and I totally over looked that most people get TAUGHT! lol. I'd love some "baby step" recepies!!
  • FluffnStuff
    Options
    lol, thank you guys!! I'm glad to know Im not the only one out in the adult world that missed the whole "domestic" week at school! lol.

I have a to do list now :)
    -George Foreman
    -Chicken sauces/flavorings/dressing
    -Ground turkey (I always forget about that!)
    -Veggie patties
    -Boboli :) hehe
    -and and "indulge" reward day- Definetly saturday. That way if I do 5 days of workouts, I can relax

And BRILE I AM SO EXCITED!! I never thought of getting tips from a home ec teacher- We didnt have it at my school and I totally over looked that most people get TAUGHT! lol. I'd love some "baby step" recepies!!

I'll dig around and find some.
    I really try to help influence my students to eat healthier, even if some of the items are processed.
    Even the ones who can't boil water have a good time. :laugh:

I'm a single parent with a picky daughter... so I basically cook 2 meals.
    Some of the things I've found that are necessities:
    Seasoning blends (I love the ones with the grinders in the lids) - low sodium
    English muffins (I use them to make little pizzas)
    Grill (totally agree with the George Foreman, love those)
    Stir-fry veggie blends (heaven!)
    Minute brown rice ready-serve cups (microwave for a minute and bam you are ready)
    "indulge" day (I STILL am working on controling this...l for me it turns into a whole weekend)

I'll find a few good ones.
    A few sites I pull stuff from are:
    Allrecipes.com
    Kraftfoods.com
    Myrecipes.com
    Tasteof Home.com

***Edit: I am HORRIBLE at getting in my protein, but Carnation Instant breakfast drink is AWESOME! I think it's like 13 grams of protein! It's not "clean" but it works for what I need it to. I use it as a snack more then a breakfast mixed with skim milk.
  • mnichol
    mnichol Posts: 642
    Options
    I dont do alot of cooking at this time.

breakfast: oatmeal, lite muffin w/peanut butter
    Lunch: Fage yogurt, fruit
    snack: protein bar, fruit
    dinner: boca burger, froz veg from bag. egg whites on bun
  • pinkyjane48
    Options
    oh goody :) My hubby is going to go white with shock to see me come home with an ACTUAL grocery list!! haha
  • FluffnStuff
    Options
    Emailing a few of my basic recipes I have on file.

:flowerforyou:
  • pinkyjane48
    Options
    yum!! I just got the first 2 emails :) Thanks!!!
    :happy:
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    try oven fried chicken--it's so easy. Just take the chicken (I use thighs), shake it in a bag with seasoned bread crumbs (any kind of seasoning you like) and put it on a broiler pan. Bake at 400 for 30-40 min depending on the size.
  • pinkyjane48
    Options
    I am printing out this entire thread and putting it on my fridge tonight.

I'm so glad I got back on here :):heart:
  • FluffnStuff
    Options
    Other sites that are awesome....

Pork - www.theotherwhitemeat.com
    Turkey - www.eatturkey.com

They have TONS of good recipes!
    A lot of them are pretty basic too!
  • adopt4
    adopt4 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    for lunches, not because I can't cook (although I can barely cook) but because I'm usually hungry and in a hurry, I get Smart Ones or Lean Cuisine meals. Keeps the calories down, there's a lot of variety.
  • FluffnStuff
    Options
    I forgot my lunch today but keep a bag of lettuce at school just in case I do this (which is normal). I also had a a few breaded chicken breast tenders, light ranch dressing pouches and Snyders Buffalo Wing bits... Toss it all together... and AWESOME buffalo Chicken salad! Really easy too
  • TeresaV
    TeresaV Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Weightloss is a life long journey. As stated before don't think of it as starting over you are just on another leg of your journey.:flowerforyou:

An electric grill such as a george foreman is awsome, if you like salmon you can get a bag of frozed sections at the store. I get them from Walmart, put a little seasoning you like on it and it takes just a few min on the grill, add some frozen steamed veggies and maybe some rice or noodles that you like and there you go lunch or dinner in less that 20 minutes.
  • Valtishia
    Valtishia Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    The grill is a great idea although I don't use mine at all right now since it is nice enough for the BBQ.

I have 2 suggestions for you.
    1. Spices can be your best friend. Just avoid the salt loaded ones. They are coming out with no salt spices more and more, and there are so many wonderful flavours out there that have no sodium or next to none.
    2. Every recipe ever made from the beggining of time was perfected through trial and error which is much they way people learn to cook as well if they are not taught. There is nothing saying you can't try something that you have never heard of. It may not be great.. but then again some experiments will be fabulous. Myself for example... I love spicy food. I decided one day to cook up pieces of chicken breast in a wok with lots of cayenne and once cooked I dumped in fresh cut pineapple for about 2 mins. Not long enough to cook it, just enough to warm it. Mix it all up so the cayenne ends up all over the pineapple and absolutely yummy!!! Whether anyone has ever made this before, I have no idea but I have yet to meet anyone who likes spicy food and pineapple not like that dish.