How long to work out?

Options
I just started working out and I don't want to get in over my head. I'm 5'9 and 306 lbs and I worked out for 30 minutes today doing my zumba game for 20 mins and a boxing session for 10 mins on the xbox kinect. I was wondering if this is a good start or should I work out more? I am exhausted in a good kind of way. The boxing game makes you duck punches, and i'm not talking about leaning back. It makes you actually duck the punches the robots throw. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you in adavnce everyone.

Replies

• Echo17121
    Echo17121 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Any activity is a good start! Usually at least 30 mins will get your heart rate up. And I know how that boxing game can be! I do turbofire which is like kickboxing and after playing that game for about ten minutes I was crazy sore the whole next day! It is a great upper body workout!
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    In general I do 90 minutes of cardio with 30 minutes of resistance 6 days a week.

I rest resistance Tuesday and cardio every 10 days or so.
    My resistance is lower weights but high reps, then heavy every 3rd workout.

And I split my body into 3 muscle groups:
    1. Legs
    2. Chest- triceps - shoulders
    3. Arms - back

I do a lot of weird things for cardio like military march, boxing type training,
    dancing, floor rolls, squat thrust intervals and the good ole jumping jack.
    And I jog, swim, play tennis, fast walk and bike.

Lost 64lbs and nearly 20% body fat - it works for me.
  • Jayme34
    Jayme34 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    30 minutes is a great start, i am doing the "curves for women" 30 minute circuit and it definately is a great workout. I say start slow and build up as you get used to it. No sense in overdoing it then you will be less likely to stick to it in the long run. Good luck:)
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    I do from 25-45mins when I work out. I use my elliptical, go for a walk when its nice and do the curves circuit mainly for the strength/resistance training.
  • karagav
    karagav Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    honestly, i would just go with what you're body's feeling and telling you!
    when i started at my highest weight, i did running outdoors and man, was this hard! i could only go for 10 minutes at first but slowly worked my way up to an hour.
    your body has to adjust in so many ways, so take it day by day and you will see results - i KNOW it :)
  • mrsvampette
    mrsvampette Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Thank y'all!!! My fiance and I are getting married in October of this year and I need to lose the weight for me. I thought starting out with 30 mins was a good start because my body is aching. I tried to do more but my body said a resounding "slow down" and "no". But thanks for all your insipring words and I know everyone has the tools to lose weight as long as we stick to it!!!!
  • MariaAlbinaxoxo
    MariaAlbinaxoxo Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I work out 30-60 mins on my stationary bike for 6 days a week.
  • skirtinthedirt
    skirtinthedirt Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    For where you are, 30 mins is a great start, as long as when you are done you are T-I-R-E-D! It should be 30 mins of activity where your heart rate is up in your weight loss range for at least 80% of the workout.

Then what will happen is one day you will get to 30 mins and think, "That wasn't so bad."

Then it's time to start working out for 60 mins. Then when that doesn't leave you exhausted you can go up again, or if you don't have the time, increase your intensity.

One major reason for stalling out and plateaus is not upping the duration and intensity as your body gets stronger and you become more physically fit. So if 30 mins is leaving you tired now, you're doing fine.
  • LoriannMM
    LoriannMM Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    30 minutes is an Awesome start! You said you are aching soak in epson salt, works well!
  • MiekeJ
    MiekeJ Posts: 139
    Options
    It's all about the QUALITY of exercise. I see people fart *kitten* around in the gym ALL the time. They're there before I arrive and are still there when I leave - but they're not really getting anything done.

45-60 mins of exercise that is intense and is actually getting results is a lot better than spending 2 hours on the treadmill in my opinion.

Do a bit of research and come up with a plan of attack - then get in and get it done!

Good luck!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Agree with the others - well begun! You can work on gradually increase the amount of exercise you do - say add on 10 mins per week.
  • PrettyLydie
    PrettyLydie Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I started out two days postpartum just walking or doing light exercises for 20-30 minutes every other day. I am now up to a minimum of 30 minutes of moderate to intense cardio everyday and 40 minutes of resistance exercises every other day. If you push yourself a little bit harder each day, then you'll be surprised where you are in a month or two :) I think that you are off to a great start for someone who is just beginning though! Congratulations on starting your journey!