Life has been cruel, but I AM going to finish what I started

Hi,

I am Lisa a 38 year old single mum from Portsmouth, UK.

Just wanted to say hello and introduce myself.

My Story so far:-

Back in 2007 I weighed in at over 200lbs and over approx 18 months I lost 47lbs getting down to a slim 160lbs in August 2008.

(Before and After Pics on my profile)

To celebrate my success I was invited to do a photoshoot with Slim At Home Magazine which gave me some great photos, a magazine spread and a great day out in London being pampered which was a nice reward for all my hard work!

I lost the weight back then by calorie counting and taking up long distance running. 50+ miles a week!

Unfortunately since then the weight has crept back on. I have had lower back issues on and off for 19 years, which were diagnosed by the physio as being caused by a lack of core strength. How wrong were they!!

In late 2009 I finally got a place in the London Marathon, one of my lifetime goals was to run the marathon before I was 40!! In January 2010 I started my training and over the next few months my back got worse and worse, finally giving out in June 2010. I had an MRI scan and it showed that I had numerous problems with my back which weren't going to get any better. I spent the next year in severe pain, laid up in bed, on strong doses of morphine and going nowhere fast. I was having carers come in several times a day. As a result I ended up losing my children for several months due to not being able to care for them. I eventually got to see a Consultant who told me that there were 5 levels of damage in my lumbar spine and basically there was nothing they could do! This left me completely devastated! Slowly I have managed to get my head round the situation, it's taken some doing, I just felt like my life was over! I realised my long distance running days were unfortunately over, but my life wasn't and this was the way it was going to be!

It's been a tough couple of years to say the least and my health will never be the same again, my head is now in a better place and I am now ready to finish my weightloss journey!

I have managed to lose around 25lbs of my weightgain in the last 6 months on my own, not really doing anything specific but I know to lose the rest of the weight I have to do something a little more structured than luck!

Here we are January 2012 and I am at a starting weight of 178.6lbs and 40% body fat, body fat has always been a bit of an issue for me, doesn't seem to want to go down, at my lowest weight I only went down to 35%.

Looking forward to the rest of my journey and finally finishing what I started!

Lisa

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Hi Lisa, gosh you have been through the mill! Good for you for starting the new year with such a positive approach.
  • GetSetGo73
    GetSetGo73 Posts: 23 Member
    Thanks Melanie and good luck with your weightloss journey!
  • saracoulson
    saracoulson Posts: 11 Member
    Wow! Bad times! Glad you've got yourself together, must have taken some strength of character. Good luck, and I hope this positive attitude stays x
  • blissfuldrake
    blissfuldrake Posts: 128 Member
    Oh, wow. You have been run through the wringer. You have a great can-do attitude and I applaud you for that! What kind of exercise are you planning on doing, what with your back being damaged and all. I'm sure there is plenty to do. Maybe water aerobics?
  • GetSetGo73
    Thank you to everyone for your comments.

Exercise is limited due to my back, thinking about trying swimming?? But depends on the logistics of me getting to the pool in my wheelchair, getting into the pool etc

Going to get on track with the food for a few weeks and then maybe give it ago!

Want to run but that is definately out, it's the only thing exercise wise that I enjoyed doing last time!

Good luck to you all in your weightloss journeys!

X
  • Raach32
    Raach32 Posts: 20
    Wow, you've really been put through quite a bit! I know the feeling of health problems getting in the way of weightloss, but I'm so unbelieveably determined this time!

Good luck to you!

Rach x
  • GetSetGo73
    Good luck to you too Rach x