Trying to lose weight with PCOS.

Options
I am 21 years old and I have PCOS. I weigh over 300 pounds and it's always been a struggle for me to lose weight. Is there any other females out there going through the same thing? I would love to hear what kind of things work for you.

Replies

• Allyson1985
    Options
    I was in this position when I started losing weight.

The only thing that worked for me was going all natural/organic/raw foods and exercising.

Its been hard, but worth it.

Why? Because my recent fertility check says I am back on track with my hormones and I am releasing fertile eggs.

Double win in my opinion.
  • asuicidalkissx3
    Options
    That is wonderful. What medications did they have you on?
  • MeghanAM
    MeghanAM Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I have PCOS, too, and it has been a struggle. I haven't really found anything that particularly "works" unfortunately -- I'm on Metformin but it doesn't seem to do anything for my attempts to lose weight.

Looking forward to reading what others have to say.
  • meg4reed
    Options
    Hello! I too have suffered with PCOS, but one thing I keep hearing over and over is water water water and fiber fiber fiber! Keep up the good work and do your research being well educated on your ailments will empower you to make better decisions! =) Best of luck!
  • CassieCass
    Options
    Hi! I'm 26 and have PCOS. I'm currently on Metformin 500 mg 2-3 times a day. I started changing my eating habits and added exercise 4-6 days a week to my previously mostly sedentary life about 2 months ago and have lost 25 pounds so far. I'm not into diets, they don't work, instead I'm just eating healthier. Fruits and veggies, lean protein, water water water, you know, basically common sense-y kinds of things that we know are good for us. I avoid fried foods and try to eat as fresh/raw as possible. Eating right, exercising and taking my meds as prescribed seems to be helping me. Good luck! We can do this!!! :flowerforyou:
  • venustaurus
    Options
    hi!
    I'm 22 yo and I have PCOS plus Adenomyosis. I can't take any medicine for the PCOS, and luckly I don't have any issues with weight, but that changed after I was on Evra and I started to gain weight.

So now I am exercising and trying to control my eating habits :smile:
  • buggs1958
    Options
    Hi ,
    yes i was always over weight and joined weight watchers last year,lost 50 lbs,but due to econmy my hours are cut back so i had to find alternative.I joined my fittness a week ago and so far i love it i think you will too just follow your daily intake as directed drink your water,and do some exercise.Im walking on a treadmill as winter is upon us here in Illinois,and ive added a routine of weight lifting with dumbells,plus on my lunch hour i walk around the inside of our building for 15 min.I got me a ab lounger and do reps on it. Exercise equipment can be expensive so watch yard sales,newspapers etc.,you can get some good buys. Good luck have faith in yourself and you can do it !!!
  • noyfos
    noyfos Posts: 3
    Options
    I have PCOS and im on metformin as well....w/ PCOS its REALLY hard to lose weight and i find my weight primarily concentrated in my tummy region...which is not cute lol...just gotta push ourselves..i am also over 300 pounds and its an every day struggle....my only option at this point is having weigh loss surgery which i will be having in may :) but dont get me wrong I know people that have PCOS and are losing weight just by diet and exercise...
  • lizc_87
    lizc_87 Posts: 45
    Options
    My name is Liz and I have PCOS. "Hi Liz!". I was diagnosed with PCOS 2 year ago. The only "thing" I have really found that helps me to be able to lose weight is Yaz. If I take Yaz and watch my calories I generally can lose weight. If I stop taking Yaz, I cannot lose weight to save my life. If I have learned anything over the years about PCOS and weight loss is that there is no one size fits all. One of my co-workers also has PCOS and birth-control did not help her at all but doing Medifast did/does. For her it's all about the blood sugar, for me it's all about the hormone levels.

I did Weight Watchers when I was diagnosed with PCOS and lost 50lbs but it was not a lifestyle change. Last year I found MFP on my phone and decided to try it because it is alot like the old WW program. I don't know how much weight I lost at first but I did not keep it off because it was not a lifestyle change and if truth be told, I didn't really want it. I wanted to lose weight but I did not want to change my lifestyle or have to work at losing weight.

During Christmas i hit the highest weight I have ever been in my life and I decided, part in thanks to Super Size Vs Super Skiny (check BBC or Oprah) that if I did not change my lifestyle that by the age of 30 I would HAVE to get something like the lap-band and surgery is not something that I'm to keen on.

I am on MFP everyday and my point in tell you all this is to say: if you've tried once don't give up, everyone's PCOS has to be treated differently and that as PCOSers it's important that we support each other.

Anyone feel free to add me as a friend.