self sabbotage

Options
I started this program seriously in Sept. 08- I lost 25 + lbs. Since about feb- I have gained and lost the same five lbs. I'll start to loose and then all I want to do is binge....I just can't seem to stay focused. I'll eat good all day and then around 4:00 PM I just want to shove food in my face... Before I felt in control.. Now I feel out of control and I don't know how to get the control back.... I keep telling myself don't DO this... I walk away try to do something else but until I give in the cravings won't go away....AAAGHHHH. The only reason I am not gaining is b/c I work out hard 3-5 times a week. I need to loose another 25 lbs. but it feels so out of reach. Help.

Replies

• pinkyjane48
    pinkyjane48 Posts: 81
    Options
    Im with you on the 4pm stuff! I have tried to re-adjust so that my cals in the evening are a little more bc I get SO hungry and the cravings just jump out at me.

I seem to do the self sabo pretty frequently lately, and after my last post, I am trying right now to re-stock my fridge and cabinets with healthy versions of my faves...

ice cream = fro yo with berries
    chips = pretzles or a tomato with a little salt or the quaker rice cake minis
    bread and butter = mini whole wheat bagel with a little low fat pb
    cookies (ooohhh the cookies) = either the 100 calorie packets or a 100 cal choc chip granola bar
    mac n cheese = healthy choice* baked ziti with meat sauce
  • PROUDWIFENMOMMY
    Options
    :mad: OMG I FEEL THE SAME WAY!!! UNTIL........SOMEONE TOLD ME TO LOOK AT MYSELF IN THE MIRROR WHILE I EAT THAT "SOMETHING" UNHEALTHY......9 OUT OF TEN TIMES I WOULD CHANGE MY MIND AND NOT EAT IT:happy: TRY IT ONCE OR TWICE....SEE IF IT WORKS FOR YOU!!! BUT ON A POSITIVE NOTE AT LEAST YOU ARE STILL WORKING OUT:flowerforyou:
  • denisebee
    denisebee Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Good advice... I need to just get rid of my vices.... unfortunately my hubby ( who is also in great shape) wants it in the house... aagghhh. I guess I will let him buy the stuff for himself and maybe he'll be to lazy to go to the store and buy them....
  • acook059
    acook059 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I've only been doing this for 2 weeks, and 3-4 pm was always my weakness. I am starting my day with a fairly high fiber breakfast (WW yogurt topped with bran flakes) and my afternoon snack has been also high fiber- Fiber One granola bar(delish- taste like a candy bar) but I notice I'm not having afternoon breakdowns for everything I see.

Also found this great article/site....

http://www.caloriesperhour.com/tutorial_fiber.php

And obviously you know what your doing- 25 pounds is GREAT!!
  • adopt4
    adopt4 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    fiber and protein will make you feel fuller longer, make sure you are eating a snack in the afternoon high in those two things. Also you simpy have to change your environment, hubby will have to get his own because it's too tempting for you to have it around.

Have snacks ready and in pre measured bags so that when you have a craving, you can grab a good for you snack instead, without having to cut up veggies or measure anything. I really needed to do that for me to be successful, and now, I don't need to do that anymore.

You may also be plateauing because your body is used to what you are doing. Change up your routine in exercising, do it a different time of day, do less cardio and more weight training... shake it up.
  • Valtishia
    Valtishia Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I get like that when my body wants starchy foods.. so rather than eating pizza or pasta I will have a rice cake or 2 which will satisfy my starch craving even though its not what I originally thought I wanted. Or if I want something sweet I will have frozen yogurt rather than the mound of chocolate that has created such a beautiful picture in my head :)
    I don't find much use in denying my cravings cause all I will do is eat the house down until my body gets what it wants anyways.

So try paying attention to what you are putting in your mouth when that happens and figure out an appropriate substitute that works for you.
  • JoyousMaximus
    JoyousMaximus Posts: 9,285 Member
    Options
    I used to have that problem. It wasn't even that I wanted something specific. I would just want to eat and eat and eat. So I started by eating dinner and, if i still wanted to eat, I would only let myself eat salad (if you put the dressing on the side then dip your fork in it you get the taste in every bite but use less) and fruit but I could eat as much as I wanted. It helped me get through that phase without gaining weight.
  • SherryRueter
    SherryRueter Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    I am so with you. I eat to eat, self sabbotage. It's not really that I want to eat or even feel hungry, I just want to taste stuff.

*Lets make a challenge...Lets go until July 4th without self Sabotage eating! Anyone with me?
    I'll consider today Day 1 for me!

I like the Idea of eating infront of a mirror...sounds worth a try.
    Another idea...
    1) go weigh your self PRIOR to eating --This motivates me to realise that I don't require all the food I want
    2) Go for a walk or to the gym...exercise. --I find that if I exercise prior to actually giving in to eating that I feel better when I finish exercising and, if I still want to eat I tend to make healthier choices
    3) Tell someone (significant other?) that you really want to snack right now and to *please* help you stay away from snacking. --I even tell my kids to keep me away from the kitchen!
    4) DO NOT and I repeat DO NOT try to eat when others are not looking (closet eating). Try to keep yourself around other people (who are not eating). --I do closet eat...purposefully waiting until people leave the house or make an excuse to leave so that I can get a *fix*. This plan is self sabatage.

If all else fails, exercise like heck after the binge (normally I exercise **HARD** for at least 1 hour afterwards). Then feel guilty..... you know the cycle.

I'll try the mirror idea...I like that one. maybe weigh my self first, then go to the bathroom mirror, while on the scale and try to eat....that should end the binge!
  • j4nash
    j4nash Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    eat at 8am, 12pm, 3-4pm and 6-7pm. 3-4 snack should be a fruit or veggie and a bit of protein to hold you over to dinner.
  • slm638
    slm638 Posts: 64
    Options
    The mirror might just work...I can already see what I look like :noway:

I've never heard it explained so well, adopt4...I admit I have done that many times before - wait for everyone to be gone then raid the cupboard for whatever I can find. Even going to the grocery store by myself is a reason to find something to binge on.

Thanks for the wake up call that I really am self sabotaging!
  • fiftyandfit
    fiftyandfit Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    That's me......self sabotage....do great on the days I work, Mon-Thurs 1200-2200hrs...pack my lunch box, keep it on the front seat of my unit. Only eat what I pack, drink lots of water, chew lots of gum. Come my weekend......I totally blow it!! Spend Friday doing the mommy stuff, laundry, grocery shopping, etc. But I eat just because, not because I'm hungry. :frown:
  • JoyousMaximus
    JoyousMaximus Posts: 9,285 Member
    Options
    The mirror might just work...I can already see what I look like :noway:

I've never heard it explained so well, adopt4...I admit I have done that many times before - wait for everyone to be gone then raid the cupboard for whatever I can find. Even going to the grocery store by myself is a reason to find something to binge on.

Thanks for the wake up call that I really am self sabotaging!

I have SOOO done both of those.

If you are going to binge, do it after exercise (although you probably aren't going to want to), your metabolism is already high so your body won't convert as much to fat. (I read an article on binge eating. I wish I could find it)
    9726172000 Posts: 428
    Options
    This is what I had to do because I would eat alot after I would get off of work in the afternoon. I completly changed the time of day that I would have the sweets or what ever I would usually crave. I would eat them first thing in the morning when I got up. It only took about 3-4 days of this and the cravings have stopped. I no longer crave the sweets, potato chips ect.. Now I start my day with protien and I also end my day with protien. I found out that if my body was getting enough protien everyday I wouldn't crave the bad stuff.
  • pce313
    pce313 Posts: 4
    Options
    For me i buy the hubby things he likes but i dont like. That way im not tempted to eat them. He loves things with coconut and vinegar chips, I despise them so thats what i have been buying for him. As far as for me I have been buying no sugar added fudgesicles or creamsicles and lots of fresh fruit that way when I have that craving I grab one of them. If your drinking that diet soda throw it away because it just makes you crave more sweets. Good luck.
  • SherryRueter
    Options
    Diet soda - :grumble: I totally agree that it makes you crave sweets more. Just the artificial sweetners (like adding them to coffee, on cereal etc), makes you crave more sweets. Drink your water, or juice and cravings are less. (I love diet soda...but I am trying to drink other beverages)

I have not self sabotaged since Thursday, June 4th.:smile: 3 days of clean. I really....really...wanted to last night after supper. Even went to the grocery store but, they had strawberries on sale so I picked them up and when I got home I had a bowl of them (7 or 8). Yummy. and it worked. Then. I have a new rule, not eating after 7:30pm so, I quit eating for the evening.
  • SherryRueter
    Options
    4 days of clean. No self sabotage!
    Instead of ordering Pizza last night for supper, we had a rotisserie chicken and Fruit and frozen mixed vegtables, then I kept busy all night cleaning and such. Keeping busy doing other chores really helps one not even think of food.
  • misty589
    misty589 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    when I'm feeling that way in the late afternoon I have a 100 calorie pack of beef jerky, it eally holds me over (beware though it is REALLY high in sodium 900+ mg)
  • SherryRueter
    Options
    5 days and going strong. Happy Wed.

Today is my work from home day and typically this is the day I completely blow it.:explode:
    Being at home...having access to food....trying to maintain focus on working. The food starts taunting me (my inner voice starts taunting me). I know it happens to all of us at one point or another.

Today is going to be different though. I'm NOT going to do it. I AM going to eat my 3 square meals and NOT sabbotage my body!:happy:

I'm in the middle of doing my workout and really felt the need to do a post on the message board...so I had better get back to my workout.

My idea/tip for today... pre plan what you are going to eat and stick to the plan.
  • junkgypsy
    junkgypsy Posts: 217
    Options
    2 things.

1, whenever I get like that, which is OFTEN!, I find something I can feast on without any guilt. There is a farmer's market right down the street from my house that has HUGE seedless cucumbers. I usually cut one of those up with a little sea salt and it satisfies my need to snack without undoing my day.

2, if the hunger is real bad, try Special K Protein Water. I believe it only has like 60 calories, and it really does help stave off the pangs until your next meal or until you can convince yourself to eat something healthy.
  • SherryRueter
    Options
    :tongue: 6 days and no food binge...I made it through my WFH day! Yahoo! With no binges....which means I didn't have to exercise as long because I was Good. My mind thought about it but, I just said no. I really didn't want to have to post anything negative on the board so, I kept faithful and stayed to my commitment of no food binge.

Great idea on making sure that if you're going to eat, make it something healthy and satisfing.