ok im having a blonde moment.....

Options
xSophia19
xSophia19 Posts: 1,536 Member
but - can you overdose yourself on vitamins?

like the soft chewy vitamins that comes in different flavours??

Replies

• ngcgurl03
    ngcgurl03 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    not so sure i think the label says only to take so many a day. maybe because your body only needs so much of a certain level of each vitamin.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,119 Member
    Options
    Yes. How many did you take?
  • cmriverside
    Options
    There are a few links if you google "overdose vitamins"

• xSophia19
    Options
    i brought a packet today whilst out shopping, and they were sooo nice i ate like 13, and gave like 3 to my friend :laugh:
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Yeah you totally can. One day probably won't hurt unless you ate like half the bottle, but too much of anything really stresses out your liver. Drink tons of water for the next couple days...
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    YES. You can damage your liver, numb your extremeties, give yourself stomach aches or diarrhea, and impact the function of your muscles (including your heart).

http://chemo.net/newpage35.htm

http://www.vitamins-nutrition.org/vitamins/vitamin-overdose.html

http://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancyhealth/symptomsvitaminoverdose.htm
  • capaxinfiniti
    capaxinfiniti Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Yes you can overdose on vitamins

And sometimes the symptoms can be very serious and some vitamin overdoses can result in liver damage.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    i brought a packet today whilst out shopping, and they were sooo nice i ate like 13, and gave like 3 to my friend :laugh:

You do need to be careful of several of them that could have very bad side effects.

http://www.vitaminstohealth.com/vitamin-overdose.html

A vitamin overdose is more of a concern with the fat soluble vitamins - vitamin a, vitamin k and vitamin e - as these are stored in the tissues of the body.

Water soluble vitamins are excreted. Minerals can be taken in excess as they are also stored.

The individual B vitamins, if taken in excess, can lead to an imbalance with the other B vitamins. For this reason, its best to take a vitamin b complex unless you are advised otherwise. If supplementing with single B vitamins, like vitamin B6 to help with pms, take it with a vitamin B complex to minimise any imbalances caused.

What are the symptoms of a vitamin overdose?
  • granof3
    granof3 Posts: 10
    Options
    Hi Sophia. Yes you can! Some vitamins are water soluable like B and C and the body will get rid of what you don't need but some are fat soluable and the body stores what you don't need. Only take the recommended dose. Too much iron for instance can make you feel worse than not enough. Hope that helps!
  • nealgal80
    Options
    uuuuuuuuuuuummmmmmmm. YUMMY. Sounds like taffy to me. I say eat as many as you want.
  • cmriverside
    Options

If you are still living with your parents, maybe you should tell them. That is a LOT more than recommended. It could cause problems.
  • david_swinstead
    david_swinstead Posts: 271 Member
    Options

Haha! They're not sweets!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    uuuuuuuuuuuummmmmmmm. YUMMY. Sounds like taffy to me. I say eat as many as you want.

You should read the posts and look at the links before giving deathly advice.
  • cmriverside
    Options

Are you kidding? Nice first post. SMH.
  • earnestfarley
    earnestfarley Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    it depends on the vitamin or supplement. what many people may not understand is that different doses of vitamins or supplements dramtically change how the body processes it. Check out a clinical study website www.ergo-log.com. The site provides clinical study results for many vitamins and supplements. Also last note, each person is reslly different in terms of what your body needs. My normal is not the same as yours, for example. The typical over the counter multi vitamin is suited to the "average" person.
  • capaxinfiniti
    Options

AWFUL advice!!!
  • xSophia19
    Options
    oh dear. i will be fine though - i also took 3 pro plus tablets before i went out for my jog tonight just to keep me more alert as i was falling asleep on the journey home from shoppping! soo ive had quite a few tablets today!:laugh:
  • xSophia19
    Options
    i live with my mum only. i will have to tell her in the morning as shes fast asleep right now :ohwell:
  • capaxinfiniti
    Options
    oh dear. i will be fine though - i also took 3 pro plus tablets before i went out for my jog tonight just to keep me more alert as i was falling asleep on the journey home from shoppping! soo ive had quite a few tablets today!:laugh:

Be careful on those too! You can get overdose on caffeine and that can affect your heart and kidney

You really need to read the labels on the stuff you're taking. You're making some pretty big risks
  • indigochilds
    indigochilds Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Definitely

To much Vitamin A can actually be poisonous. To much Vitamin C, can give you diarrhea and cramping, which happened to me once trying to fight a cold. I would lay off of the stuff for a little while, as one of the posters said do your research to find out the limitations.

I always felt that vitamins that taste really good was a double edge sword. It can taste soo good you think your eating candy.