Core workouts

Options
For some reason I hate doing core/ab work. I try to engage my core as much as possible when I do my weight training, is that enough or should I just suck it up (instead of in haha) and do core workouts??? I run and I try to engage during that too, but it's much more difficult. How much core work is recommended/necessary?

Replies

• skirtinthedirt
    skirtinthedirt Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    For me it was, and I hated it too. I realized at some point that the reason I hated it was because it was hard, and my core was weak. So i focused on it, big time, and now it's one of my favorite parts of my routine and it changed the whole shape of my body very quickly.

In addition to keeping it engaged during your other activities, I do a core work out (3-4 different exercises) every other workout and that works for me.
  • medoria
    medoria Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    It depends on your goal. If your already in shape but want more definition, then you need to train it more often. If you are more overweight you need to burn fat AND the muscle underneath. I just started doing Ab ripper x, first two times a week and now three times a week, working myself up to doing it five times a week just because I feel it works for me. I get a better posture etc when Im strong in my core. Before Ab ripper x ive only done 6 w 6p which is not by far as hard as Ab ripper, and of course the abmoves that are in 30 ds and Ripped in 30 but it took me about 3- 6 months of doing a mix of different Jillian workouts before I found my constant contraction, and the strength to hold it all the time, in other words, not dropping the belly an relaxing it.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    A good weightlifting routine will do more than enough indirect core work. Find something that involves deadlifts, squats, etc.
  • BundangKiwiGal
    BundangKiwiGal Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I'm with you on this. My core is pretty weak too, so that tells me that I need to focus on that area more. Will be interested to see what other people have to say.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, but I certainly wouldnt be worried about adding a whole core focussed workout to your routine. Thik of your abs like any other muscle... doing a whole session focused on any one muscle (or muscle group) would leave you a quivering mess.

My suggestion would be to add 1-2 hard ab exercises to the end of your routine (eg hanging leg raises or similar). There are several other exercises too. And be sure to give them recovery time too...
  • GeneveSparkles
    GeneveSparkles Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Hmmm maybe I'll add in some planks a few times a week and go from there :)
  • kymora
    kymora Posts: 7
    Options
    I downloaded an abs workout on my iphone and it walks me through some ab work outs, I just started throwing them in and like it, and you can choose a level to
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    For some reason I hate doing core/ab work. I try to engage my core as much as possible when I do my weight training, is that enough or should I just suck it up (instead of in haha) and do core workouts??? I run and I try to engage during that too, but it's much more difficult. How much core work is recommended/necessary?
    If you are doing compound lifts, you are engaging your core if you are doing it correctly. You may just want to do a session or 2 on direct core work weekly and it shouldn't take more than 10-15 minutes.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • GeneveSparkles
    GeneveSparkles Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    If you are doing compound lifts, you are engaging your core if you are doing it correctly. You may just want to do a session or 2 on direct core work weekly and it shouldn't take more than 10-15 minutes.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

This is kinda what I was thinking, thanks for the confirmation.