Time to not eat

Options
kmard81
kmard81 Posts: 212 Member
Is there is a time you will not eat food past?

I have not been eating after dinner for the most part BUT I do shift work and work in a hospital until 11pm some nights and like tonight its almost 8:30 and my stomach is growling at me! I pulled out some carrots to munch on but am wondering if I shouldnt be eating this late...thoughts?

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    There is no issue with eating late when it comes to losing weight. Some medical conditions, like acid reflux, may require one to avoid eating late or shortly before bed, but other than that, if it doesn't bother you, eat when ever you want.

I also work shift work. Many days, the vast majority of my calories are consumed later in the day. It is after 9 pm here and I still have two meals left to eat. I have lost weight with no issue.
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Calories are calories. It doesn't matter when you eat them. You lose weight because of a calorie deficit, it doesn't matter if you eat at 5am or 11pm as long as you eat less than your BMR. I often have a protein shake right before bed so I don't wake up starving. That hasn't affected my weight loss at all.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    I agree with the furry posters above... if your hungry and you have cals left, EAT!

Many people (myself included) like to have something after dinner, so save some room in my diary for a desert or something to have at night. Eating before bed will not make you fat... eating more calories than you are allowed in total will!
  • leddas86
    Options
    I have read that you shouldn't eat 3 hours before bed. But if you're working and active I don't think carrot sticks will count. Good luck with your weight loss! :)
  • lamaier52
    Options
    I work afternoons and really try to get right to bed because I get up so early but I still eat my snacks late. Someone once gave me some advise and told me to eat my carbs earlier in the day and end my day with protiens so I do try this.
  • kmard81
    kmard81 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the responses!!
  • sweet110
    sweet110 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    No, not really. My philosophy is that simple works...until it doesn't. When I had 70 pounds to lose, simple worked just fine. No matter when I ate, whether I ate 3 or 6 meals, whether I did long slow cardio or intervals, whether I ate potatoes everyday, whether I ate a small snack at 3 am when I couldn't sleep...didn't matter. I had a lot to lose, and I lost.

When I had 10-15 pounds to lose, I had to get all tricky!

No sense in "getting tricky" until you have too! Enjoy the fact that you are at a weight loss stage where a few simple, basic, principles will probably work just fine.
  • andrejjorje
    andrejjorje Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I so like this answer. +1
    No, not really. My philosophy is that simple works...until it doesn't. When I had 70 pounds to lose, simple worked just fine. No matter when I ate, whether I ate 3 or 6 meals, whether I did long slow cardio or intervals, whether I ate potatoes everyday, whether I ate a small snack at 3 am when I couldn't sleep...didn't matter. I had a lot to lose, and I lost.

No sense in "getting tricky" until you have too! Enjoy the fact that you are at a weight loss stage where a few simple, basic, principles will probably work just fine.
  • Dexy_
    Dexy_ Posts: 593 Member
    Options

• MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options

I have not been eating after dinner for the most part BUT I do shift work and work in a hospital until 11pm some nights and like tonight its almost 8:30 and my stomach is growling at me! I pulled out some carrots to munch on but am wondering if I shouldnt be eating this late...thoughts?
    The jury remains out on this issue.
    I don't know what is best.

Here is what I do: eat right up to bedtime.
    I must, because the cravings set in if I don't, and I'll toss sleeplessly until I cave in.
    BIG TIME PIG TIME!

No more of that.
    So, I eat my last little, healthy meal right at 9pm, then hit the hay 30 minutes later.
    I guess this beats the alternative.
  • Psychomasokism
    Psychomasokism Posts: 46 Member
    Options

ditto :) true story brah.
  • missfluffyuk
    Options
    I always have a snack right before bed, even if it's just a warm drink. Otherwise, I'm likely to wake up hungry during the night. Or I'll be so starving in the morning, that I'll just eat the first thing I can find.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Not really, since I don't believe eating before sleep will make you gain weight. I think most people just end up getting bored in the evening and eating, hence the extra calories.

I try not to eat super later, mainly because it's almost always boredom eating, but if I'm hungry I'll eat. I try to wrap up my eating at around nine maybe though.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I try not to eat after i fall asleep, every waking hr is fair game though
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    It doesn't make any difference to your body - the only reason I can see for having a cut off time is if you are trying to break a habit of mindless evening snacking. But, if you have the calories left then eating anytime is OK.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options

When eating to your calorie limit, there is no cut off time if you still have calories to fill. It's a myth when it comes to eating after 7,8,9pm at night.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    I practice intermittent fasting so 10pm-2pm I dont eat.
  • karagav
    karagav Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    i generally try not to eat after 9pm or so, but if i'm really hungry i'll never deny myself food! carrots are a great thing to reach for!!! sometimes i'm not in the mood for veggies and i'll have fruit. i don't think there's anything wrong with that!
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options

The jury remains out on this issue.
    I don't know what is best.

Here is what I do: eat right up to bedtime.
    I must, because the cravings set in if I don't, and I'll toss sleeplessly until I cave in.
    BIG TIME PIG TIME!

No more of that.
    So, I eat my last little, healthy meal right at 9pm, then hit the hay 30 minutes later.
    I guess this beats the alternative.

LOL This is so me for like the last 2 weeks... I'm gonna try your idea. :)
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

No.