Protien...

Options
I seem to keep going over on my protien but I'm trying to have less carbs right now. Is an excess of protien bad for you? I'm still within the healthy fat range. Any words of wisdom?

Replies

• hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    If you're going low on one thing, you're gonna go above something else, hehe. Protein is fine if you're working out; the default allowance is low for most of us here.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    yeah, you'd have to be consistantly a LOT higher for it to even begin to be a concern. Protein levels on MFP are a tad low IMHO. I like to stay at about 28%, but for someone doing cardio only or very light weights, then anywhere from 20 to 25% is fine. 15% would be for someone doing no exercising at all and even then its a bit on the low side.
  • tiff1632
    tiff1632 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Too much of anything is bad. Your body will natural use the carb first for energy. If you are doing a low carb diet (it works!) don't go over your body's needs, if you do...like everything it will be stored as fat on the body. I am 130 I only need 70ishg of protien before my body starts to store as fat. I also took into effect that i work out 2 hours a day 6 days a week...I am trying to build a bit more muscle!

My suggestion to you...to much of anything is a bad thing. Instead of getting your carbs from breads, pastas, and grains, get them from veggies!
  • fitnessperfection
    fitnessperfection Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Protein is good for you. If you are working out I suggest you have up to a gram of protein per pund of body weight. I wouldn't worry about going over on protein. Your muscles need protein and the good thing is that your body will get rid of what it doesn't use...unlike carbohydrates!

Hope this helps!
  • ndiamond
    ndiamond Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thats what I'm doing. I get my carbs from beans (healthy protien / carb pairing) and like a piece of high fiber fruit. I also like to lift weights.

I feel better now, because it's not like I'm eating a 22oz steak every night for dinner (although that doesn't mean I haven't thought about it :tongue: ) For example - I had a muscle milk this morning for bfast and 2 chicken breast and 3oz of black beans for lunch. I still have 700 calories, 15g fat left but I'm over 52 on my protien! It's not like my portions are that unreasonable, or are they?

(PS I worked out this morning - weight trained my legs and 30 mins of cardio)
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    That all said, not EVERY meal has to or should be full of protein either. And remember, most beans are incomplete proteins and don't really help build muscles unless you complete them with their counterparts. Look up complete proteins if you want to know more.
  • amysol
    amysol Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    The site doesn't really give justice to the protein. You should have between .5 to 1 gram of protein pound of body weight so long as it is lean protein. Don't worry about what MFP says about that. Just for you, know .5 to 1 gram per pound of body weight!
    :-)