extremely low budget

Options
any really good and extremely cheap recipe ideas? I'm on a very limited budget and been living on soups to keep the calories down. I'm just starting to get burnt out on soup plue they are extremely high in sodium. any suggestions are welcome.

Replies

• Nekoashi
    Nekoashi Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    if you buy some frozen chicken breasts or thighs and cook them in the crockpot with some salsa and tomato sauce and seasonings you can have shredded chicken for tacos or burritos for many people or for yourself for several days :P the chicken should reheat well and can always be added to other things to change it up :)
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    Hiya, I'm also on an extremely low budget so I feel you :P

I've been doing a lot of brown rice and vegetables lately. You have to be careful with the calories in the rice but it's made up for by the veggies having so little calories. Very cheap, too.

Would love to hear other ideas!
  • jeni_Giedd
    Options
    Get lean meats, lettuce, low fat cheese and make great sandwiches! Make spaghetti with tomato sauce with your own spices added instead of all of theirs. I eat a lot of venison (my family hunts) so that is lower in cholesterol and fat. Drink lots of tea. I eat fresh veggies whenever possible such as mushrooms, green peppers, cucumbers, zucchini, etc. with low fat dips. I eat low fat crackers and drink lots of tea. I make my own mac and cheese with low fat cheese, butter and 1 % milk. I buy a lot of fresh fruits, veggies and good breads in the day old section of my store. They're often half price, but I only have to throw away teeny bits here and there.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Buy rice, oats, and beans/lentils in the bags
  • susanhiebert66
    Options
    watch your sales and get boneless skinless chicken breast. I only buy it when it 1.99 a lb or less. cook and chop up . fromk there you can pair it with frozen veggies for a stir fry, or use it for tacos etc. My budget is very limited and altho it is not cheap you arnt using that much at a time and it freezes well. in the long run it is both cheap and easy.
    :smile:
  • Chubnomas
    Options
    Grilled or boiled chicken breast. Combine black beans with a salsa. (of course portion out your serving) After cooking the chicken, heat bean salsa and layer on top of the chicken. serve with your choice of vegetable
  • beckyskeens
    beckyskeens Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    lentils are a great protein and easy for curries, sweet potatoes (better than white), in season veg, brown rice, chicken legs (higher in fat, but so easy in the crock pot and cheaper), eggs for quiche (no crust) - just a few that I use to help our budget. Hope it helps!:happy:
  • luvmycandies
    luvmycandies Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    frozen veggies are pretty cheap and throw in some fresh chicken
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,114 Member
    Options
    I've been hitting the almost-expired meats in the grocery lately. They are often marked down 20% - 70%. They are going to throw it out if they don't sell it, and it's perfectly good.

Dried beans, brown rice, frozen veggies. Buy the biggest bags of beans and rice and they are 50% cheaper than buying a bunch of little bags. Waaay cheaper than canned beans, and much better for you (no sodium).

Tuna in a can, cheap. Eggs, cheap.

I can eat on less than $4 a day. I buy organic milk, tomato sauces, and potatos, but store brand everything else.
  • airlily
    airlily Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I know this isn't too good for you, but I bought a ton of Lean Cuisines that were 99 cents each; then, I bought canned green beans and frozen vegetables. I put the frozen dinner on top of the veggies, and then nuked them. Each dinner is about 160 - 250 calories, and then the veggies are maybe 70 - 100. 30 days worth of dinners was only $57!
  • kayxoris
    Options
    homemade pizza is extremely good. you can switch up the toppings so it doesn't get old and it really isn't as time consuming to make as some may think! get some crust mix that you just add water to, pizza sauce is about a dollar, and some low fat shredded cheese. any other toppings are usually pretty cheap to. my favorites are pineapple, taco, and bbq chicken pizza. plus homemade pizzas have nowhere near the grease of other pizzas, and you can pack it with as many healthy veggies as you want without feeling bad!
  • VeggieKelli
    VeggieKelli Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I'm a college student living on about 25-40 dollars weekly. I also have special dietary needs, but my biggest suggestion is buy from the bins!!

Some of my favorite bin products are Quinoa, Barley (awesome for breakfast), Rice, and dried fruits (which tend to get more expensive). Frozen vegetables can also be cheap, as well as fresh spinach. I also eat instant oatmeal though I'm trying to cutback but the packs are fairly cheap and last a long time. Also, look for what's on sale, and if it's something you haven't tried before, be adventurous (provided it still healthy).

Good luck, and remember that you don't have to make unhealthy choices just because you're budget is low, there are a lot of healthy options that are comparably priced!
  • TammyLynne71
    TammyLynne71 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    frozen veggies, beans and rice. Buy on sale. Buy in bulk. If you have a smaller family see if someone wants to go in with you on buying bulk
  • long09
    long09 Posts: 5
    Options
    I make a big patch of Turkey Chili. The chili makes a 6 quart container and equals about 16 servings; 1 1/2 cup serving (chili can be freezed) and the total cost was about $16. Here is the recipe: 3 lbs ground turkey, 2 -14 oz Dark Red Kidney beans, 28 oz diced tomatoes, 8 oz tomato sauce, 48 oz can of tomatoe juice, I cup diced celery, 2 medium onions chopped, 2 green peppers chopped, 2 garlic cloves minced, salt, pepper, chili seasoning and red pepper flakes (if you want to add heat), 2 cups of elbow noodles uncooked. In a 6 quart crock pot combine cooked turkey add all ingredients, except noodles. Cook on low for 8-10 hours, in the last 2 hours add 2 cups of elbow noodles.
  • CatEyes27
    Options
    Generic oatmeal with cinnamon and a chopped apple. Chicken on sale can be fixed so many different ways. When I find a package on sale, I divide it into ziplocs and add different marinades: generic Italian dressing, soy sauce, vinegar and garlic (lots of garlic). I sometimes will cut chicken breasts into small pieces and saute. I keep in a plastic container in the freezer to make fajitas, add to leftover veggies and a bit of low sodium cream of whatever soup for a crustless pot pie, a little chicken, some lettuce, chopped tomato, sprinkle of cheese for a wrap, ............the possibilies are endless.
  • kyoules
    kyoules Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    The biggest thing that affects the food budget in our house is planning ahead. If we don't have a meal plan, we end up relying on convenience products, which are usually expensive or unhealthy.

I would also advise dried beans, lentils, and eggs. Only buy in bulk (large quantities) if you can eat it all before it goes bad. The average American family throws away 750 lbs. of food a year, which is unnecessary and expensive. The "bulk" bin section of the grocery store is a good place to get quinoa, couscous, and other things without paying for name brands or packaging.

Eat seasonally. Fruits and veggies not only cost less when they are in season, but they also taste better and usually travel less miles to get to your plate. If you can, grow a small vegetable or herb garden. Even a couple containers on a patio will make a difference.

Lastly, check out options besides the big box grocery stores. You can find great deals on produce, spices, etc, at ethnic markets or food co-ops.
  • Skaren
    Skaren Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I feed a family of 5 (ages1, 3 1and 10) on about 115$ a week. Here are my very frugal tips!...i also live in a cold climate where fruits and veggies are about twice the price of Florida prices...

- I make my own bread in a bread machine, my own yogurt in a yogurt maker, my own muffins, cookies etc.
    - i buy the majority of my fruits in cans, just make sure they are low in sugar and rinse them in water before eating
    - i buy he majority of my veggies frozen....this also helps reduce waste by food going bad in the fridge..and they have the same if not better nutritional value!
    - my grocery store has half off day old bread and fruits and veggies that are getting soft...i usually find some great stuff that once cooked up tastes great...no need for filet mignon!
    - i do the same for meat and freeze it
    - cheap cuts of beef are great once you put them in the slow cooker or a grind them in my food processor and you can freeze them until you need them
    - beans and rice dried in bags are way less expensive than canned. I soak them overnight in my slow cooker...works like a charm
    - dark chicken, once the fat is drained off, is as nutritionally good as white white...and way less expensive!
    - keep in mind that whole grain rice, flour and cereal are a little more expensive but fill you up more than the equivalent quantity of white rice and grains.
    - we have a small garden in the summer as well.
    - i also have a web site that i go to that compares the weekly flyers at the grocery stores. I make two grocery lists: what I need (milk, eggs, bananas) and what i want to restock my pantry. I check the flyers every week and go to the store with the best price for what i need. when an item from my pantry list goes on sale, i'll buy it and stock up if the budget permits.
    - for breakfast, oatmeal ( not the instant stuff) and milk is the best nutritional bang for your buck

This also lets my control what goes into the food. Granted, i have invested in some kitchen tools...many of which were found at value village...my bread maker was 7.99$ and my slow cooker 4.99$ and about 5$ for my yogurt maker. I splurged on a new food processor...we're best freinds now! A couple of good recipe books...you can find great receipes on line.

Lastly, i buy almost nothing that is prepared or processed...except american cheese....again, healthier and way less expensive.

Granted all this takes more time but less money and so much better for me and my family....

Now that i think of it, a few communities around here have communal kitchen days....it's pretty inexpensive because you share the cost with other people and you can buy in bulk...might be worth checking out!

Cheers!

K
  • Skaren
    Skaren Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    i forgot to mention that i just found a great granola bar recipe...cheap and healthy and i make my own fruit roll ups with a food dehydrator...again a value village find....i actually never buy anything new any more...and that saves money too!