What would you do if you got a gift you didn't want?

Options
ProjectTae
ProjectTae Posts: 461 Member
I know this may make me seem like a complete spoiled brat but my birthday is on the 25th and my parents are buying me a 13" LCD flat screen TV, this TV costs 199$ due to the way they are ordering it. I already have a 19" TV in my room although it's not a flat screen I feel that to go from 19" to 13" is a downgrade and waste of money especially since 13" TVs are only worth at most 150$. What would you do in my situation? I honestly do not want the TV and am even willing to pay for shipping and refund them their money but is this rude?

Replies

• ProjectTae
    Options
    Bump :smile:
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    I would return it or sell it on ebay or craigslist and use the money and put it towards buying a bigger tv, but that's just me. I don't know where you live, but you can get a 32" for under or around $300, they have come down quite a bit.

Here's a link to walmart you can get them for cheaper

http://www.walmart.com/browse/TV-Video/TVs/_/N-96v3Zaqbw?_refineresult=true&_refineresult=true&_refineresult=true&_refineresult=true&_refineresult=true&ic=16_0&path=0:3944:1060825&ref=428799+500684&povid=cat1060825-env258601-moduleB112211-lLinkZone2TVSpecialBuys
  • ProjectTae
    Options
    I would return it or sell it on ebay or craigslist and use the money and put it towards buying a bigger tv, but that's just me. I don't know where you live, but you can get a 32" for under or around $300, they have come down quite a bit.

I really think I am going to return it I just don't want to offend them but just looking online I see a 24" tv for 197$ with a built in DVD I don't know what would posses them to buy a 13" tv for 199, my laptop is 15.5"
    BTW: I live in California
  • driaxx
    driaxx Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Haven't you told them you already have a television and don't need a new one? They're your parents, surely they won't get offended. Or if you're willing to add to the payment why don't you tell them you'll add some money towards the present so you can get a bigger flat screen.
  • ProjectTae
    Options
    Haven't you told them you already have a television and don't need a new one? They're your parents, surely they won't get offended. Or if you're willing to add to the payment why don't you tell them you'll add some money towards the present so you can get a bigger flat screen.

Since I live with them they know I have a bigger television than what they are buying me. I guess they think that it being a "flat screen" somehow makes it more valuable but IMO it's the size that counts and when I hinted that I didn't want a small TV I got "you get what you get" My dad even acted as if I was being so selfish just suggesting it might not be the best gift.
  • DarrellHodge
    Options
    Don't you dare eBay a gift from your folks. Take it and say thank you, use it for a few months or even mount it in the bath...that's always nice. Please do not insult your parents buy selling it right away.
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    Hmmm.... I'm not sure.

It's a gift so why not find another room to put it in.... like a guest bedroom, office, etc.
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    Hmmm.... I'm not sure.

It's a gift so why not find another room to put it in.... like a guest bedroom, office, etc.

Oh I just read where you live with them.... So maybe keep it until you move out so you'll have more than one TV. Or sell it, seeing as your dad said "you get what you get". Why wouldn't they want to get you something you actually want? Oh well. Sorry.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    Honestly? Not sure if you have other flat screens in your house but the quality is much higher. And six inches really isn't all that much. My flat screen in my room is 13 inches and it's great! Better quality than a bigger big box tv. haha this seems like a #firstworldproblem
  • ProjectTae
    Options
    I honestly don't know what to do I don't want to offend them and they always do this to me they buy stuff I don't want/need and the stuff is always so expensive I even told them before hand not to buy me anything expensive why can't hey just be gift card parents. And it's really not that fact that the tv is 13" that bothers me the most, it's the price they paid for it 199$ for a 13" tv is way over priced.
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    What you could do, is sell BOTH Tv's and get a BIG one that way :) Then you can tell them you really appreciate the upgrade :)

EDIT: I personally have a 42 inch 3 feet from the foot of my bed! Its incredible sitting at the foot of the bed playing Battlefield and you have to turn your head to see everything!!!
  • MaryDreamer
    Options
    My 7 yr old son won't accept a 13 inch. He has a 25 or 27" in his room and a 40" for his games. My 14 yr old daughter has a 42 inch. But we do live in Louisiana cheaper here. Good luck! I usually regift things I don't want but you can't in your situation.
  • eyoungone05
    Options
    Tho it may not be RUDE they will be hurt for u not willing to accept their gift. I wud just say take it and put it in ur room but the doesn't mean that u have to get rid of ur 19inch tv either. They maybe giving u this gift from there hearts too so u may want to look at it in there perspective
  • mblanchard0625
    mblanchard0625 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Some people cannot afford to have any size TV.
  • OxleyT6899
    Options
    You have 5 choices:

Put it in a diffrent room
    Give it to a friend for his/her birthday
    Give it to a family member
    Give it to parents so they can get their refund :(
    Or give it to me :) JK!!!!!!!
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    I would say thank you.
  • ProjectTae
    Options
    My 7 yr old son won't accept a 13 inch. He has a 25 or 27" in his room and a 40" for his games. My 14 yr old daughter has a 42 inch. But we do live in Louisiana cheaper here. Good luck! I usually regift things I don't want but you can't in your situation.

This made me laugh ;) your 7 yr old wont accept a 13" lol I would like my tv to be bigger than my laptop since I often watch shows on that as well and it is 15.5"
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options

Your son won't ACCEPT a small tv? Yikes. He's 7 and has 2 TVs? I hope he spends some time outside and actually appreciates what he has.

To the OP, re-iterate what you just said to us. Tell them you don't want another tv and don't want them to spend that much money on it. Tell them you want gift cards (or money) or what you actually do want. Don't act ungrateful though!
  • thatgirl125
    thatgirl125 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    You are being selfish.
    My parents have gotten me gifts that I did not exactly want, but I did not care. it is the THOUGHT that counts.
    They do not even have to get you anything to be honest.