About to have Dental Surgery and need help

Options
I am about to have major dental surgery. This will be the 2nd time and from when I had it done 8 years ago I did not and could not eat anything but mush and soup for 2 weeks. So what do I do when it comes to my diet? Take a break or do I still count calories and all? I wont be able to do much in the workout dept for a few days and last time all I ate was pudding and cakes as they were nice and soft. Cant have cakes this time but I know this is going to effect my fiber, protien, sodium, and fat. My calories may come in extremely low.

Replies

• ntm76
    ntm76 Posts: 25
    Options
    Off the top of my head try to eat:

Buy some whey protein and make smoothies with yogurt, fruit, and the whey protein
    If you can eat oatmeal eat it with whey and pureed fruit
    Cook and puree some veggies. You can even steam some chicken and puree it like baby food consistency
    mashed avocado and bananas ( not together though they may taste good that way )
    Make chicken soup and if you can eat it add some whole wheat pasta to it.
  • Leilanimae
    Options
    Protein shakes! The cold will help your mouth feel better, too. I say still log and exercise however you can but do give yourself a little slack. Let's see.... soup can be healthy. Also strawberries possibly.. definitely if you mash them up. Mashed sweet potatoes are healthy. Eggs. Yogurt, definitely! There's a bunch out there, just don't be too hard on yourself and don't expect that you'll be eating regular meals at regular times. But still log cause you want to be sure you don't go crazy on the calories during this time. Good luck to you on the surgery!
  • yentess
    yentess Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I would say just try ot keep your soft foods as healthy as possible. Veggie soup is good, especially if you toss in some beans for protein. Oatmeal, applesauce, scrambled eggs, yogurt. Your calories might be lower unless you can manage to eat a spoonful of PB or nutella. You will be fine and probably will lose a lot of weight during that time, but just realize when you start eating again you might have a temporary weight gain while your body adjusts to a normal diet again. Good Luck! I feel for you, my daughter had ot start orthodotics at age 7 and sometimes has a hard time eating too.
  • fink21061
    fink21061 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    They have to cut my gums up top open and scrape the bone down. Its very painful but due to an accident when I was little I have had alot of problems with it. And they do it while Im awake. Scared to get it done again since I know what to expect this time. Its real hard to eat nearly anything.
  • batgirlmama
    batgirlmama Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I just had dental surgery as well - did protein shakes and soups from skinnytaste.com. I had a great time with it.
  • whoiskat23
    whoiskat23 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Yeah, i'd suggest smoothies and soups. I'm probably going to put on braces again soon and that will be my meals for that first initial soreness. I'm also going to continue to log my calories cause I think it is almost easier to over do it with softer foods.

My sister had a similar surgery to yours and it couldn't eat a thing. The plus was she lost a bunch of weight. Not the best or most fun way, but still a loss. Heal well.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I just had all four wisdom teeth out-- I did count calories but I needn't have bothered. I got SO sick of the mushy food after a few days; my best advice is to get a wide range of options. Get some sweet things, some savory, some hot and some cold. You're going to want the variety. And if you know how to cook then I suggest making your own soups. I never did very well with the canned stuff and it's full of sodium anyway. Good luck and just take it easy while you rest/recover.