Anyone STILL Like Tuna Noodle Casserole?

Options
So I grew up in a semi-poor farm family. This was Thursday night's dish...especially in the winter. Who doesn't love a casserole? Probably a lot of people, because it usually means there is a bunch of junk put together in one pot. I tried to change that...

Tuna "noodle" casserole for 1...that I use for lunch sometimes (go for the higher protein part cause I eat a big lunch...you can adjust as needed)

-1/2 c. Progresso Veggie Classic Creamy Mushroom soup (60 cals)
-1/2 can chunky light tuna (1.25 servings = 62 cals)
-1/2 c. brown rice (100 cals)
-1 c. green beans frozen or canned (avoid added salt!) (30 cals)
-1/2 c. thinly sliced baby carrots (25 cals)

You can add a ton more veggies if you want!

1) Boil rice like usual. When it's just about done, start on the tuna part.
2) Put the tuna, soup, and veggies into a small sauce pan. Heat until boiling, then reduce and simmer. Serve when it is good and hot, and the carrots are slightly soft.

It's simple, nothing special...protein, veggies, and a bit of carb in there...low on fats as well. I guess you could say it's an old school comfort food that not everyone likes, but good when you are in a pinch!

Total: 272 cals!!!!

Replies

• imarlett
    imarlett Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Oooh Tuna casserole brings back memories!
    I will have to try the recipe.

Thanks!
  • WWH_AJ
    WWH_AJ Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Bump! I love tuna!
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    I'm drooling.
    Of course this is posted the day I go back to school and no longer have a kitchen!
    Can't wait to try it next time I'm home :) Thanks for sharing!
  • JamzPurse
    JamzPurse Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I actually have everything needed for this in my pantry. I forgot beans for my cockpot chili so this is my dinner tomorrow. Thanks.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    love it!! this sounds like a good recipe!
  • JigglyPig
    JigglyPig Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Seraph1120
    Seraph1120 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Haha. I actually have my ingredients for tuna noodle casserole on my grocery list for tomorrow! I love it!
  • janiececreasy
    janiececreasy Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Love tuna noodle casserole! We always mixed tuna, cream of mushroom soup, chopped onion. Layer of cooked noodles, layer of tuna mixture. Repeat layers top with crushed potato chips. Bake @350 approx.20 min.
  • Cueball55
    Cueball55 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have any suggestions for a substitute for condensed cream of mushroom soup?
  • mgpolizzi
    mgpolizzi Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    In college my version was mixing together a can of tuna and a box of Mac and Cheese, but not too long ago I lightened up a recipe I found in Bon Appetit using fat free milk, chicken stock and reduced fat cheeses. I also used fresh yellow fin tuna in the dish and a Southern Maryland staple of topping it off with potato chips.

I've posted the recipe on my blog: http://open.salon.com/blog/michael_polizzi/2012/01/16/trailer_trash_tuna_noodle_casserole
  • MikesMuffin
    Options
    Funny really, I've just made a tuna pasta bake for my daughter tonight, I'll probably have some for my dinner tomorrow if theres enough left. Just tuna, pasta twirls, chicken soup and sweetcorn.
  • smangani
    smangani Posts: 120
    Options
    I grew up on Tuna Casserole! YUMMY

I'm going to try your version. Thanks!!
  • aim2234
    aim2234 Posts: 13
    Options
    Sounds great! I will totally have to try this one!
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I used to love it as a kid and made some a few months ago for the first time. My family loved it. I'm going to try this version. It sounds really good.
  • dargytaylor
    dargytaylor Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have any suggestions for a substitute for condensed cream of mushroom soup?

you can saute some mushrooms in butter (light of course :wink: ), then make a roux. Add some fat free milk (or whatever you prefer) and voila, cream of mushroom soup!!
  • ginandtonica
    ginandtonica Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Love tuna casserole, but I use seashell noodles instead of rice. My father in law cant stand it though....calls it Tuna Noodle Yuck. Makes me laugh every time.
  • Cloud_Dancer
    Options
    Oh wow. That sounds really good. Looks like a great lunch recipe! I'm gonna have to write this one down. Thanks!
  • tcklmetoo
    tcklmetoo Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    We use Cream of Chicken soup, not Cream of Mushroom.
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    HOT DISH!

And you gotta use noodles, not rice. Sorry, but Mom would turn over in her grave if I made Tuna Hot Dish with rice!
    And she always added pimento...............that little bit of redness in the dish gave it some class (I grew up poor, too.......with 7 siblings..............Mom could make a pound of hamburger into a fabulous hot dish for all 8 eight of us kids, and we were never hungry!!)
  • thoshowski
    thoshowski Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    That sounds really good. I usually put corn in mine. It's a sweet kick sometimes. I think I will be having this for dinner tonight!