Non-sandwich lunch ideas

Options
What are some healthier options for taking to work for lunch? I'm so used to throwing a sandwich together, but tired of bread. My fallback is almost always a can of soup, but the sodium is insane. Not to mention crackers. In need of other options. I've been making a salad this week, but that gets old quick. Any ideas for healthy meals to alternate?

Replies

• I_get_fit
    I_get_fit Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    leftovers!!!
    hummus veggie wraps
    tuna & crackers
    couscous or quinoa salad with feta cheese, basil, tomatoes, olives and chickpeas with light dressing.

more ideas: http://pinterest.com/search/?q=lunch+ideas
  • lizc_87
    lizc_87 Posts: 45
    Options
    I am having the same problem so it's nice to know I'm not in a boat alone. I use to do Healthy Choice Fresh Mixer (heavily processed and high in sodium) and I did frozen dinners. I've done salad and it go boring VERY quickly.

I'm thinking a good lunch would be; fruit, granola bar, and chicken salad.

I will definitely be coming back to this to see what's submitted.
  • kittyloo123
    kittyloo123 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    what about dinner leftovers. i like cold veggies (broc, cauli, brussells) with some hummus or greek yogert on them. a piece of fruit, and i'm pretty happy.
  • pratod
    pratod Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Make brown rice with steamed or roasted veggies the night before (or at the start of the week) and bring it in tupperware. Same with whole wheat noodles!
  • kayleen_longworth
    kayleen_longworth Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I usually try to take some leftovers from dinner the night before if possible assuming you have access to a microwave. Green smoothies as a meal replacement work too (liquid salad) - need good cooler or refrigerator.
  • hailzp
    hailzp Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Cold pasta.
    Homemade soup with low sodium
    Salad Wrap with any filling
    Jacket potato (sweet or white)
    Lettuce wraps
    Chopped vegetables with hummus or some sort of low cal dip
    Couscous salad

Cant think of anything else at the minute
  • Tdk4685
    Tdk4685 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I usually left overs from the night before and lots of salads. Or put the stuff you would have used in the sandwich into a salad.
  • mrschappet
    mrschappet Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    tuna, brown rice , broccoli, carrots and green onion....add your fav. asian seasonings
  • SBelle83
    SBelle83 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Lean Cuisine meals are good for lunches.
  • kylakesgal
    kylakesgal Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I usually just make extra for dinner the night before so I'll have leftovers for lunch. I also make my own soups to avoid the high sodium canned soups. I'll freeze leftovers into individual servings for a "grab on the go" lunch. I also pack lots of healthy fresh fruits and veggies to munch on too. Hope this helps and good luck to you:)
  • MrsDrake678
    MrsDrake678 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I recommend getting the hungry girl 300 under 300 cookbook. (I'm a bit obsessed with it right now) There is a recipe for lasagna cupcakes 165 cals a piece and really really good. One batch makes 12 cupcakes. Also there is a recipe for cheeseburger mac attack or chicken pot pie pockets made with eggroll wrappers. I also made pizza pockets for 141 cals a piece using egg roll wrappers and all taste great reheated! I like a hot lunch myself and these have been working great for me.
  • beccadaniixox
    beccadaniixox Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Maybe make chili or a homemade soup! :)
    That's what my mom does for lunch.
  • jalysia
    jalysia Posts: 43
    Options
    I have been eating a piece of fresh fruit and a michelina's lean gourmet microwave meal. They are tasty and filling to me!
  • johnkernmusic
    johnkernmusic Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    An omelet and some cottage cheese would work or use whole wheat pita bread rather than normal bread. Another idea is use lettuce leafs as a wrap.
  • EuroDriver12
    EuroDriver12 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    my favorite :P

chicken breast
    calfornia style mixed veggies

round 350cals 40g protein n low carb....
  • rebeccawalker1982
    rebeccawalker1982 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    The 2nd site is actually ideas for healthy kid lunches and the 1st one is a great way to make all your lunches for the week in one day. Pinterest is a great place to find healthy food ideas.....and other fun stuff.

http://www.bigredkitchen.com/2011/07/how-to-make-mason-jar-meals-part-1.html

http://www.easylunchboxes.com/
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    Another fan for the left overs team! I hate most sandwiches, so I usually have left overs. If that isn't available I'll have hummus and veggies and triscuits, or some sort of soy product (soy nuggets). I LOVE tuna and will eat a whole can with just a fork nom nom nom :)
  • JoyBellz
    JoyBellz Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I like to make a salad with spring mix lettuce, tomato, carrots, and cucumber and then cube a chicken breast and put that on top for protein. Then you can use whatever salad dressing you choose. Very good and filling. I also like to brown hamburger (90/10) with onion, garlic powder and Mrs. Dash Table Blend seasoning, saute some stir fry veggies in a separate pan and then mix them together. Very healthy and again, filling. Of course, I cook it the night before so all I have to do is heat it up on my lunch break.
  • bulletprooff
    Options
    Wheat/Spinache wraps, hummus (you can add chicken, turkey, roast beef), baby carrots, cucumber slices and yogurt
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    I have proats for lunch everyday.