weight loss and pregnancy?

Options
Sooooooo........ it's been awhile since I've been on (several months actually)! I have everything ready to do what I need to do, yet I find myself making excuses.

1) Right now I have my own internet connection (no stealing internet or crappy connections).

2) I MOVED TO AN APARTMENT COMPLEX WITH A FREE FITNESS CENTER ON SITE!

3) I work about 10-15 hours a week MAX.

4) I have insane amounts of spare time while my husband is at work.

5) I do 90% of the cooking at my new home.

6) I have school only two days a week. I have 5 classes but I am only physically present at school for 16 hours a week over 2 days.

7) I have been on metformin for 6 months, which is notorious for helping people drop weight (I have gained weight being on it though).

8) My thyroid is at normal levels.

So this is my "big excuse", the thing that is holding me back: I'm trying to get pregnant. It doesn't make sense to make this the deal breaker, and I know logically in my own head it is stupid, but it's the little voice that is telling me to not take the chance on the treadmill, and that my body will be ruined until after the baby is born anyway, so screw it.

I am hoping that tomorrow morning I will talk myself out of this non-sense and check out that on-site gym. I've never seen anyone in it before, so there is NO WAY to be embarrassed. I live about two-tenths of a mile from there, so I can certainly walk. So yep, that's what's going on.

What I need from you guys is the reasonable voice that tells me that I'm not going to screw up my chances of pregnancy during heavy exercise. Does anyone have any experience with having a high risk of miscarriage, a low chance of conception, and still had luck? I feel like I should be on bed rest all the time :(

Replies

• shortly24
    Options
    On the contrary - weight loss will likely help your chances of getting pregnant. Plus, if you start exercising now, you are far more likely to be able to sustain it during pregnancy. They don't recommend starting exercise during pregnancy, but continuing what you've started, they are all for.

Go for it!
  • AuntieLisa4
    AuntieLisa4 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I want to lose weight now so around may i can start TTC. If you lose weight now your baby will be heathier. even if its only 20lbs. Any doctor will tell you to get heathy before getting prego also start on prenatal vitamins will help too.
    You can add me if you want i know all things baby and pregnancy. if you have questions i might know where to check for answers or i might have them.

Lisa
  • BrandNewMia
    Options
    Are you already a high risk for miscarriage, like you've had several in the past? If so, I would consult your doctor.

Have you considered putting off TTC temporarily, for 2-3 months, to establish a solid exercise routine first? Like a PP said, they don't want you starting a new, intense exercise routine while you are pregnant, but once you become pregnant it is typically OK to continue with whatever exercise your body is already accustomed to. That would be my advice - start a daily fitness routine now, and start TTC in the spring.
  • ShrinkRapt451
    ShrinkRapt451 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    The best thing you can do for a baby is get your eating and exercising in a good place NOW. Food first. The extra calories you'll need for a pregnancy don't actually add much in a day (300, maybe), so all your calories should be high quality. As for exercise, the above posters are right. Docs won't want you to start a new routine. But if you're doing moderate exercise every day already, that's fine to continue, usually. Women who work out hard may need to take it a little easier.

Bed rest is the LAST thing you want. You will need energy, muscle strength, good nutrition, and stamina to get through a full-term pregnancy with your body doing its best for both you and baby. Can you be a slug and have a baby? Yes. I've done it. And I don't recommend it. I was more active and eating healthier with #1, and the difference in me was huge.
  • angel2296
    angel2296 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Losing weight HELPED me conceive BOTH TIMES!!!! With our first DD, I had just lost 30 lbs. and gotten to my current goal weight....conceived right away! The second time I was like you....why do I want to lose weight just to put it back on?? We tried for a year without the weight loss....nothing. I lost 25 lbs. and was pregnant within a month!! ALSO, if you continue to watch what you eat and exercise some.....you may not gain it all back. I gained the 25 lbs. back BUT within a month after baby was here.....I was back at my start weight!

Just thought I would share my experience.....everyone is different, but I hope this will help motivate you!! Best of luck in BOTH your endeavors!! :wink:
  • kmm7309
    kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Yes I am at a high risk of miscarriage because of my hypothyroid and PCOS. I have never been pregnant before, but I've been trying for 8 months.