Calories Needed per day

Options
I have used several calculators on the internet to see how many calories I need per day. When I enter the information, I always get some ungodly number. They always range from 3000 to 4000 range.

I am 5'11, 254lbs, 29 years old and have been working out 6 days a week.

Does this seem right to anyone else or is it general math to get the number?

Replies

• l0ttie
    l0ttie Posts: 18
    Options
    I am no expert but I bought the TURBO JAM DVDs. This is the formula they use to calculate your daily calorie intake to lose 1 lb per week.
    Add a 0 to you body weight (ex. 254+0 = 2540
    ADD 20% for extra daily activity + 508
    Daily Calorie rate = 3048
    Subtract 500 calories a day by eating 500 calories less or by burning 500 calories though TURBO JAM.

Total Daily Calories:2548
    The more overweight you are, the bigger the deficit you try and create (by eating less) Just don't go below 1,200 calories a day. as you get in better shape, you'll need to eat more to fuel your extra muscle.
    Hope this helps.
  • Fit4Vet
    Fit4Vet Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I don't know about 3000 to 4000, but if you start with resting metabolic rate (to live & breathe) at 254 lbs it would equal 2540 cal per day. Then you have to factor in your activity burn for "moving around" (like your job, if it is an active position or sedentary), etc. which is usually 20% of your cal from the RMR =508, then you figure in your workout ( your exercise needs) +600 cal for workout

2540 + 508 + 600 = 3648 calories every day.

Now, while I might would worry about eating that many calories... there is a wonderful article that Banks has on here about eating your exercise calories & metabolism...which says, in essence, if you don't eat enough, the body either fuels itself on the wrong things (muscle, organs, etc) or it goes into starvation mode.

It's also important to eat small meals so that you "fool" your body & train your metabolism.
    HTH,
    Vet

edited to post Banks topic link

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo