Mama always said,

Options
lyssamichelle
lyssamichelle Posts: 1,307 Member
Life was like a box of chocolates.. you never know what you're gonna get.

No seriously.
When I was little my mom told me if I swallowed mouth wash. I'd die. I still can't use mouth wash with out freaking out.
Or not to put my hands near the stove because I'd burn myself.. It took me util I was 18 to get my own food out of the stove.

It's funny how people say harmless things to you, so you won't get hurt when your younger. & You can never let them go. Maybe it's just me.

Replies

• chameleon73
    chameleon73 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    My dad used to take us camping at the lake all the time when I was a kid. To keep me and my siblings from going out too far in the water, he told us there were sharks out there.

To this day I still can't swim in any body of water where I can't see what's beneath me, even though I KNOW there is no such thing as a fresh water great white. My subconcious still panics at whatever MIGHT be down there, looking up at me, and thinking 'mmmm, lunch'. Nope, I'll stick to pools, thanks. Lol
  • eyoungone05
    Options
    My granny told me when I was younger that leaves and flowers wud grow inside my stomach if I ate polly seeds from certain fruits LOL therefore I don't eat seeds now
  • lyssamichelle
    lyssamichelle Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    My granny told me when I was younger that leaves and flowers wud grow inside my stomach if I ate polly seeds from certain fruits LOL therefore I don't eat seeds now
    Mamaw told me I would choke if I got a seed in my mouth.. So I understand this. haha.
  • Thulpa
    Thulpa Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    My mom always said that the truth can not hurt you unless it is the truth.
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    My mom always said that the truth can not hurt you unless it is the truth.

That doesn't make any sense. Do you mean that a rumor cannot hurt you unless it's the truth? It makes a bit more sense...
  • david581c
    david581c Posts: 337
    Options
    Ma n Pa always said eatin toothpaste will rot my gut...boy did i prove the. Wrrrooooooooooooo......derp
  • thesmellofapples
    thesmellofapples Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    i still to this day cannot get my own food out of the oven ... but that might be because i actually burned myself when i was a kid.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    When I was little my grandma told me I couldn't drink coffee black because it would turn me Black (even though she drank her coffee black and it didn't turn her Black). Well she was wrong, it didn't turn me Black but it did make my son Black. :laugh:
  • NoWeighJose74
    NoWeighJose74 Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Mom always told me not to watch my dog take a crap or I'd get a stye. Creepy thing is, I can recall watching my dog Patch take a dump in the yard not long after Mom warned me of this. Lo' and behold, a few days later, my eye got all swollen with a stye. Still freaks me out (I was about 10). :sick:
  • EuroReady
    EuroReady Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    My mom told me that breathing in perfume would make my throat close up and kill me.

Also when I was a kid and asked what a boner was, she said that a boner was a dog toy. Man, that was embarrassing when playing with a friends dog one day.
  • firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    My mom always tried to avoid scaring us, but tried to teach us to be cautious. She was quite honest with us when we were growing up. There were, however, a couple things she told us.

Wisdom from my mom: Always know *why* you do what you do.

Wisdom from my grandma: Don't tell your best friend anything you wouldn't want your worst enemy to know.
  • bulletprooff
    Options
    coffee stunts your growth.

I once overheard a guy tell his friend, that when he was little his dad used to tell him that his father's vinyl records were "hot" so that he wouldn't touch them and I always thought that was a genius idea.
  • EuroReady
    EuroReady Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Every time I would leave the house, my mom would give me the usual "wear a seatbelt! Don't talk to strangers!" DUH sort of things, but it would always end in..."Remember: Everything is bad." Even now, my friends will jokingly tell me to remember everything is bad whenever we see each other.
  • Cr8tive_Ingenuity
    Options
    My dad used to take us camping at the lake all the time when I was a kid. To keep me and my siblings from going out too far in the water, he told us there were sharks out there.

To this day I still can't swim in any body of water where I can't see what's beneath me, even though I KNOW there is no such thing as a fresh water great white. My subconcious still panics at whatever MIGHT be down there, looking up at me, and thinking 'mmmm, lunch'. Nope, I'll stick to pools, thanks. Lol

actually though great whites dont exist in freshwater, bull sharks are known to go up the estuaries into brackish and freshwater parts of rivers and bite people..no lakes though :)
  • stormystrickland
    stormystrickland Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    My mom told me to turn off all of the lights/tvs before I leave the house or I would catch the house on fire... she would also say this about blowdryers or straighteners being plugged in even if they are turned off. Now I catch myself saying the same thing to my sisters. lol
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    My mom told me to turn off all of the lights/tvs before I leave the house or I would catch the house on fire... she would also say this about blowdryers or straighteners being plugged in even if they are turned off. Now I catch myself saying the same thing to my sisters. lol

My mom would say that too! My mom was paranoid about everything so she had some great ones.

She told me one time when I had pneumonia that "people die from pneumonia all the time." I was 7. :noway:

She told me that green beans would put color in your cheeks. I automatically thought this meant a pretty rosy red color but I guess it was a joke and she meant green. I didn't get it for many years and still don't think it's funny.

I also got the "plants will grow in your stomach if you eat the seeds."

She told me to never buy red underwear because it's only for *kitten*.

I think the worst one was that she convinced my brother, my sister, and I that if we peed in a pool it would turn orange and everyone would know who did it. I was about 19 when I confronted her about this and she told me it was a lie. Later I found out the chemical does exist.
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options

I have ictophobia because of a similar episode! I was little and we were swimming with my folks when my dad joked he stepped on a fish and it was going to come get us. About that time either a slimy log or fish or something brushed my leg. I ran screaming out of the water, and to this day I cannot swim in lakes, streams, or the ocean. I also cannot even look at fish without freaking out.
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options

actually though great whites dont exist in freshwater, bull sharks are known to go up the estuaries into brackish and freshwater parts of rivers and bite people..no lakes though :)

You just reaffirmed my fear of fish
  • missbethea
    missbethea Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    When I was about five or six I had a really bad cold my dad told me that I had the Epizoodiks and that I was going to die. I cried for hours and was convinced for days that I was going to die.
  • BrandNewMia
    Options
    My mom is Korean and sometimes things got lost in translation. I thought "ribeye steaks" was pronounced "levi's steaks", yeah like the blue jeans, until I was 18 years old! LOL not exactly the answer you were looking for, but I think it's funny :laugh: She also used to tell me that if I stayed out after dark, the Booger Man (instead of the Boogie Man) would get me, heehee!

My husband's dad always told him if he stuck his finger in his belly button, his arms would fall off. Husband is now 47 years old and is totally creeped out by his own navel and won't touch it!