Gained & don't understand why?

Options
Followed the plan so well, went to the gym every day, done shred & still had calories in the bank but gained almost 2 lbs. feel so demotivated and don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Replies

• slimmerchick
    slimmerchick Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    If you haven't exercised for a while it could just be that your muscles are holding on to water to help repair them - I've just started shred this week and haven't lost a bean - hopefully once your muscles get used to it you will lose it - that's my theory anyway!

You must make sure also that you are eating enough to sustain you particularly as you are exercising so much - if not then your body will hang on to it. So eat up your calories x
  • karinapeterson
    karinapeterson Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Dont panic hun, if you are going to the gym it is quite possible to be muscle building. Keep at it, it will happen :)
  • Eufy
    Eufy Posts: 14
    Options
    Water weight.... Stay off the scale for a while and just keep following the plan.
  • CavewomanCoby
    CavewomanCoby Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    ^^ agreed with this.

But it's not muscle, that's a myth that's been debunked time and time again.
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    The muscles vs. fat debate is large and long, but what it comes down to is that 1 lb. of muscle has a smaller volume than 1 lb. of fat. This being said - have you taken your meaurements? This is helpful for truly gauging your progress, and lessens the blow when the scale goes the wrong way.

Mary Ann
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/iddreams/view/overcoming-the-obesity-mindset-194711
  • xMissy6x
    xMissy6x Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    check your sodium levels. High levels of salt will make u retain water and weigh more. dont forget to drink at least 8 glasses of water!!
  • inge88
    inge88 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    How many calories are left every day? It might be that you are not eating enough!
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    normal weight flucuation. I go up and down 2-3 lbs from day to day.

exactly..you dont build muscle on a calorie deficit. and that whole you arent eating enough is a myth too. people need to do some research before they answer instead of spouting off what they've read or heard others say.

your body does NOT hold on to fat nor create it when you 'dont eat enough'. its physiologically impossible. your body on a calorie deficit of any kind needs to get fuel for its everday functions. it has too. where does it get it from on a calorie deficit? fat and to some extent muscle.
  • swimmchick87
    swimmchick87 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Yes it's just normal fluctuation. That's actually why I weigh every morning, even though people advise for once a week. If you only weight once a week, you may not know that for 3 days before that you actually weighed less, and that morning you just happen to be carrying more water weight or something. I weigh every day but record once a week- no surprises.
  • letsdothis84
    letsdothis84 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies. Today is my weigh in day and compared with last week im 2 lbs heavier so feel a litle disheartened :(
    I have always exercised regulary so no change there, but as you say may be due to retention, i did eat more bread yesterday than normal so maybe its due to this. I should maybe stay off the scales daily as i was 2 lbs lighter yesterday so kinda expected to be that today. Its difficult when you see it going up and down as it demotivates you and you feel like quitting.

Ill try and have my water intake daily, as i know ive been drinking more tea than water these days. I do eat all my calories as generally if i dont my tummy rumbles.
  • karinapeterson
    karinapeterson Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    nicely said than the above post. remember we are trying to help if you think it is wrong say what you think but please be nice about it. You hurt peoples feelings. I will not bother to have an opinion again. Just cause I am big doesnt mean I am stupid. sorry to bleat but felt hurt
  • tikanique
    tikanique Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you should only hop on the scale once a week. and take your measurements- they are a great way to track real progress. one of the best ways to jack up progress is to become a slave to the scale, it can really wreak havoc with your motivation and will power. I finally tossed mine out so I CAN'T weigh more than once a week. :-)

Good luck with shred and keep it moving!!