New from South Africa

Options
Hi, my name is Charmaine and I am a new member from South Africa. I joined MFP a week ago and have lost 1.5kgs this week. Very happy with that.

I am 39, married, no kids, and work as a professional in an office environment (quite sedentary).

I don't have that much to lose (I currently weigh 67.4kgs), but I used to weigh 135kgs until 2006 when I had Gastric Bypass Surgery (weight loss surgery), so am pretty careful with my weight and what I eat etc. I have found this very valuable an am looking to build a friend and support base and offer the same back, of course.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Charmaine

Replies

• MariskaS
    Options
    Hello Charmaine.

Welcome. I'm also kinda new (joined +/- 2 weeks ago) and also from South Africa.

Hope your weighloss is an easy ride. I'm finding it rather difficult and have made an appointment with a dietician for this coming thursday. Looking forward.

Have a good day

Mariska
  • Schwenn
    Schwenn Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi Mariska

Great to have a friend on MFP :)

Where in SA are you?

I also find it really difficult, just try and focus on low fat, low GI.

Tell me more about you?
  • CindyCountingCalories
    Options
    Hi and welcome,

my name is Cindy and I'm 27 years old.

I'm also from South Africa, joined the 13th December 2011 and have lost 2.2kg and 18cm with MFP after 30 days. It really works!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/CindyCountingCalories/view/a-gift-that-was-taken-not-given-192369

Good luck !

You both are welcome to add me.
  • debshedkg
    debshedkg Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    :happy: Hi Charmaine, nice to me some South Africans on MFP. I now live in Israel, Netany with my family. Really love it here but obviously really miss Cape Town, Biltong and many braais on Sundays. How did it go with the Gastric Bypass - did you have lapband or the actually Gastric Bypass. I just need to set my appointment for the Lap Band surgery. (have about 50kgs to loose).

Let me hear from you - thanks D.
  • debshedkg
    debshedkg Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hi Cindy, great to meet you on MFP, you looking good. Keep in touch. D:laugh:
  • louisau
    louisau Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Hi there. My name is Louisa. I'm also from South Africa. Been on here since November 2011 and lost 6.5Kg so far. I'm going to send friend request to you all.
  • monkeymouse74
    Options
    Hi, I'm Mary-Anne, and I'm also from SA, but now living in Australia. Anyone feel free to add me.
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Hope you find the support you need to achieve your goals!
  • rainbowkitty79
    Options
    Hi there!! I'm shamila. From Cape Town!!!
    Welcome! You're gonna have a blast!!! Add me!!!
  • jenro39
    jenro39 Posts: 29
    Options
    Hi

Im originally from South Africa - Amanzimtoti - Durban way. I live in the UK now for the past 10 years as my hubby got a job opportunity here. Ive been counting calories for a couple of months but lost nothing and doing more exercise than ive done in my life, I need help ladies.

Cheers
  • jbenton091011
    Options
    Hi and Welcome. Congratulations on your losses and I hope you continue to do so.

I'm a SAFFA living in the UK. Been here since 2006.

I haven't been home in several years now and the last time I was there the calorie information on food packaging etc. was dismal. Has this improved much since then?
  • jomclaren
    Options
    Hi girls .....

I am quite new to MFP joining properly Jan 1st 2012......... I lived in Durban for a short while when I was a teen .......... beautiful country and have lots of great memories ......... I have zero will power.............. Happy to support other's feel free to add me xx

Jo x
  • vavavoom83
    Options
    Hi

Im originally from Plumstead in Cape Town but am now based in the Isle of Man. I have been looking at having the gastro-sleeve surgery and to set me up ready for it I am back to calorie counting. I have used MFP previously and lost over 40lbs! - but unfort gave up and gained 20lbs gutted

would love to chat about surgery etc xx
  • marianeo
    marianeo Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I'm Mariane, originally from the UK, but have lived in SA (Joburg) for almost 12 years now, so it is definately home! I have been on MFP for almost 1 year, joined at the end of January 2011. I started at around 93kg, but my top weight was probably just a few grams shy of 100kg. I would like to lose another 10kg. I have had some weight ups and downs during my year here, but all in all with the help of this site and the motivation of my MFP's I have headed in the right direction!

Please feel free to add me!
  • CallmeSbo
    CallmeSbo Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Hi Charmaine, welcome to MFP. I like in Jozi. All the best on your journey. Been a member since end Dec, have lost 5.5kg and have 35kg more to lose.
  • Schwenn
    Schwenn Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you! Yes much better and with the MFP Ipad app, you can get all the info if you just scan the barcode of the product, which is great! Add me if you want to chat more.
  • BodyElectric1
    BodyElectric1 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I'm from PE, feel free to add me :)