Wii??

Options
Ok guys we have Wii at home...I have NEVER used it. My daughter has decided she doesnt want it. Soooo Im thinking I might hijack it and take it for me ;-)

So my questions are

Do you hav a wii

Do you use is regularly

Do you think it's made a difference

and what should I buy to go with the wii , i see so many add ons I don;t know what to buy or even what sort of games to buy!

Help me please!

Replies

• imjessly
    imjessly Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    do you have a wii fit balance board or just the wii?
  • rbrducky
    rbrducky Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have zumba for the wii and love it! Just dance and dance dance revolution are good too if you like dancing/shaking your groove thang lol. And they do give a good workout! Those are all I've tried though. :)
  • LauraSmyth28
    LauraSmyth28 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Yes I have a wii. It's "my son's". Lol (It's mine really).

I use it every day. The two games I use most are wii fit and Zumba. For wii fit you need the balance board. You buy both together, although you can buy the game seperately too (don't know why because you can't use the game without the board). For Zumba you get the belt included in the game so you don't need any add-ons.

Wii fit is great as it does lots of different types of exercise, gives you your BMI and accurately measures your weight.

I prefer Zumba for my workout though. More fun.
  • imjessly
    imjessly Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I quite like a lot of the dance games that you can use with the wii, you can really raise your heart rate
  • Zoe2901
    Zoe2901 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I have zumba for the wii and i love that, a 20 minute workout burns 200 cals according to my hrm so i find it great if its too cold to go out.
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I play tennis and bowling when I'm bored and don't want to leave the house.

It's sure better than sitting on the couch.
  • austepants
    austepants Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Just Dance 2 and wii sports resort works well for me on my weekend days. Today I burned 460 calories dancing for 80 minutes :)
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    We've had a Wii since launch. It got played a couple of times, then every time someone goes to play on it, you have to replace the batteries as it has been so long.

Spread over a family of three, I'd say it gets an average of 6 total play sessions a year. Usually when a new game is bought for a birthday, which is then never revisited more than twice.

I think it's because it's a vague and unresponsive experience. I only play the games with minimal motion control, like Mario. Motion control sucks. We too have the balance board.
  • AlysonBug
    AlysonBug Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I got a Wii for christmas, shortly after I bought myself wii fit plus and a balance board. I use it almost everyday and it has been a dream. I love love love it. I have been using it regularly since the beginning of January (same time I started my diet) and because of it (plus dieting) I have lost 11 pounds. If I didn't have it I doubt I would be as successful in losing weight. Its fun gets me off the couch its worth it, 110% worth it. Then the wii has other weight lose games but I haven't bought them yet. I'm very interested in the zumba one.
  • melcpia
    melcpia Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    do you have a wii fit balance board or just the wii?

Just a Wii....wii wii wiiiiiii!!lol
  • melcpia
    melcpia Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Ok more confused now cause I don't know if it's something I'd get into...I'm thinking maybe wii fit? but what sort of things does it have you do?
  • Roblyssa
    Roblyssa Posts: 125
    Options
    I have had a Wii for forever, and never really used it much, even with the Wii Fit board. I just found it didn't do much as I was never really breaking out a sweat.

I have just entered the world of the Just Dance games (I have #1 and #2, yet to get #3) and I LOVE LOVE LOVE them!!

My 3 kids and I danced for 5.5 hours on Saturday, 1.5 hours Sunday and 1 hour tonight! I worked off over 1500 calories on Saturday and it felt like I had been dancing for an hour.

I am going to try the Zumba game as well, but I want Just Dance #3 first. Those games are ADDICTIVE!!
  • da_sammit
    da_sammit Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    i have a wii fit and i use the boxing everyday! its brilliant!!! it counts the calories for you and how long you have spent on it. plus it weighs you and you can do fitness tests on it every day to moniter your progress
  • tracy1727
    tracy1727 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    We use ours EVERYDAY! We dont have the balance board and we still have lots of fun. The entire family is doing the EA Sports Active 2 on the 9 week challenge. Its a personal trainer on the wii that bosses you around. It comes with a HRM and it makes you sweat, I spend quality time with my daughter doing all the Just Dance games. We have a blast. Just started Zumba 2 and all I can say is MAJOR calorie burner while having fun. That game is done by myself with noone else home as I look like an uncoordinated chicken flapping its wings (so far) But I just started and plan to get better with time :)
  • dreamshadows
    dreamshadows Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Just got a weeeeee! with the fit plus. on Friday.
  • kevgee
    kevgee Posts: 7
    Options
    Hi...we have a Wii & we all use it everyday. There's myself, my partner & my Daughter. We all do
    an hour each..daily. The game we use the most are Just Dance 1 & 2, Zumba & Active 2.
    Just Dance 2 has a sweat programme setting on it. You can set your programme for a week & work upto
    your goal........ Zumba is great fun & you can feel it working.......... Active 2, you can use this with or without the balance board.
    This game gives you a personal trainer that works with you throughout a 9 week programme. It gives you a 3 week programme to get
    you going then it ups the tempo for the next 9 week stage. This comes with a heart rate monitor, one for your arm & one for your leg. It also comes with a resistance band. You have 20 plus different exercises to do each session. This game ranges in price from £8 - £14.
    If you're not too sure what to do, before you pay out loads on games, visit your local DVD rental store as they may rent games out for you to try before you buy.
    Good luck.
  • MissSpuggz
    MissSpuggz Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I'm also doing EA Sports Active 2 like someone said. It's really good for exercise! IT might not be for most people as it isn't fun but it really does work all of your body. Most of the workouts in the programs are about 20-30 minutes long and they also have pre-loaded workouts, like Basketball Bootcamp which vary in time. You can also make your own workouts using the exercises from the game which is nice for the rest days. You workout four times a week, have set goals and really work up a sweat.

Saying that, I wouldn't recommend using that alone. Like most people have said, the dance games such as Zumba and Just Dance are great also and you'll find yourself having fun whilst burning a lot of calories.

If you can, just search the game titles into Youtube and see if it's something you'd like. The wii is a great tool for people to use at home.

The wii fit is much more relaxing, I love to use the Yoga on there for rest days from EA sports after a walk. Really helps your flexibility, posture, stability and general wellbeing. The games are pretty fun too!
  • Lambiii
    Lambiii Posts: 321
    Options
    I love my wii ft!! been using it constantly the last 9 days, and have lost 5lbs so far :) I love the rhythm boxing and free step :)
  • LauraSmyth28
    LauraSmyth28 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Ok more confused now cause I don't know if it's something I'd get into...I'm thinking maybe wii fit? but what sort of things does it have you do?

Everything! Cardio, strength training, yoga.....everything.

I would buy Zumba before I'd buy wii fit. Wii fit + the board is actuallly expensive, not half as fun, and doesn't burn even close the amount of calories the Zumba game does.

I've had wii fit for a year, and Zumba for two weeks....I've probably played Zumba more lol.