Gym Daycare Etiquette--Help me out here!!

Options
2»

Replies

• TheVulcanLover
    TheVulcanLover Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I am laughing at those saying the daycare worker is being paid to pick up toys. LOL.

Would you expect your child's preschool teacher to pick up his toys?

At 3, a child should be in the habit of and have a parent/adult reminding them to clean up what they have played with. That is a very important part of the learning process. Do you just let your 3 year old scatter toys about all day and then pick them up for him/her?

Do you really think the minimum wage that gym daycare worker is making is enough money to watch, entertain and supervise your child AND have to clean up after them all? Oh boy.

if my kid is the last to leave maybe... but if theres 5 kids in the day care and all of them playing with toys why in the effin world would i make my boy put all the toys away??? all the kids were playing with them and their just going to pull the right out after he puts them away.. its pointless, waist of time, and daycare isnt cheap in the gym...
    Well, if the gym daycare is properly set up, it will have individual play centers where only so many children can play at a time. So it won't be like there are 100 toys on the floor and no one knows who was playing with them. If only 3 children at a time can play in the block center at a time, and your child was in the block center then before your child leaves---YOUR CHILD cleans up the blocks. It's really very, very simple. It's no wonder so many kids today are like hurricanes when they go places.
  • Akjenn89
    Akjenn89 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I'm not a teacher. I'm not even a mom. But, I can see where the daycare provider is coming from. It's good to instill good habits into children at a young age, and not just at their household. Manners should be present in all situations. It seems reasonable enough to me. If I ever have children, I don't want other people to think my kid is a slob.

I also agree with the dressing room example people gave, but I have also gone into dressing rooms and clothes still be on the floor. I usually end up not only taking my clothes out, but taking the clothes people left in the dressing room out as well. It's just the nice thing to do. Sure, there are people that are paid to take care of that kind of thing... but they're people too, and I'd rather help them out where I can instead of make their day harder than it needs to be just because it's not super convenient for myself.

*shrug* Just my two cents.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    thats redicilous!! its like you working out and once ur done you have to mop the floors and take the garbage out while others are working out... its the GYMS responsibility!! ur paying for a service!!!
    Answer honestly: Do you rerack your weights each time{including plates), or do you think it's the gym staff's job to do it?

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • jwcabell
    Options
    My kids go to daycare. They are expected to pick up. Now...a gym daycare is not an actual daycare, it's a sitting service. Of course, the child should pick up what he's playing with at that moment. But that's it. Yes, the workers do get paid to clean up after the children. It's a gym.

For the record, I've got 3 in school, 2 in preschool, 2 in daycare, and one at home. I've worked at a daycare as a teacher where I had the children pick up after themselves at certain times and I've also worked at a gym and if it was a class, I would start a few minutes before they ended.
  • nenamartinez
    nenamartinez Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Preschool teacher here.

I think the daycare is right to ask him to pick up the toys he's used. Ideally, he should be putting things away after he uses them, unless another child has asked to play with that toy. I understand that there will be children flinging toys about and not following the rules at all. Your child shouldn't have to pick up after other kids, but only clean up what he was currently using.

My advice is to explain the system to your child so he can be almost ready to go when you arrive-- he'll just have to put away whatever he currently has, which shouldn't take more than a few minutes. He just has to remember to clean up as he goes instead of doing it all at the end.

Anyway, the whole scenario isn't an issue of it "being their job." It's a matter of instilling the right attitudes in children at a young age. The "clean up after yourself" lesson that you're teaching at home isn't going to work if it really means "clean up after yourself only when it's convenient, who cares if you screw over strangers"
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    All of you have valid points. Thanks for your input. In reply to one of you, no I wouldn't expect my daughter's Pre-k teacher to pick up her toys, but neither would I expect to have to clean up after ALL 12 children in her class at the end of the day. I think this particular worker just sorta sits and stares while the kids play, because she is the only one who let's the play room get so messy. Anyway I'll live with it. It's not the end of the world or anything, just a minor peeve. I never know what my son is playing with because he runs straight to me when I see him. This worker just says "y'all need to pick up toys"... She's not specific. Sorry if I'm out of line, but it irks me. It may be her tone of voice, too...not friendly. Anyway, it'll be ok. :)
  • BellaVegas
    BellaVegas Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Your children should pick up the toys that they play with, wherever they are. However, it should be you telling your children how to behave properly, not this daycare worker. Thus, you are both in the wrong. This woman is very rude for trying to teach your child how to behave. But she probably feels obligated because you leave her the responsibility of watching your very rude children.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I would expect my child to follow the rules, and I would make sure that she picked up toys at the end if that was the expectation. I would probably help her so she would learn that it is important to clean up after ourselves and follow rules in a group setting.

I don't believe that people who provide a service that I pay for are my servants and I certainly don't believe that they should bend the rules for me or my child.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Seems odd, but I pay for daycare and at the end of the day, all the children put all the toys away and sing the Pick it Up song, or whatever it is. My daughter sings that same song when she's cleaning up her room. So if it happens in real world daycare, i don't object to it happening in gym daycare.

Possible to swing by the daycare when you have 10-15 mins left in your workout to give the Time to Pick Stuff Up signal so they will be ready to go when you are done?