Not losing much weight but inches?

Options
I've only lost about 11lbs but I've lost 5 inches off of my waist...which has brought me down three pant sizes. I'm just curious if this has happened to other people and if anyone knows why the weight isn't flying off...

Replies

• HannahMarieMcDougald
    Options
    Yes :-)
  • malk2651
    malk2651 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    You lost fat but put on muscle is what most likely happened.
  • meli_medina
    meli_medina Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I'll take inches over weight any day! The scale is a fickle beast. It doesn't move when we expect it to. It goes up when we think it should go down. It's very arbitrary.

However, the nice thing about losing inches, even when the weight isn't coming off, is that your body composition is changing. It'd be better to lose 5 inches and 0 pounds than 5 pounds but 0 inches, correct?

Way to go on the loss, either way! Just keep at it and as long as something is shrinking, that is the important part! :)
  • iKristine
    iKristine Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Happened to me too!

It will fluctuate, but guarantee its muscle.

If makes you feel better, I weight the same as I did in 2008, but I fit into the clothes from then baggy. At least 1-2 sizes down. I'm muscular now compared.

The scale isnt the end all by all means.
  • johnse04
    Options
    Thank you everyone....that makes me feel MUCH butter. I am becoming much more toned, I can notice. The weight just isn't changing. I'm glad it isn't only me!
  • karinapeterson
    karinapeterson Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Never just you hun. I had that feeling this morning then I measured my tummy and waist and both were down 1 inch hehe. Darn scales, think they keep us motivated to keep at it but can also down us so it is a mental battle for sure. Well done on all your toning and loss!! Great work, you inspire me who has just started :)
  • witrixie2011
    Options
    Same is happening to me. Been fluctuating between 2-3 pounds lately but my clothes are getting looser by the day.
  • hedgiie
    hedgiie Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I had a friend who's not happy with the way the scale reports the number but he likes the way that he gets stronger and the way he look buff
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I've only lost about 11lbs but I've lost 5 inches off of my waist...which has brought me down three pant sizes. I'm just curious if this has happened to other people and if anyone knows why the weight isn't flying off...
    Yes, and I welcome it.
    My one beef with MFP is the focus on weight with no mention of body fat.
    People can and should track body fat as well.
    Do it here for free:
    Body Fat
    http://www.scientificpsychic.com/fitness/diet.html

Mere weight does not tell the whole story.
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Yep, been flip flopping about five lbs for months now but losing the inches.......frutrating at times..but, I"m all for the change in clothes over change in numbers.
  • BenderFitness
    Options
    Muscle! Here's a picture to show you why: http://www.fitnessbender.com/2011/11/why-number-on-scale-isnt-everything.html

Losing inches is a far better indicator of fitness than losing pounds on the scale. It means you have lost a lot of fat, and put on lean muscle and that equals a better metabolism! Yay!

Good job! :)
  • nyyrule
    nyyrule Posts: 28
    Options
    FYi, there are scales that measure body fat %. It may be worth while investing in one because at least then you track that number and see it decreasing... if it would help motivate you, would be worth it.
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    Yes, and I welcome it.
    Do it here for free:
    Body Fat

You can track body fat very easily.. just as you can track any measurement by entering it yourself. I even track lifts, pullups and pushups.
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    FYi, there are scales that measure body fat %. It may be worth while investing in one because at least then you track that number and see it decreasing... if it would help motivate you, would be worth it.

Those scales aren't very useful. I've lost 24lbs and the scale shows only a 2% bodyfat decrease. Sorry to say, I can see thats wrong with a 10 inch waist loss.
  • Klein1475
    Klein1475 Posts: 248 Member
    Options

I have one of those scales and yes they are way worth it... I track my main number, body fat pounds, bf %, body water and bone... It really does help to keep track of all the numbers...
  • johnse04
    Options
    [/quote]Yes, and I welcome it.
    Do it here for free:
    Body Fat

[/quote]

Thank you, I needed that. I did lose 6% of my body fat. That is great...thank you.

Thanks everyone...I really needed the input.