Eat This, Not That "50 Best Snack Foods in America"

Options
Like me, I'm sure everyone struggles to come up with more healthy snacks. Came across this article and thought it might interest some of ya'll!

http://eatthis.menshealth.com/slide/best-fiber-bar?slideshow=186108#sharetagsfocus

Replies

• kala_rebecca
    Options
    I like the list. I don't really like protein bars that much, but I approve of everything else. Healthy snacks are hard to come by!
  • tippy2us
    Options
    Thank you for posting!
  • Josteyn
    Josteyn Posts: 44
    Options
    America doesn't have apples?
  • swobbles
    Options

:laugh:
  • Lindsayrob
    Lindsayrob Posts: 247 Member
    Options

This! I only got through the first 10 or so, and they all have a wrapper?
  • determined2lose89
    determined2lose89 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    :laugh: Thanks for the good laugh

• therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    No offense. Those are ok snacks. But everything on that list is packaged and processed. I hope that's not the best that America has to offer.
  • omgsaleslady
    omgsaleslady Posts: 44 Member
    Options

apparently not. this list is depressing. :(
  • NicciBowden
    NicciBowden Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    A really good snack that I like to eat (and that isn't packaged and processed) are turkey rolls.
    Cut a cucumber into sticks, and slice a red pepper the long way, then roll it up in a piece of deli cut turkey! If you chopped everything at one time it's ready to go whenever you want it, and it's super simple.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    You're kidding. Not a single one is actual food. They are all processed frankenfood! Every last one of them.

It really is sad that this is what America calls food. Actually it's scary. Chemical laden, processed cardboard with sugar and salt added to make the cardboard taste like something.

I think I'll stick with homemade beef jerky, macadamia nuts, coconut, very dark chocolate, berries, vegetables, etc. Those are my snack foods.
  • Lindsayrob
    Lindsayrob Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    http://www.ivillage.co.uk/95-healthy-snacks-under-200-calories/126943#28

America does have apples!
    Found this on a UK site, but think the spelling and some of the products suggests it must have originated in America
  • rmwinters
    rmwinters Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Yeah, apples come from China.
  • WhisperALullaby
    WhisperALullaby Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Sigh, yes we have apples....

The list is a little strange, sometimes they go for the organic few ingredient items, then they have Campbell's soup. Don't get it.

Where's the fruit? Plain old nuts (though there is one pistachio item on there)? At least there's Greek yogurt, that stuff's good.

If I want a snack, I go for the clementines, pears, apples, and berries.
  • Josteyn
    Options
    http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/content/recipes/special-diets/under-200-calories/

A food site from the UK...

Warning - you might actually have to cook some of these... from fresh ingredients...
  • Josteyn
    Options
  • JacPo
    JacPo Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I love food. I love sweets even more. Finding something to snack on is really hard. At the end of the evening, after dinner what is there? Oh well, back to my sugar free jello.
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    Well, these definately count as sweets! Grams of sugar (when the even list it) is 9-15g of sugar in those prepackaged candy bars.
  • GremlinJenny
    Options
    LOL.... I think the list was meant to actually be packaged food for on-the-go. I like that they didn't put the usual suspects that (hopefully) we all already snack on, including apples. ;) (Except me bc I'm allergic to fruits!)

I too don't eat any bars, so I kinda skipped that whole section.
  • branedammage
    Options
    America definitely has apples. I eat them daily :-)

I found this list useful because I'm going overseas to a remote area of the world, where there's not a shop or grocery stand within an hour drive, and I wanted some low-cal foods I can pack to get me through long days of hiking... so thanks, OP!

Of course I prefer fresh fruit and veg, but they're not always an option!
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness - sorry to say that is a very sad list of "snacks" ...... give me carrots, apples, blue berries, almonds, hard boiled eggs anytime over most of those options......

Yah at least for the yoghurt and string cheese on there - now only if it was not fat free versions!!