Discouraged...

Options
I signed up with MFP awhile go and I've done nothing but gain weight since. I will be honest, I have fallen off the wagon ALOT towards the end of 2011, but I've at least been maintaining btwn 190 and 195 lbs. Since the beginning of 2012, (and I understand it's still only January) I have been working out at least twice a week, I've been logging my food intake daily. If I can't find it to add to to my journal, I at least document it in the food notes section. I'm back up over 200 lbs. However, I have also quit smoking. Today is day 16 without a cigarette, and I feel like I'm doing really well. I'm sure that is part of the cause to the weight gain. I know quitting is a very healthy decision on my part, however with the scale going in the wrong direction, I'm also finding it to be really discouraging. Is there any advice out there to keep my weight loss motovation going?

Replies

• Josteyn
    Josteyn Posts: 44
    Options
    Talk with people. You CAN do it. And the smoking is BRILLIANT, and much harder than the diet.

Log everything - the quick calorie section is good if you can't find the food - but frankly, if you can't find the food, I'm surprised, there seems to be everything there, I've only added a couple of things since I joined.

It's worth it, and you know it is.

Just keep going, and exercise regularly.
  • crystalgoede
    Options
    First of all CONGRATS on not having a cigg for 16 days YOU ROCK! I get discouraged as we all do but just keep plugging along. It will come if you keep focused and working out. Even if you don't see the numbers on the scale your eating healthier and that's truly what counts, your health. We are so obsessed with numbers (including myself) Just try to focus on how you feel instead and drink plenty of water. Keep up the good work!! :happy:
  • Pollyfleming
    Pollyfleming Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    yay to quitting smoking! That's awesome. I quit a while ago and it's tough! I also gained a bit of weight when I quit, but after a while, I lost it almost naturally. Also, I found that after I quit, it was a little easier to lose weight because I could up the level of intensity and the duration of my workouts! When I was smoking, a ten minute walk was tough! Now I can do 60 minutes on the elliptical. Keep going! You can do it!
  • yummummum
    yummummum Posts: 257
    Options
    WOW!!! QUITTING SMOKING IS HUGE!!!!!!! My mom died of lung cancer. This is such an amazing thing you have done for yourself. DO NOT BE TOO HARD on yourself. I also am an x-smoker and it DOES cause you to gain when you quit. Smoking speeds up you metabolism. Be kind to yourself. Focus on one health goal at a time. Smoking is the big one and you DID it!!!!

Don't try to take on everything all at once. GIve yourself the praise you deserve for quitting!!!! Feel free to message me for more encouragement.
  • titianwasp
    titianwasp Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Even on days I cannot get to the gym - I have a pair of 10lb dumbbells in my bed room and do some curls or triceps presses. Every little ounce of exercise helps. Keep the calories around 1200 and you WILL see a diff. Many kudos on quitting smoking. Makes it harder but you you are heading off wrinkles and adding years to your life. :)
  • msmarston
    msmarston Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you! Except for the quitting smoking. I haven't got that far yet. However, I've been watching food and exercising and I've gained weight instead of losing it. I'm a little frustrated myself. Just keep going. Maybe add one more day of exercise. Don't give up!

Quitting smoking is a HUGE accomplishment on it's own. Be proud of that! and Congratulations!
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    I would concentrate on being healthy and keeping off the cigarettes for about a month or two, then work on weight loss again.

Qitting smoking is more important at this time. The thing to be careful with there is, smoking raises your blood sugar, when your blood sugar goes down you crave another cigarette. Be careful not to replace your cigarettes with candy, as that will work the same way and as your sugar level comes down from the candy you will crave cigarettes. Work on being healthy and active to get the cigarettes out of your system.

Secondly don't worry about the little weight gain. It is probably due to stress hormones, from quitting smoking. Your body is going through some stresses now and needs time to adjust. Keep counting calories and it will catch up.

Best wishes to you, you can do it. I have been smoke free 12 years now and I am sooooo glad.
  • tialynn1
    tialynn1 Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    Great job on the quitting smoking. That is such a great accomplishment. I agree with the other people to try and concentrate on one thing at a time, especially something as big as quitting smoking. I saw you said you only work out 2 days a week. Maybe exercise a few more times a week, even if it is only doing a 10 minute walk anytime. It will add up.
    I know about concentrating on one thing at a time. I am working on eliminating soda out of my diet. When I log my calories, I am over on sugar and fats everyday even though I am under on calories. That is going to be my next goal is to cut down on fats and sugars.
    GOOD LUCK! Everything will fall into place eventually.
  • cecilia0909
    cecilia0909 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    First the stopping smoking is so important you will feel so much better in the long run! It would help if I could see your diary and what you are eating. Also if you just log what you eat in the notes section- how do you know how many calories you ate?
  • jody664
    jody664 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I would concentrate on being healthy and keeping off the cigarettes for about a month or two, then work on weight loss again.

Qitting smoking is more important at this time. The thing to be careful with there is, smoking raises your blood sugar, when your blood sugar goes down you crave another cigarette. Be careful not to replace your cigarettes with candy, as that will work the same way and as your sugar level comes down from the candy you will crave cigarettes. Work on being healthy and active to get the cigarettes out of your system.

Secondly don't worry about the little weight gain. It is probably due to stress hormones, from quitting smoking. Your body is going through some stresses now and needs time to adjust. Keep counting calories and it will catch up.

Best wishes to you, you can do it. I have been smoke free 12 years now and I am sooooo glad.

^^ This.

I quit smoking in May 2011 (for the third time ~sigh~). I was about 190 lb when I quit and have gained 10 lb since. I gave myself 6 months to focus just on that.....I knew I would gaine weight, even if my eating stayed the same. You're body is adjusting to its new smoke-free state. Go easy on yourslef. Once the urge to smoke is completely gone, THEN focus on eating healthy for weight loss. Congrats on quitting. I know how big of an accomplishment that is!!
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options

Qitting smoking is more important at this time.

Funny that, as for me my overhealth dangers and risk factors were reduced far more from losing weight that quitting smoking when i started this. At 266lbs my chances of having an obesity-related fatality were almost double that of having a smoking-related fatality. My plan is to get to my goal, maintain, then when i start to bulk quit then. Not only will i have the gym to work out my frustrations, but also the addition weight gain that comes with quitting smoking will be ok, as ill be having to eat a calorie excess anyway! :D
  • lozzae85
    Options
    Don’t be discouraged. I am also trying to give up smoking. Its been 8 days for me. I have tried really hard this week to stick to my calorie intake but I have to admit I have slipped up a little. DON’T PANC! Just make sure that you still track what you have eaten. Honesty is the best policy. If you do go over then why not try and make up for it by going for a little walk around the block or running up and down the stairs.

I personally think I will have stayed the same this week. No big deal! I think it’s a much better achievement giving up smoking than losing a few pounds! I would rather have a bar of chocolate now than have a cigarette and risk smoking again! If you want ideas for healthy things why not have some nice snack boxes made up with carrot sticks, celery, peppers, grapes, blueberries…. Anything you fancy! Then if you get a craving you can just have one of these instead.

They say that when you give up smoking your metabolism slows down so just do things to make sure that you keep it up. A friend of mine said every time they felt the need for a cigarette they dropped to the floor and did 10 crunches! (maybe not so easy when in the middle of a shopping centre but ok for home!)

Keep your faith you can do it and if you slip up just start again tomorrow. It’s not the end of the world. Keep up the good work!
  • Pifflesmom
    Pifflesmom Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    First of all, CONGRATULATIONS on the smoking thing - GOOD ON YA!

Second of all, don't be discouraged (and I'm gonna take my own advice here, because this morning, I'm ready to throw in the towel and eat my body weight in doritos)...it's a journey and there are going to be bumps on the road.

Third of all - cut yourself a bit of slack - you're trying to make some serious life altering changes all at once - that's a very difficult thing to do. Don't overwhelm yourself by trying to be 'perfect' - rather, do the very best you can - because that's all we can expect of ourselves.

Focus on all of the GOOD things, and let the negative thoughts go...