how often do you eat?

do you have just your set meals like breskfast, lunch, dinner etc
or do you eat small and often? if so how often?

im trying to work out the best way to loose weight im eating every few hours small amounts but im feeling so full! lol

Replies

• neversettle
    neversettle Posts: 168 Member
    I eat 4 times a day.
    Breakfast, lunch, pre-gym snack, dinner.
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    I eat all day... It's not a normal approach, but it works for me :) I don't have real "meals", rather i graze throughout the day. At least I'm never hungry!
  • I have a small breakfast, a light snack, sensible lunch, another light snack, and a dinner. All meals are around 350 calories and i try to keep snacks under 200. This works for me and I never feel hungry. Smaller meals and snacks are supposed to help keep your sugars levels even all day. This helps with cravings. I find that it worls well for me.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    I eat pretty much when I'm hungry... sometimes that's 2-3 times a day (bigger meals), sometimes it's grazing all day long.

You have to find what works for you though. Some people an get away with 2 big meals, some people need to eat 5-6 smaller ones. Try one way for a month and see how you do. You need to find what works AND what is realistically sustainable for you.
  • eeebee
    eeebee Posts: 471 Member
    Half my breakfast at 8am and then the other half (usually half a wheat and oat bagel with a boiled egg white or two) at 11am.

Lunch is at 2-ish

Snack at 4pm

Gym 5:15pm & maybe an egg white to tie me over till dinner after the workout

Dinner = whenever I get home and cook it - usually too late to mention!!

It works for me and I rarely get ridiculously hungry :)
  • I typically eat four times a day. Breakfast at 9am, lunch around 1230, first supper at 4 and second supper (very small meal) around 7pm. I like to spread it out so that I never feel like I'm starving. Going to bed hungry sucks so I make sure to save some calories for a small second supper. :)
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    No breakfast.

Small lunch.

Big Dinner.

Snacks as and when. :)
  • I eat constantly. Well it seems that way to me. Somehow I've got to find a way to squeeze in 2000 cals with healthy food. Believe me when I say, my lunch box for work can't hold it all.

You're cheating yourself out of progress if you're skipping breakfast, IMHO. The earlier you eat, the earlier you'll be hungry again. Proof that eating starts your metabolism. Why wait?
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Typically 5 times a day. I will have a good breakfast, then a low calorie snack a few hours later, then a nice lunch then a snack a few hours later then dinner.

My sister made the comment this past summer, how do you stay so small and eat all day? I told her that is the secret.

Dr Oz just did a segment on eating every three hours to keep the metabolism up to lose weight. Most people I have met on here agree that eating is beneficial to losing weight.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    You're cheating yourself out of progress if you're skipping breakfast, IMHO. The earlier you eat, the earlier you'll be hungry again. Proof that eating starts your metabolism. Why wait?

Do you have said proof?
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    do you have just your set meals like breskfast, lunch, dinner etc
    or do you eat small and often? if so how often?

im trying to work out the best way to loose weight im eating every few hours small amounts but im feeling so full! lol

I would tailor this to personal preference and gym performance and nothing else. Eating breakfast or eating frequently does not jumpstart your metabolism -- it's a myth that hasn't diet out.

Thermic effect of feeding (TEF) is the energy expenditure that occurs from eating but it's based on caloric intake and to a lesser extent, macronutrient composition. It has nothing to do with frequency.
  • Shanna_Inc86
    Shanna_Inc86 Posts: 781 Member
    I eat pretty much when I'm hungry... sometimes that's 2-3 times a day (bigger meals), sometimes it's grazing all day long.

You have to find what works for you though. Some people an get away with 2 big meals, some people need to eat 5-6 smaller ones. Try one way for a month and see how you do. You need to find what works AND what is realistically sustainable for you.

This!
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member

In addition to my previous reply, I would like to add that if you are feeling full while eating at a deficit, this is a pretty good spot to be in. It's much better than being hungry all the time and consequently I would suggest you just keep doing what you are doing.
  • ludogx87
    ludogx87 Posts: 286 Member
    i eat constantly throughout the day, but will munch on carrots, jelly and apples and low cal things, veg soup etc, and then have a "breakfast" "lunch" and "dinner" (n usually toast b4 bed) lol but am usually always eating.... think i read somewhere it keeps your metabolisim working throughout the day x
  • DoubleE615312
    DoubleE615312 Posts: 173 Member
    3 "meals", 2 "snacks" most days.
  • every two hours
    8am, 10am, 12pm, 2pm, 4pm, 6pm water water water
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member

Do you have said proof?

Everyone knows that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Said proof will be if you give it a try and see what happens.

But here is some information for you to read: http://www.the-invisible-gym.com/why-it-is-so-important-to-eat-breakfast.html

Please also feel free to google it yourself as well.
  • Donners185
    Donners185 Posts: 329 Member
    I tend to eat five or six times a day, usually every 2 and a half to 3 hours. Usually about 300 cals per meal.
  • mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    For me it varies based on which shift I'm working. I tend to pack a variety of small things for when I'm at work and I can just nibble when I am hungry. On my days off it's a bit more structured. Breakfast shortly after I get up, than either snack and dinner later on in the day or lunch/dinner earlier and a snack later on. Do what works for you... eating all depends on your daily activities and schedule.
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    I eat every day between noon and 8 pm. Typically 3 meals, with the first two being within a 2 hour span. As sidesteal said, meal frequency is a personal preference thing and offers no metabolic benefit/detriment one way or the other.

The First Law of Nutrient Timing is: hitting your daily macronutrient targets is FAR more important than nutrient timing.