Pot Luck Dinner Control

Options
I have been doing very well thus far since I joined MFP (15 days!). Tonight is the 1st time I am going to a dinner that I do not have control of what is served. My book club meets once monthly and everybody brings food. I find it very hard to "control" myself when there is a smorgasbord available. Help?

Replies

• danagisana
    danagisana Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Just bring something that you know you can eat. Perhaps a big veggie tray or a big salad. Even if you bring 2 things and one is just for you. Most people understand. As well, exercise that day so you have some extra calories just in case. I also find eaten a huge salad beforehand to fill me up really helps me to not be hungry when I get there (a bag of lettuce and perhaps a tbsp of very low fat dressing...just to fill you up)
    You will do great!
  • StarIsMoving
    Options
    I have been doing very well thus far since I joined MFP (15 days!). Tonight is the 1st time I am going to a dinner that I do not have control of what is served. My book club meets once monthly and everybody brings food. I find it very hard to "control" myself when there is a smorgasbord available. Help?

The way I do it - I don't deprive. The key is moderation/portion. What works for me: Small plate (not the big ones) and take a taste of everything I want. No 2nd time around. That way you still participate, but... it's less calories, less "bad" stuff, but you also don't feel like you have to miss out to be healthy ;)
  • Shannonjoe1
    Shannonjoe1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Just went to a family potluck dinner yesterday and had the same problem. I just kept thinking about calories the whole time and already knew how many I could have thanks to this wonderful invention called "my fitness pal" :) so I put just a little of what I wanted on my plate. I had to concentrate real hard to NOT go back and get more (since that is what I have always done), but I didn't want to undo what I have accomplished so far. Good luck!!! :)

Shannon
    http://www.everystepcounts365.wordpress.com
  • dlynnkind
    dlynnkind Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    My friend once told me to think of your plate like a paint palette. Therefore one small taste of everything. Then you are not depriving yourself, but also not overdoing it. And look at the bright side, you have already changed your mind set, because you are thinking of it ahead of time and planning accordingly. Way to go! You can do it.

Dana
  • melodymist
    melodymist Posts: 43 Member
    Options

The way I do it - I don't deprive. The key is moderation/portion. What works for me: Small plate (not the big ones) and take a taste of everything I want. No 2nd time around. That way you still participate, but... it's less calories, less "bad" stuff, but you also don't feel like you have to miss out to be healthy ;)

Star always gives the best advice :)
  • StarIsMoving
    Options

Star always gives the best advice :)

You are just super sweet! Thank you :D
  • Betsiz17
    Betsiz17 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Ok, everybody. Here I go. Thanks for the advice and support. I am stopping at the gym for a quick treadmill walk first, then off to potluck. I'll report back.