need sugestions

Options
Hey Yall!

Here is my situation: We are in the process of moving and as of right now we are staying with my sister in law. We do not have gym memberships and cannot get one right now and it is FREEZING outside....soooooo... any suggestions on ways to burn calories and work out? We are moving out of state mid february and there will be a gym at the complex we are staying at but until then what should I do? I don't want to go walking in this weather and I know crunches don't really burn calories...at least not according to myfitnesspal. I don't need a large ammount of calorie burning ( I'm only trying to lose about 10-15 pounds and I guess technically I am still in my healthy weight but I would like to be smaller for my own benefit). i hope this all makes sense. lol
HELP!
love
cassie

Replies

• momof3and3
    momof3and3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    You can work out at home...there are so many fitness dvd's to choose from....you can rent some free from the library...or run up and down stairs, jumping jacks, jump rope....

Also, how cold is it out? I ran 6 miles today with a friend in 10* weather with a 0* wind chill...we dressed appropritately and got it done...was it miserable, yes for the first few miles...it just made us run faster :)
  • GeneveSparkles
    GeneveSparkles Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    If you don't have a huge workout DVD arsenal you can get a variety of free workouts on Hulu. I did the envy girls workout today and it was pretty good.
  • cbelt82
    cbelt82 Posts: 62
    Options
    I dont have alot of privacy here so i would be really embarassed to do a workout video ( I know that sounds lame). The jump rope idea sounds good... I might have to go get me one! I can probably do the workout on hulu when everyone is gone. lol. I dont even like to do them when my husband is home cuz he'd probably laugh at me lol
  • GeneveSparkles
    Options
    The girls on the Envy Girl workouts are really hot (they look like playmates or something lame like that) so you're boyfriend would probably be focused on them anyway, LOL! And they are really short workouts. Or take it old school and do push ups, sit ups, and squats, you might not get in great cardio but at least you would be doing something :) Feel free to friend me if you want.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Hey Yall!

Here is my situation: We are in the process of moving and as of right now we are staying with my sister in law. We do not have gym memberships and cannot get one right now and it is FREEZING outside....soooooo... any suggestions on ways to burn calories and work out? We are moving out of state mid february and there will be a gym at the complex we are staying at but until then what should I do? I don't want to go walking in this weather and I know crunches don't really burn calories...at least not according to myfitnesspal. I don't need a large ammount of calorie burning ( I'm only trying to lose about 10-15 pounds and I guess technically I am still in my healthy weight but I would like to be smaller for my own benefit). i hope this all makes sense. lol
    HELP!
    love
    cassie
    Easy!
    Calisthenics and dancing.
    Both require NOTHING - and it's the way all those convicts in prison stay in such great condition.

I hear.....lol
  • FitDC
    FitDC Posts: 63
    Options
    Go to an indoor shopping mall, grocery store, or Walmart and walk around there at a fast pace. Also, a lot of high schools offer inside adult evening classes such as Yoga, Line Dance, Pilates, etc. Go on, girl!!:flowerforyou:
  • abvickrey
    abvickrey Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    If there are stairs in your home, you can walk up and down them several times -- you'll be breaking out in a sweat in no time! Also, walking indoors works wonders! I would recommend you purchase a pedometer to keep track of the calories you burn. This one looks good:

http://www.amazon.com/Omron-HJ-105-Pedometer-Calorie-Counter/dp/B00006WNPY

The Omron HJ-105 Pedometer with Calorie Counter is a digital pedometer that displays time, aerobic steps, distance in miles, and even calculates calories/fat grams burned. This digital pedometer can help you track your exercise program progress, and makes it easier for you to set and reach your exercise goals. The HJ-105 even comes equipped with a seven-day memory function so you can track a week's worth of workouts. The device is simple to use; just set the time, your weight, and your stride length, and you'll be ready to go. The HJ-105 features a lightweight design with a spring clip that makes it a breeze to attach to your waist. Plus, with the snap-close back case that protects the LCD screen, Omron has built the HJ-105 to last.

GOOD LUCK!
  • topaz1311
    Options
    There are a lot of different fitness video's on here from beginner onwards.....

http://www.thinqfitness.com/
  • I_get_fit
    I_get_fit Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    If you like walking... what about walking around a mall. It's warm, free, and you can do it everyday :) Might be fun window shopping :laugh:
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I dont have alot of privacy here so i would be really embarassed to do a workout video ( I know that sounds lame). The jump rope idea sounds good... I might have to go get me one! I can probably do the workout on hulu when everyone is gone. lol. I dont even like to do them when my husband is home cuz he'd probably laugh at me lol

I don't think this sounds lame at all. When I first started doing workout videos, I REFUSED to do them in front of hubby for the same reason. While I still refuse to do jumping jacks in front of anyone, I have no problems doing my weight training workout/yoga combo in front of hubby and there are a LOT of grunts and heavy breathing going on in those lol.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Hey, you need to decide that your fitness goals trump your ego.

I get some funny looks from family as I dance like Justin Timberlake, and the truth is I probably look more like Jason Alexander dressed up like Chris Farley dancing like John Candy.

So what?
    I lost 67 lbs, so nothing - I mean NOTHING is going to get between me and my exercise.
    Laugh all you want!
  • cbelt82
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! Loving all the suggestions!! Will def get into some of them!!!
  • mmonconduit
    mmonconduit Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    This website has great free workout videos http://blogilates.com/
  • GeneveSparkles
    Options
    Also check out your city's Parks and Rec department, most cities will offer classes at a local park, high school etc. and they are usually pretty inexpensive.
  • MzFury
    MzFury Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    yes - vids and DVDs - check www.collagevideo.com as well, they're fabulous. Also, if you buy Women's Health, Shape, Self or Fitness, there will be workouts included, often in tear-out cards, and often featured to do with only body-weight, or in small spaces, etc. etc. - I subscribe two the first three and I actually use their workouts quite often! Getting a kettlebell is also a great idea for getting in extremely efficient workouts - strength + intense cardio in one - you can get it done fast and you also will be sore and reap really good athletic gains from adding that kind of circuit - good for any fitness goal but I find making sure I do stuff that makes me noticeably stronger just also really keeps my motivation way up to keep exercising, which is definitely my plan for my whole life!
  • MzFury
    MzFury Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I also used to be self-conscious doing DVDs around my husband - but first off, there are plenty that are not the cringe-inducing variety, several with really basic choreography (get a step and up the burn), and my husband is really really happy that I work out a lot - AND he very often hops on our stationary/spin cycle and gets in a workout when he wasn't otherwise planning on it ("...are you going to do a workout...?" "Yes." "...I guess I will, too. Do you need the 10-pound dumbbells?" - this happens frequently these days!). So I'd definitely think about just changing your level of confidence about getting your exercise done and what you're doing for yourself - and for living a long time with your husband - and see if the whole tone doesn't change... you never know... Also, our spin bike, bought with Xmas money a year ago, is one of the best investments we ever made. It was about $300 and is always there for a session of any intensity or length that we need, in any weather.
  • cbelt82
    Options
    Well last year we did P90X and had great results so once we get all our stuff out of storage and get moved I'm gonna get back into it