Stretch marks and random weight

Options
Ever since my pregnancy i got stretch marks everywhere. they look like flames coming up my belly, all around my side, pelvic area, down my legs, behind my knees, on my underarm, and a bit on my boobs. the nurse said they would disappear soon, but that was almost 3 years ago. They have yet to go down in color. I've tried mederma and lotions.

I've stayed around the same weight for the past 3 years. But i went from 190-250 during pregnancy and gained 20 lbs 3 months before pregnancy. lost 40lbs 1 month after pregnancy only to gain it back in a month.I also can be doing good losing 10-15lbs in a week to gain in back the next week. I jump around 5lb almost daily.

Has anyone else had this problem? do the stretch marks go away after a certain amount of weight loss? do you have random weight gain and loss?

Replies

• EQHanks
    EQHanks Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    As I started gaining weight in college, I did notice I got some stretch marks on my hips. They have faded but they are still present but so light they can hardly be seen. I think with losing weight, and through time they might start to fade.
  • Shanna_Inc86
    Shanna_Inc86 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I gained 60lbs while I was pregnant for my daughter. They told me I was eating for 2 and in my mind that meant 2 grown football players!!:noway:

I am also covered in stretch marks. I already had some on the inside of my thighs from a growth spurt of 4inchs in 9mos as a kid and then when I was pregnant...oy vey

Lost my baby weight, regained 40lbs, lost again. I'm not to goal weight yet, but I have little hope of my stomach ever looking good without surgery. I see them and the wrinkly loose skin more than anyone else and just zero in on it. I've never had a guy say anything about them (to my face at least) but it's a huge insecurity.

With that said, the ones on my thighs aren't noticable at all, then again they're 15yrs old. My stomach...meh...its getting better but they won't ever go away unless you have a tummy tuck or laser treatments.
  • beckysweetpea
    beckysweetpea Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    i dont think stretch marks ever really go away but they can diminish, try some bio oil lotion (dont know if its only in australia), but everyone i have spoken to about it says its the best thing for stretch marks and scars.

i have gained 60-70kg in the past 9 yrs and i only have a few on my stomach, near my arm pit and thats all i can see atm, but im sure i will get some later on in my weight loss journey.

and everyone that i have known to have kids dont mind their stretch marks as they say that its a reminder of their kids :)
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I have stretch marks, I doubt they will ever just go away, but they do fade. I've noticed mine have faded a lot. But when I am rubbing my coco butter over them I see them a lot more because the skin that pinches together shows lol. I suggest using coco butter it helps your skin tone to be even. I really believe it works. The more weight you lose and the more toned you get, the less they are seen but they will always be there.
  • kat2475
    kat2475 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I've had 2 kids and the stretch marks dont ever go away. They just fade and aren't as noticable as time goes by. The only thing that will get rid of them is plastic surgery. I believe they can laser them.
  • lizgreenhill
    Options
    when i got pregnant with my son i weighed 115lbs. The day i delivered i weighed in at 198lbs. I had stretch marks from head to toe it seemed like everywhere was huge. After i left the hosp i weighed 150. And i still had stretch marks pretty bad. I used Cocoa butter and other stretch mark cream 2-3 times a day for 2 months and they almost disappered to where you can only see them if you were really looking. I then lost 30 more lbs and i didnt have stretch marks at all. I gained 65lbs in the last year and i got ALL of my stretch marks back. But i found with the more weight i lost the harder it was to see stretch marks. I would try to use the lotions and stuff they really do work. Good luck
  • rebeccawalker1982
    rebeccawalker1982 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Never posted a pic so hope this works!

Ok so it didnt work...it was a great pic to look at the strach marks a different way! I will figure this out and try to post it.
  • Goofy076
    Goofy076 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I have heard some great things about bio oil, I am in the process of testing it out myself :)
  • lizgreenhill
    Options
    I have heard some great things about bio oil, I am in the process of testing it out myself :)

i am currently using this. I dislike the oil but it works.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Its crazy that your weight fluctuates at the rate of 5lb per day. Surely this can't be helping. Is it worth talking to the doctor about that? Mine have faded and are looking smaller as I loose weight. Never go away and it does depress me, but I don't think I can do anything about it now x
  • gunmetalsunrise
    Options
    If you have the money and time, try going to a dermatologist. You can use a combo of a retin A and glycolic acid to lighten stretch marks that are still red/bright in color. Won't get rid of them entirely, but can lighten the skin or tighten it.

I've also heard good things about dermarolling. I'm considering using one when I'm at my maintenance weight.
  • gem_cat
    gem_cat Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    i've been struggling with weight loss since 5th grade (summer brought lots of food at the table) so basically my whole body is like a canvas drawn with stretch marks. i never thought it was so bad until i lost about 20 pounds and really analysed myself in the mirror that i saw how it badly covered my body. at least its not red anymore. i didnt do anything with it yet, so i also need help. :frown:
  • catherine4211
    catherine4211 Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I've had stretch marks on my thighs and hips since junior high. Thankfully I managed to have 2 babies and not get any on my stomach so I don't have any "newer" ones. The ones I've had forever have faded but they are still there, in the same places they've always been! I accept them as part of myself now.
  • Shannon2714
    Shannon2714 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I am with you....I've had horrible stretch marks for years...it sucks
  • Metsfn4life
    Metsfn4life Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I got bad stretch marks on my thighs and calves when I was pregnant. My daughters is 4 now and they still look purpleish. I've just come to the realisation that this was part of bringing the best thing that ever happened to me into this world...my battle scars. I do notice that when I use self tanning lotion, it is less noticeable.
  • crystalslight
    crystalslight Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I got terrible stretch marks with my 1st pregnancy. I've been to a dermatologist. He says you can lather yourself with every kind of oil lotion and it won't get rid of them. The only way to get rid of them is to cut them out. He said they tear from the inside. I've had the laser treatment. It helps with the color. Not the texture.
    Since losing some weight. I'm not as insecure about my stretch marks. I wear a bikini. I've had 5 kids. This is what happens to a body when you bring little ones into the world. I'm ok with them.
    I'd LOVE to have surgery and get rid of them. But for 14,000 to 16,000 I'll live with it. I've got kids who need braces ect. Mommies always come last. :)
    They will lighten up. Good luck. If you find a miracle let us all know. :flowerforyou:
  • rebeccawalker1982
    rebeccawalker1982 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Ok some awsome person just helped me figure out how to post pics. Not that I or anybody else wants to have stretch marks but we have them and there really is nothing you can do about it….yes we can make them fade a little but they will always be there. I saw this online a couple weeks ago and it put a whole new perspective on our little situation!

157766793165817624_kqqR8BQZ_c.jpg
  • ninamm3
    ninamm3 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I have them too. My "baby" is 8. I also have an 11 and 12 year old. I blogged about my frustration and posted pics of my "flames"...on www.runningsforthebirds.blogspot.com ...The entry is called "The Truth About Skin -Uncovered.

I think they fade, but they don't disappear. :(
  • JohnsonLiz25
    Options
    I gained about 60lbs with my first son and got stretch marks everywhere also. I used lotions, oils, cocoa butter, body butter, skin tightening lotion, avacodo oil, stretch mark cream and pretty much anything else I heard might help!! nothing made them go away, it took me a year to get back to pre-baby weight and I did notice them get lighter in color.

As soon as I got back to pre-baby weight I got preg again, didnt gain as much weight but still working on getting it off. I now use a face cream (one for wrinkles) on my stretch marks and I think it helps to lighten them, and they seem to be less deep, but I dont expect them to ever go away!

Everyone is different so I would say just take care of yourself and your skin and dont worry about getting rid of the stretch marks cuz they probablly wont go away!

And as for your weight fluctuating 5lbs some days, everyones weight does fluctuate throughout the day (usually around 2lbs) Im sure there are many reasons for this but one I know about is water weight, make sure your drinking lots of water so you aren't retaining any!!! also a little tip is to always weigh yourself at the same time of day everytime (usually morning when you first wake up is best) that way you will get a more accurate weight!