The myth of the Fat-buring Zone

Options
I just read an interesting article regarding the "Fat-burning Zone" and thought I would share.

http://www.active.com/triathlon/Articles/The-Myth-of-the-Fat-burning-Zone.htm

Replies

• dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    I was thinking about this just two days ago. Thanks for sharing it was very helpful.
  • Amber82479
    Amber82479 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    bump
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! Very interesting. :D
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I see value in both low impact, low intensity cardio as well as concentrated, extreme anaerobic interval training.
    Couple the above with an effective program of resistance, and you have a solid program of body re-composition.

And all of this presupposes clean food intake.

I am striving for this ideal, and as good as my results have been, I want more.

This is it!
  • carlie_carl
    Options
    Ive had better results from interval training, when I first started 11 months ago I would do 90 minutes on a crosstrainer or eliptical trainer as you US guys know it? it worked at first but my body adapted, now i do short sprints and different variations of interval training, that mixed with strengh training has made me see my ribs for the first time in my life!! and im no small guy, im in the process of bringing out my abbs, so sticking to the interval training to shed some body fat from my stomach
  • Geordiegal08
    Geordiegal08 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Excellent article...my workouts are about to change!!!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,720 Member
    Options
    I think the biggest interpretation here that needs to be understood is that you burn a higher PERCENTAGE of fat in low intensity cardio, rather than at higher intensities. It doesn't mean you will burn more fat overall. Good article.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • grapenutSF
    grapenutSF Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I think the biggest interpretation here that needs to be understood is that you burn a higher PERCENTAGE of fat in low intensity cardio, rather than at higher intensities. It doesn't mean you will burn more fat overall. Good article.

I'm confused by this comment. Would you mind clarifying?

My biggest take-home was that in the time AFTER the exercise--during recovery-- steady state doesn't do much whereas anaerobic/interval/weights does. Lovely to hear, reinforces what I'm doing anyway!

This is all very sensible to me, and I have no reason to doubt, but just curious how credible the source and author are...? Also, is the author any relation to Allwyn Cosgrove who helped design New Rules of Lifting workouts???
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,720 Member
    Options

My biggest take-home was that in the time AFTER the exercise--during recovery-- steady state doesn't do much whereas anaerobic/interval/weights does. Lovely to hear, reinforces what I'm doing anyway!

This is all very sensible to me, and I have no reason to doubt, but just curious how credible the source and author are...? Also, is the author any relation to Allwyn Cosgrove who helped design New Rules of Lifting workouts???
    If you did HIIT for 5 mins and and compared that with walking for 5 mins, the percent of fat burned based on the exercise is higher for walking than HIIT. HIIT burns glycogen stores first, then fat. Walking mostly burns fat and doesn't tap glycogen because the intensity is low. But HIIT burns more overall calories.
    Also by raising your RMR, you burn much more fat at rest and HIIT and other high intensity workouts do this. Walking and low intensity exercise don't.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • 2fit4fat
    2fit4fat Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    sorry... whats HIT?
  • lsunderl
    Options
    Really interesting... trying to get myself motivated to pick up those weights :)
  • grapenutSF
    grapenutSF Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    sorry... whats HIT?

HIIT=high intensity interval training

Thanks, ninerbuff, for the explanation!

Isunderl, need motivation? See this:

http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

Their reference was also outside the HIIT the article was talking about, I think referencing another myth.

Training at this lower "fat-burning zone" of say 60-70% MHR allows your body to use a majority of fat as energy, depending on fitness, perhaps 50%. But because your effort is so low, you only burn x amount of calories.

But if you just did your 20-40 min cardio at a higher "aerobic zone" of say 70-80% MHR, while you body may only be able to use 33% of the energy from fat, rest carbs, you are actually burning 1.5x amount of calories.

So just using some figures, and everyone's would be different values, but with the same principle.

Fat-burning zone for 30 min at 130 HR - 300 cal.
    150 cal fat, 150 cal carbs. (50% fat)

High aerobic zone for 30 min at 160 HR - 500 cal.
    165 cal fat, 335 cal carbs. (33% fat)

So while the percentage of fat burned went down, the actual amount of calories burned from fat went up, and of course your general calorie burn went up.

Just goes to show, if you only have 20-30 min for exercise - make it really count by doing higher zone, or the HIIT referenced in the article.

The fat-burning zone is great if you are at race weight already and need to train the body for 2+ hr endurance events.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Summing Up the Research Findings

• In acute trials, fat oxidation during exercise tends to be higher in low-intensity treatments, but postexercise fat oxidation and/or energy expenditure tends to be higher in high-intensity treatments.
    • Fed subjects consistently experience a greater thermic effect postexercise in both intensity ranges.
    • In 24-hr trials, there is no difference in fat oxidation between the 2 types, pointing to a delayed rise in fat oxidation in the high-intensity groups which evens out the field.
    • In long-term studies, both linear high-intensity and HIIT training is superior to lower intensities on the whole for maintaining and/or increasing cardiovascular fitness & lean mass, and are at least as effective, and according to some research, far better at reducing bodyfat.

http://alanaragon.com/myths-under-the-microscope-the-fat-burning-zone-fasted-cardio.html
  • heybales
    Options
    If you did HIIT for 5 mins and and compared that with walking for 5 mins, the percent of fat burned based on the exercise is higher for walking than HIIT.

HIIT burns glycogen stores first, then fat. Walking mostly burns fat and doesn't tap glycogen because the intensity is low. But HIIT burns more overall calories.
    Also by raising your RMR, you burn much more fat at rest and HIIT and other high intensity workouts do this. Walking and low intensity exercise don't.

Actually, just to be clear on this for folks that really are interested in getting into it.
    Right on for percentage understanding, which is where most don't realize the difference.

The moments actually doing the high interval, into the anaerobic zone, would be carb burning, there would never be fat because fat requires oxygen, and the definition of anaerobic is without oxygen. The idea of HIIT is to get into that anaerobic zone.

Coming back to recovery level would be the same mixture of carb/fat that would normally occur, with the addition of the lactic acid just produced during the interval.

At total rest your system (unless insulin causes fat storage mode turned on) can do the almost total fat for energy, but as soon as you start moving, you start to approach that 50% mix.

So for folks using the HRM during HIIT, your calorie burn during the actual exercise will probably show a bit to a lot lower, because the short high HR doesn't avg out the long low HR during recovery to a decent avg that looks good.

But as you said, rest assured, you will burn more during the recovery after and all day long.

Even if you can't do HIIT, even if you can only walk, just raising the grade to something high for 30 sec, or striding really fast to that next light pole, can have great interval-like improvements.
  • runjenal
    runjenal Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting. Training for a 1/2 marathon in April to raise $ for the Leukemia and Lymphoma society (http://pages.teamintraining.org/al/gulfcoa12/jenmccoy) and didn't lose a pound the first two months. Started focusing on diet with MFP and adding weight training. I know I will be stronger, be able to run faster and longer with these additions and less weight on my body. Thanks for posting a great article!
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    On the other hand . . .

The advantage of training at a lower intensity for longer at first is that you can build a strong aerobic base and then after a number of months can train much longer at high intensities.

A question of short term vs. long term gain.
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    Summing Up the Research Findings

• In acute trials, fat oxidation during exercise tends to be higher in low-intensity treatments, but postexercise fat oxidation and/or energy expenditure tends to be higher in high-intensity treatments.
    • Fed subjects consistently experience a greater thermic effect postexercise in both intensity ranges.
    • In 24-hr trials, there is no difference in fat oxidation between the 2 types, pointing to a delayed rise in fat oxidation in the high-intensity groups which evens out the field.
    • In long-term studies, both linear high-intensity and HIIT training is superior to lower intensities on the whole for maintaining and/or increasing cardiovascular fitness & lean mass, and are at least as effective, and according to some research, far better at reducing bodyfat.

http://alanaragon.com/myths-under-the-microscope-the-fat-burning-zone-fasted-cardio.html

So this goes in the face of the "fasted state" training that people are doing to maximize the fat loss?
  • heybales
    Options

So this goes in the face of the "fasted state" training that people are doing to maximize the fat loss?

That has more to do with the fact that in the morning, before you eat, you are in fat burning mode already, that's what you were doing all night, any insulin spikes turning on fat storage are long gone.

So low intensity exercise at this time just keeps using that same mode. Your body of course starts using glucose to burn the fat at higher intensities, exactly the same as it normally would.

What probably has been noticed, is that compared to having a high carb breakfast/snack first and insulin putting you into fat-storage mode, you burn more fat first off this way.

But you can cause the same thing and have a snack first, something with much lower carbs and higher fat/protein.

I never like early morning jogs on totally empty stomach.