Bikram (or hot) Yoga Advice / Success Stories

Options
I'm starting bikram yoga next week - i.e. yoga in a 40degree room. I'm pretty unfit at the moment - I used to be in great shape until I kind of went off track last autumn after losing my job, but that's another story. Anyway, I'm hoping that bikram will help me get back to where I was. I'll be going before work, at 6:30am O_O

Mostly, I'm worried because I have a weak right knee due to a bit of nerve damage, and ligament tears following repeated dislocations. I'm worried I won't be able to manage a lot of the poses - but I do really want to try given that yoga and pilates has helped my knee in the past.

I'm also a bit nervous because I've gained a fair amount of weight, become quite unfit, and I know that as it's a hot room I'll not be able to wear much! Any tips from any ladies who've started bikram would be really appreciated, especially anybody who has started bikram quite overweight. I'd also love to hear some bikram weight loss / becoming fit success stories!!

Replies

• Fattack
    Fattack Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    anyone?
  • chicabean420
    chicabean420 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    You should be okay, but I would talk with the instructor before class, just to make sure it's a good idea for you to go. My advice is to drink plenty of water the day before and before class...bring water with you. (You're def gonna wanna pee before class haha). Also, make sure you eat something before class. Nothing major, but I find cream of wheat or a bowl of oatmeal is good.

Wear very little clothing. There's no judgement in yoga :) You're gonna be SWEATING like a mofo. You'll surprise yourself :)

And don't be too hard on yourself if you can't get the poses right away. You'll get there :)

I just went yesterday to a new studio and a different way of practicing from what I used to do where I used to live. They had a promo on for 2 weeks unlimited yoga for $20, so I bought that and plan on going as much as possible the next couple of weeks. Keep us posted as to how you're doing!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Hydrate well before you go,

Child's pose is your friend

Good luck! Hope you enjoy it!
  • chicabean420
    Options
    My second class had a lot less people in it, which caused me to work harder because I actually could...which resulted in me wanting to puke. I had to lay down for a few of the poses, I couldn't do it. It was too hot and I felt dizzy and gross. I thought for sure, I'll never go again...but a couple hours once I got home, I kinda feel like I want to go back for a 3rd day in a row. So I might go tonight. The post-feeling is kind of addicting...

Have you started?
  • Fattack
    Fattack Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! Due to monetary issues (I just started a new job) I'm starting next Thursday - yoga here in Holland is expensive - 12 euro for the first class, the second is free then all others are 15euro each (but you can buy lesson cards that reduce the price a little, but we're looking at 120euro for a month pass) - going to go *after* work a few days a week, and weekends, as it's probably more realistic for me than going every day at 6:30am!

Chicabean - it's great to hear from a "real person" about the "addiction" that I see written about so often with this yoga!
  • SandraNancy
    SandraNancy Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I do Moksha yoga, which is very similar to Bikram (hot room and many poses are the same). I love it. I was quite fit, then gained weight. My first hot yoga class I wanted to die; I left there thinking "these people are crazy! I am NEVER doing that again." However, later that evening I felt this wonderfully tired sort of peace and relaxation.

You might find it challenging at first, but stick with it; the results are fantastic. Almost every time I come out of class now, it feels like I've had a massage.
  • Ariana_75
    Ariana_75 Posts: 224
    Options
    I find that with any new classes I take, I have to go at least 6 times before I feel like I know what I'm doing. I absolutely love hot yoga! It's a great workout and it's so relaxing at the same time! But yes, do drink a lot of water before and during and don't forget to bring a towel. Have fun!! =)
  • toffee322
    toffee322 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    hi there. i love yoga and i do hot yoga and power yoga almost everyday. just make sure you are hydrated and you will survive. if you are feeling unwell, just sit down or lie down and easy breathing. your body will sure get used to it the more you do. i know yoga clothes show a lot of skin but i barely look at myself in the mirror during class, i usually look at some where on my shorts to keep me focus and balance. if i look at myself in the eyes, i'm quite uncomfortable, dont know why....even i do yoga a lot, i didnt lose weight from it... but i have gained muscles (from power yoga) and become more flexible. the best thing is you feel good after the class! it's great to find something you enjoy doing and feel good about yourself.
  • chicabean420
    Options
    I've been reading that with a reasonable diet and consistent Bikram you can lose weight. Has anyone done it yet? I find that after practice, I'm too relaxed to go out and hit the treadmill or the weights. I might have to start making it happen though, because I don't feel like I'm losing...that being said, I told myself I won't step on a scale til Feb 1st, so I don't really know for certain
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! Due to monetary issues (I just started a new job) I'm starting next Thursday - yoga here in Holland is expensive - 12 euro for the first class, the second is free then all others are 15euro each (but you can buy lesson cards that reduce the price a little, but we're looking at 120euro for a month pass) - going to go *after* work a few days a week, and weekends, as it's probably more realistic for me than going every day at 6:30am!

Chicabean - it's great to hear from a "real person" about the "addiction" that I see written about so often with this yoga!

where are you going? I practice at bikram rotterdam. i started out practicing 3 times a week on a 10 lesson card, now i've been practicing every day for 3 weeks and intending to continue. it's much easier if you go a lot. there are all kinds of people in our class, not everyone is lean and ultra muscular, far from it. allow yourself the space to rest in poses that you can't do (yet): the key thing is alignment, not how far you can bend. I fall out of poses a lot, but it's just about learning: you don't have to be perfect, no one is! I switch my lesson times around to suit my schedule, I often go to the 8pm class, to the 9.30 am class. I like it that the schedule is so extensive, there's always a time slot to suit my day. Hope to see you around soon. (if you're in rotterdam that is, or the hague)

Enjoy yourself (seriously)
  • lodro
    Options
    I've been reading that with a reasonable diet and consistent Bikram you can lose weight. Has anyone done it yet? I find that after practice, I'm too relaxed to go out and hit the treadmill or the weights. I might have to start making it happen though, because I don't feel like I'm losing...that being said, I told myself I won't step on a scale til Feb 1st, so I don't really know for certain

Actually, I need to watch that I eat enough or I would lose too much weight. But then I don't eat that much to begin with. You don't burn that much with Bikram, and it's easy to overestimate calories burned during a session.
  • chicabean420
    Options
    Actually, I need to watch that I eat enough or I would lose too much weight. But then I don't eat that much to begin with. You don't burn that much with Bikram, and it's easy to overestimate calories burned during a session.

Interesting, because online calculators would say otherwise! I've seen them say that you burn about 1000 calories in a 90minute class. I'll keep an eye on it though :)
  • chicabean420
    Options
    Here's a link to the calculator I was using:
    http://www.bikram-yoga-noosa-australia.com/weight-loss-and-yoga.htm
  • lodro
    Options

Interesting, because online calculators would say otherwise! I've seen them say that you burn about 1000 calories in a 90minute class. I'll keep an eye on it though :)

That's really high: I'd factor in somewhere between 300 and 500, depending how you do in class.
  • chicabean420
    Options
    What I SHOULD do is buy a HRM and figure it out, because I feel like I work REALLY hard in class! *shrug* I'm definitely losing inches, so I must be balancing out my diet/exercise somehow!
  • skinnyfat14
    skinnyfat14 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I do Moksha yoga, which is very similar to Bikram (hot room and many poses are the same). I love it. I was quite fit, then gained weight. My first hot yoga class I wanted to die; I left there thinking "these people are crazy! I am NEVER doing that again." However, later that evening I felt this wonderfully tired sort of peace and relaxation.

You might find it challenging at first, but stick with it; the results are fantastic. Almost every time I come out of class now, it feels like I've had a massage.

What is the difference between Moksha and Bikram? I've done Moksha but I am going to start Bikram this weekend.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,619 Member
    Options

Average burn of any yoga class is about 450 calories for a 90 minute class. It's isometric training and that doesn't burn much in calories.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • robbda
    robbda Posts: 82
    Options
    I Love it! i only did it for 3 weeks for a deal but I lost 9lb - the best thing is you realise very quickly that the day before bikram you should drink 2 litres and sips on the day and you get into the habit of regularly drinking water..

I felt amazing about 20mins after my class and after a week and a half I started craving healthy food rather than stodge!!!

my advice - stick with it - the first class you think you are going to die.. I remember thinking the corpse pose was aptly named. After 3 lessons I was doing more and more and sitting out less and less...im my last week i realised I could actually do one of the poses and touch my toes - something I couldn't do three weeks previous

enjoy!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,619 Member
    Options
    What I SHOULD do is buy a HRM and figure it out, because I feel like I work REALLY hard in class! *shrug* I'm definitely losing inches, so I must be balancing out my diet/exercise somehow!
    HRM's don't accurately read "strength" workouts. They are designed for cardio workouts.
    A great example is if you went a watch a suspense or scary movie, your heart rate would increase, but you didn't increase calorie burn.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • skinnyfat14
    skinnyfat14 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Did anybody else get a headache after the class? Maybe I didn't have enough water?? I had close to 2 liters during the day before class.