Can exhaustion hinder weight loss!?

Options
I work as a Toddler Teacher in a daycare center. We lost an employee 2 weeks ago, so until January I work 6am-6pm everyday, and my job is pretty active, keeping up with a group of 2 year olds for 12 hours a day!!! I have a 2 hour break in the middle of the day, and I spend it at the gym. (I do at least an hour of cardio everyday)

I am EXHAUSTED. Will pushing myself so hard while I'm this tired hinder my weight loss -- or even cause weight gain?

Replies

• jazzalea
    jazzalea Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I don't know for sure, but I' will be watching this topic with interest,

My own experience has been that I do stall when I'm exhausted and sometimes gain back......... but then I tend to cheat more both on extra comfort foods, and by letting myself off easy with my cardio "because" I'm working so hard elsewhere......... but I know it's just an excuse..... it's my mental determination that suffers the most
  • papastu
    papastu Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    I think you could drop the cardio and replace with a little strength training, just my opinion as your very active

Stu
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    It certainly can, raised cortisol levels from being stressed (exhaustion is a huge stressor) can certainly hinder weight loss and even lead to weight gain.
  • Araldia
    Araldia Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    The problem with exhaustion is it tends to be linked to physical stress, ie, adrenal issues. Too much over time can lead to weight gain as the body fights to cope with too much cortisol.
  • aliburstall
    Options
    Exhaustion can certainly hinder your ability/willingness to exercise. Also, if you aren't getting enough sleep, your body isn't appropriately healing from the previous day.
    It takes 21 days (approximately) to adjust to a change, so give yourself a little leeway for the next few weeks.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    It certainly can, raised cortisol levels from being stressed (exhaustion is a huge stressor) can certainly hinder weight loss and even lead to weight gain.

^^^^^^^^^
    THIS

If you are exhausted you may need more rest/sleep. I don't know where your activity level is set, but if it is not very active you will want to change it at least until this situation changes. That will increase your calories. Also make sure you are getting lots of protein. It will help with recovery from all that activity. I would suggest at least .7 grams per pound of body weight, and going over that is good.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is simply burning more calories than you consume, period. So your schedule will not hinder your weight loss progress if you follow that simple rule. However, if you aren't getting enough sleep (6 hours per night) then you could experience other health issues if the lack of sleep is prolonged.
  • LeonaB17
    LeonaB17 Posts: 304
    Options

Yep - I was going to say the same thing. Give yourself a break!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is simply burning more calories than you consume, period. So your schedule will not hinder your weight loss progress if you follow that simple rule. However, if you aren't getting enough sleep (6 hours per night) then you could experience other health issues if the lack of sleep is prolonged.

It's only this simple for a healthy, normal person. Add in a confounding factor, like high stress levels, or a metabolic disorder, and that changes the equation completely.
  • tigersmom75
    Options
    FOR SURE!! I wore a bodymedia for the past year and it records my sleep. One weird thing I found? On the days I barely slept and was totally stressed it didn't matter how much I ate (I tend to eat less when stressed/busy) - I did NOT Lose weight that week. Whether my deficit was 500 calories or 1000 on average the weight wouldn't budge. The weeks I slept more I lost more even if I worked out less, ate worse, etc.. For me stress just piled on the pounds!! If I were in your shoes (and during the summer months I kinda am - as I do in home child care and in the summer when kids are out of school I work 6 a.m. - 8 pm.) I'd just focus sleep, some strength training and keep the cardio to stress reducing activities (a nice walk where you can clear your mind). Take care of yourself by listening to your body. And keep the fluids up - it's hard to do that when you work long days but it does help.
  • CassPerkins
    Options
    I'm not positive but I am pretty sure it can. What I have noticed is that I am more exhausted when I wake up now than I was before I started working out. I can take a nap but I still wake up feeling like I should be in a coma.
  • JoniBologna
    JoniBologna Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    YES! Stress can absolutely hinder weight loss. In fact, stress is worse for your body than carrying around extra weight. Hope your stressful situation passes soon.
  • firefly101
    Options
    12 hours with 2-year-olds?! You should get some kindof a prize for that.

The others have covered it pretty well... here's my advise: be doubly sure to get your zzzzz's and be extra extra good to yourself... if that means making good lunched the night before or taking yourself to get a facial or having coffee with a friend to vent, do it!

wow...first the holidays and now this, huh? you are surely getting a bunch of exercise at YOUR job! Good Luck!
  • kessalove
    kessalove Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Exhaustion and stress can make you gain weight or unless you're one of the lucky ones where it makes you lose weight instead...I notice when I don't get enough sleep I just want to eat and end up binging and then the guilt comes on...I've also noticed even though I'm exhausted if I work out even for 30 minutes on the treadmill or elliptical I feel better and sleep much better too!
  • ramseyrose
    ramseyrose Posts: 421 Member
    Options

Thats exactly what I was going to say.

Try and get at least 7 hours sleep - you sound like you need to :yawn: