Half Marathon Traning and ???'s

Options
2»

Replies

• brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    1) if you ran 250 your first one, I am guessing there was a good deal of walking. If you can get your fitness up to par and run this one smarter, no 2:30 isn't out of the question
    2) maybe I missed it, but what is your running base
    3) I like compression sleeves, socks, etc. I have issues with mine as well and they do help
    4) In my opinion, the best training method is the one made for you. Do you have access to an actual running club and coach? I have seen the best improvement via this method.
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Can't go wrong with Galloway or Higdon. Pick a plan and stick to it is really the key.
  • gottolosethisfat
    Options
    This is really useful - I'm going to keep a note of this for my training for the Birmingham (UK) half.

Hey I am doing the birmingham half marathon in October jut started running if you need a running buddy let me know :)
  • gleechick609
    Options
    I started Jeff Galloways plan. I would highly recommend AGAINST the person who wrote about training 6 days a week for an hour or more each day. That is just going to increase your risk of overuse injuries, especially if you are a recreational runner and not used to all of that pounding on your joints and bones.

Agreed x's 2.
  • allie7383
    allie7383 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I'm running my second Half next month. The first time around I didn't train as much as I wanted, and the farthest I had run was about 6.5 miles.. I was feel ing ok until the last 2-3 miles.. By then I was so ready to be done. My finish time was 2:27. This time I'm using Hal Higdon and really hoping to get under 2:20.. I agree with what others have said... It's ok to fudge your runs during the week, but def do not miss the long runs, both to improve your physical and mental endurance.. good luck!
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I ran my first half about four years ago (or so) and a friend of mine made my training schedule. In all honesty I find Hal HIgdon's program has a lot more running than what is necessary. The reason I say that is because My program consisted of me running: Monday; Wednesday; Thursday and Sunday and that was plenty of runs and truth be told I was tired of running that many days and it wasn't even that much. Hal's program has you running every single day and as an avid runner I would get tired and discouraged if I was forced to run that often iin my training scheudle. My schedule was: Monday was a pace run, Wednesdays alternated between tempo and speed work; Thursday was my recovery run and Sunday was my long run. It worked out very well. I started out thinking a 9:30 was hard and within a few weeks a 9 minute mile felt like a 10 minute mile. I also did weight training during the weeks too.

As far as the time goes, do what you feel is comfortable. You run your first and race your second. If you think that you can finish in 2:30 then do your training so that you do.

Also, during the half that I ran I did a gu pack before the race and had to do another one about haf way through and it most definitely heaped with the energy. Make sure you carb up the night before and have a good breakfast the day of, just not too close tot he start and water water WATER!
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Hal Higdon's Novice Program does not have people running every day.

Three days of running with one cross training day and another day to either cross train or run pretty much make up the cardio. He suggests you stretch and strengthen one day and do strength on another cardio day. Every week has at least one rest day.

Even his Advanced Program has a least one rest day per week.
  • falsecho
    falsecho Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    My first 1/2 is Nashville also. Like many others are using, I am doing the Hal Higdon's schedule
  • Williamj
    Williamj Posts: 199 Member
    Options
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    1.) Half Marathon training schedule you like?
    Nike plus has some you can follow. but you should be runnning at least at a bare minimum 25 miles a week in my opinion...

2.) What would be a good time to aim for (knowing I did last in 2:57? Is 2 hours 30 minutes too much?
    to be honest, i don't know... it seems like you didn't really know what you were doing going into the first one, and that is kinda risky. I've never heard of anyone saying they were crying during a race because they were in so much pain just finishing it. I would really try to be smarter about preparing yourself because injuries can and will happen if you are not prepared....

This would depend on your long run pace or just any running pace. Based on your 3 hour finish time you were running like 13.5 min miles... If that is your normal pace, then go for a closer time like 2:55 or something. If you usually run 6 mines in an hour, then I would aim at about 2 hour 15 min. Just based on the speed you normally run, you should aim for.

3.) Do you recommend compression sleeves for my calves? (I still have issues with them getting so tight even at 3m runs)

If your calfs are getting tight, stop and stretch them. Don't run so fast. or just keep going. If your calfs are sore after, then there is a problem, but if they are only hurting during, that is kinda normal.
  • april1lowe
    april1lowe Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Do you have any recommendations for a training schedule for a Half? This will be my 2nd and is in 3 months so plenty of time to train. My first I did not train at all and that was a very bad decision. Adrenaline carried to mile 9.5 but after that I swore every word there was :grumble: and even cried a couple times :sad: ! I was in so much pain afterwards and STILL have a black toenail:sick: . Anyways I did finish before my goal of 3 hours in 2 hours and 57 minutes :tongue: At the end my calves were cramping so bad. So questions:

1.) Half Marathon training schedule you like?
    2.) What would be a good time to aim for (knowing I did last in 2:57? Is 2 hours 30 minutes too much?
    3.) Do you recommend compression sleeves for my calves? (I still have issues with them getting so tight even at 3m runs)

Any other tips let me know please!

I am starting my training next week! Eeeeekkkk! I've only done 5Ks up to this point but have busted out a few 6 milers on my own so I know I could do a 10K. It takes me about 65 min for my 6 miles so I hope I come in pretty decent at my half in April :/ Anyways, this is the program I'm using.

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51131/Half-Marathon-Novice-1-Training-Program