Would y'all mind...

Options
Hey everyone! I hope y'all are having a wonderful Monday :tongue:

I was wondering if some of y'all might mind taking a moment to look at my food diary and let me know how I'm doing with my choices. I'm having a really hard time deciding if I'm doing alright or not. I deff drink more water than I log...I just find it a pain to log it into my diary every day!

Thanks so much :heart:

-Liz:flowerforyou:

Replies

• japruzze
    japruzze Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I'm not a nutrionist but when I look at your diary I see low protein. Looks like you are making good choices on what to eat but I'd switch it up and increase % of calories you are getting from protein and reduce the carbs.
  • ZombieChaser
    ZombieChaser Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    Hey Liz :)

You've already lost 6lbs! I would say that you're making the right choices :)

However, I've noticed that you're consistently under 1200 cals/day, especially on your exercise days. While this may work for you in the short term, please be very careful as this could be dangerous to your metabolism in the future.

I've also noticed that you're entering {unnamed} quick calories - what are those?
  • pinkribbons4hope
    Options
    I honestly can't remember what those unnamed calories are now :)

Any ideas on how I can up my protein? I'm struggling with that.

I know my calories aren't high enough and that is definitely something I've been struggling with. I've had issues with eating disorders in the past, so I'm really trying hard at upping my calories without feeling like I've overeaten and having that lead to bad, bad things.

I'm also having a hard time with the concept of eating back my exercise calories...I feel like it defeats the purpose of working out...?

Thanks for taking the time to look!
  • suztheq
    suztheq Posts: 171
    Options
    I honestly can't remember what those unnamed calories are now :)

Any ideas on how I can up my protein? I'm struggling with that.

I know my calories aren't high enough and that is definitely something I've been struggling with. I've had issues with eating disorders in the past, so I'm really trying hard at upping my calories without feeling like I've overeaten and having that lead to bad, bad things.

I'm also having a hard time with the concept of eating back my exercise calories...I feel like it defeats the purpose of working out...?

Thanks for taking the time to look!

Eggs, egg whites, turkey breast, chicken breast, lean beef are a few examples of ways to up your protein. I don't know if you like Lentils, but they are a pretty decent source of protein for veggies. They are low in fat and high in fiber -which is never a bad thing. There is also protein powder. We have a "cake batter" flavor at home that is really good. You can mix it with water and I sometimes mix it with skim milk. This is a great way to up your protein AND get back some of those exercise calories without eating more. Which may help ease you of any guilt you may feel about eating.
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Looks good, but I'd be careful about staying under 1200 calories. It can be counterproductive. I've found it's actually better to go a little over than to stay under.
  • ZombieChaser
    ZombieChaser Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    Protein: Eggs! Especially in the morning, they'll go a long way in helping you feel full.
    Meat - you can always include a small (70g) can of tuna to any salad to increase your protein.

Eating back your calories... well, that's a whole other can of worms right there! It all depends on you, and how your body reacts to exercise and caloric intake. For me personally, I'll eat my calories back to put me at 1200 cals/day, and that's it. Basically, I exercise so i can eat more, in the long run, im slimming down AND eating foods that are an "indulgence" for me. If i eat 1200 cals/day and not exercise, then that's it, I won't eat anymore. But, if I exercise and burn 500 cals, I'll eat most of those back to make sure I don't go under 1200 cals/day net.

But like I said, do what works for you :)
  • pinkribbons4hope
    Options
    What does protein powder taste like? Is it gritty? Does it create a shake?
  • BellydanceBliss
    Options
    tofu, smoothies with protein powder, legumes, legumes, legumes lol, nuts
  • BellydanceBliss
    Options
    yes like a smoothie i prefer whey powder...certain bodies need more protein than others. My body thank gawd has a lot of muscle mass I DO NOT feel good unless I eat a lot of protein but meat doesnt agree with me...you can try eggs but i cant eat those either lol
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Don't bother with protein powder. You can get protein from whole food sources. Eggs. Egg whites. Cottage cheese. Greek yogurt. Chicken breast. Fish. Seafood.

I think your protein levels are fine for starting out. They are well within the MFP guidelines. That's great for starting out. You are eating lots of fruit and veggies.

Try not to use the quick add calories.

I think you should eat your exercise calories. Those calories fuel your exercise and your body post workout.

I think you are doing great. Keep it up.
  • Leesseebee
    Options
    Your food looks pretty good to me. I agree that you might want tot try and up your calories to closer to your daily goal and include some protein-like at breakfast. For example, when you are making oatmeal, add a tbsp of peanut butter/nut butter (almond, cashew...) and then cook it-it is more filling and I think its tasty.
    An additional oatmeal tip: I mash up a ripe banana in a bowl, add instant oats, 1tbsp of pb, cinnamon and add water-stir it up and put it in the microwave. Delicious.
    Also, be wary of pre-prepared foods (processed meats specifically) as they have a lot of hidden sodium and other stuff that is not awesome for your insides!
    Great progress so far!
  • BellydanceBliss
    Options
    yeah listen to these folks about those calories. When I was young I really screwed up my metabolism starving myself when I didn't need to. When I look at you, I don't really see someone who needs to lose weight as opposed to toning. Maybe try lifting some weights but then you have to make sure you are eating enough protein for that. I myself would feel sick if I only ate 1200 a day. When I started here like 10 days ago, they had me at 1400 then I lost a bunch of water weight and it bumped me up to 1600 and i was having a hard time eating it all...I still however still lost weight if i watched the sodium etc all those little things we all need to do ya know?
  • cjthumper
    cjthumper Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have used Jay Robb Whey protein for awhile. I like to make smoothies in the morning with it., A little almond milk, the protein, and some frozen fruit of your choice makes a delish breakfast.

Right now I am using Myoplex lite and like it as well. They only come in choc and vanilla, so I add things like extracts (coconut and almond are my faves) or a packet of Starbucks VIA. With the chocolate, it tastes like an iced mocha.
  • pinkribbons4hope
    Options
    Thank you all so, so much for your thoughts and suggestions! I'll really work on trying to up my calories! It's a really tough thing for me to do, especially having a history of anorexia and bulimia. But I think I'm doing pretty well so far, and if I try and eat a little more each day that should help. I will try adding peanut butter to my oatmeal...I love PB!!!
  • SarahMorganP
    SarahMorganP Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    As for the quick calories, I use them all the time, but I always put exactly what those calories were in the notes section. So I will write "snack quick calories = 3 homemade choc chip cookies" or something like that.