strenght training for a dummie?

Options
lol, I need some help setting up a strength training regime. I have the cardio covered with Zumba! But I want to build muscle and tone. I have no gym membership and can't afford one. The only weights that I have are 2lb lol. So, if you have any good weightless strength training resources I'm all ears. I can do videos off of netflix or exercisetv if you have any suggestions. Thanks!

Replies

• thecrossfitter
    thecrossfitter Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    While I would certainly recommend to get into using free weights, I think the below is a great starting point for body weight strength work:

http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/
  • gseburn
    gseburn Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Push-ups, squats, lunges, umm laundry detergent bottle arms curls? ;-)
  • mpena1980
    Options
    bump for later
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    The only way to build muscle is to train (exercise) with heavy weights. Anything else is just cardio. Prioritize your budget and invest in some weight-training equipment.
  • ssstefanieee
    ssstefanieee Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I just got the book "New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women" It has TONS of routines and breaks them down easily,
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    It's dorky but I needed to start somewhere so I'm doing this Wellness Workout (basic strength-training workout which has one exercise for each major muscle group. You can use your 2 lb weights to start and I'm using my cedar chest for a bench but I've used a coffee table in the past too.

http://www.wellnessletter.com/html/fw/fwFit03StrengthTraining.html
  • emmyvera
    emmyvera Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I went to a cardio dance class yesterday and the instructor did an entire song as an arm workout WITHOUT weights.
    My arms are sure feeling the burn today. We just moved in one spot and used our arms in "weight-like" movements and it was just like lifting. Was great! :happy:
  • addisondisease
    addisondisease Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    The only way to build muscle is to train (exercise) with heavy weights. Anything else is just cardio. Prioritize your budget and invest in some weight-training equipment.

My face when you've never heard of body weight exercises.
  • BCKS
    BCKS Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    If and when you decide to buy some weights, look at the Bowflex Selecttechs. They're adjustable dumbbells with a wide range of weight and they're awesome!! This way you have all the weights you need in one pair, instead of several pairs of dumbbells lying around.
  • RentThisSpace
    RentThisSpace Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    While I would certainly recommend to get into using free weights, I think the below is a great starting point for body weight strength work:

http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

I'd agree with this and also say check out this article as well:

http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2010/12/20/the-20-minute-hotel-workout/

This article is for how to perform body weight exercises in your hotel room with limited equipment. Probably close to what you are looking for. Also, you very well CAN build muscle without expensive weights or machines (though they can help). There are plenty of exercises that can be done to build muscle while not hitting the gym. These are just a few examples and there are several more.
  • addisondisease
    addisondisease Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Honestly guys telling her to buy weights when she clearly states that isn't her goal?

OP check out
    http://www.amazon.com/Convict-Conditioning-Weakness-Survival-Strength/dp/0938045768/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1326745401&sr=8-1

Lots of body weight with plenty of progression, and the only thing you buy is the book.

(its free if you know how to torrent, but i won't get into that here)
  • tenessaa
    tenessaa Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    thanks for the start guys! I love the body weight workout posted! I will get started with it. I am saving for a new car right now and weights are pretty low on the priority list...lol
  • LindaCWy
    LindaCWy Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Alot of Jillian Michael's workouts are body weight based.
  • lauristewart
    lauristewart Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Get some DVD's....Bob Harper's are great! It includes weights and cardio....I love his stuff!!
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    Poppycock.

There are some excellent and highly effective strength training regimes which use purely body weight and require zero equipment, zilch, zip, de nada, bugger all.
  • jarae876
    jarae876 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    You know some cheap weights to get started on you can find in your panty. Your can's, bag of beans and such. Most of those are a pound so hold those in your hands. To move up in weight put the item like beans/rice into old tube socks. I have seen these used and really help at least until you can get some if you want to.
  • njoithomp
    Options
    Purchase Oxygen magazine. There is a lot of strength training exercises and information and its all geared toward women. or you can check out their website, www.oxygenmag.com.

Good luck!
  • Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this thread, I'm looking I start weight training too :smile: