Help with Measurements of Servings

Options
I am confused when it comes to serving sizes. This morning I ate oatmeal with one cup of mixed fresh berries. I have a food scale so I weighed out 8 ozs of berries thinking it was a cup....a cup is a cup right? Well it looked like so much food that I only ate half of the berries.

My question is: is 8 ozs weighed on a food scale the equivalent to using a measuring cup? When would you use a food scale versus a measuring cup?

Obviously 8 ozs measured on a food scale is much bigger than a measuring cup.

Replies

• klewis81
    klewis81 Posts: 122
    Options
    There two different types of ounces, one is by weight only and one is fluid ounces. Unless it is a liquid, measurements on MFP's food database don't use fluid ounces. 8 non-fluid ounces of berries is a lot, use grams or use a measuring cup.
  • stephsteph76
    stephsteph76 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    8 oz = 1 cup. I prefer to use a measuring cup. On the measuring cup you can measure out in cups and/or oz.
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    There two different types of ounces, one is by weight only and one is fluid ounces. Unless it is a liquid, measurements on MFP's food database don't use fluid ounces. 8 non-fluid ounces of berries is a lot, use grams or use a measuring cup.

This!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    8 oz = 1 cup. I prefer to use a measuring cup. On the measuring cup you can measure out in cups and/or oz.

this is not accurate unless it is liquid, or with flour or the like. Not accurate at all if there is space between things in the cup, best way to measure for solids is by weight.
  • Airliner
    Airliner Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Wrong. Klewis81 is right. You are actually comparing apples to oranges.

Blame our forefathers for such a confusing system. There are two types of ounces - weight ounces and volume ounces. When you use a measuring cup, you are measuring volume, not weight. An ounce of liquid does not necessarily weigh an ounce of weight.

As klewis pointed out, use a measuring cup mainly to measure liquids, and use a scale to measure everything else; usually grams is easiest and most accurate.
  • margo36
    margo36 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I much prefer weighing food much easier to control. :flowerforyou:
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    I agree - weigh solids, measure fluids.
  • AmeChops
    AmeChops Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    e.g. - 1 8oz cup of chicken might weigh 8oz but 1 8oz cup of lettuce really isn't going to weigh 8oz

I'm in the UK an we don't use cups as a form of measurement - they confuse the hell out of me lol!! I used to always weigh foods but I eat the same stuff quite a bit and now know what 80g of mushrooms look like so don't bother with stuff like that :-))
  • rhogro
    rhogro Posts: 12
    Options
    Thanks this was very helpful.