Cheat meal or Cheat day?

Options
I've been reading through lots of posts and saw someone said it was good to have a spike in calories every once in a while. Should one have a cheat meal or a cheat day, and how often? To what cheating extreme do you go?

**Feel free to add me, I am looking for friends to give and receive motivation & support!

Replies

• BuffyKicksButt
    Options
    I would like to know as well - I find it hard to not cheat/spike all day - its like well I already had pizza may as well have some ice cream or a cookie too.....probably not doing it right :)
  • Becks20vt
    Becks20vt Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I do a cheat meal on a Saturday as that's the day I get the most cardio exercise in, which helps me mentally the next day to be right back on the bandwagon! This week was turkish kebabs with greek yoghurt! Not exactly unhealthy true but i ate as much as i wanted!
  • cland13
    Options
    A spike in calories IS a good thing every now and then. Read up on zig-zag eating/dieting-- basically you change how many calories you eat each day. One day 1200, one day 1500, 1100, 2000, etc. This ensures that your body doesn't get used to running off of a certain amount of calories, which can cause a plateau if you're trying to lose weight.

I like to give myself a cheat meal every now and then. I find that a cheat day makes me feel too guilty, then I have the urge to starve myself the next couple of days. But eating fruits and veggies all day, then having a cheat meal... that makes me feel less guilty. Do what you need to do to be healthy, but also don't deprive yourself! =)
  • emmyvera
    emmyvera Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I don't mind a cheat meal now and then. Heck yesterday I had three chicken soft tacos at the local mexican restaurant and some chips!! :tongue: But I worked hard at the gym yesterday. I find for me personally, I'm happier with the end result and emotions, if I mix up a day of a good workout with a guilty pleasure. If did the whole day like that and didn't work out, then I'd feel guilty. Of course, there are exceptions even to that, like Thanksgiving. :laugh: