Wii to burn calories?

Options
2»

Replies

• jlj9287
    jlj9287 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I use Wii Fit from time to time, but I don't find it very challenging. I LOVE EA Active, though it is less like a game and more like an actual fitness class (lots of upper body exercises like shoulder presses and bicep curls, lower body like squats and lunges, and cardio like boxing and running.)
  • seerenrun
    Options
    Just Dance is a blast, and I know I'm burning calories while I do it, which makes it even better! Have Wii Fit board as well, but don't use it as often.

One thing you might do is get Netflix. You can use your Wii to stream tons of workout videos, there are several dance-related ones.
  • TeresaB1123
    Options
    EA Active totally kicks my butt!! :yawn:
  • sweetptgrl
    sweetptgrl Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I just got EA Sports Active 2 for Wii and it was about $22 at Wal-Mart. I love it more than the Wii Fit Plus for burning calories. I also use Just Dance 2 and 3 and have Gold's Gym (which I don't use too often because for some reason my controllers don't seem to respond the way they should).
  • amizimmerman
    Options
    Wii Fit Plus is def worth the money...I use it everyday for the 20 min runs and boxing even the free step to wind down..and also i use the EA Sports Active 2 and that is awesome I easily burn calories with that and play it every morning for a hour..
  • mommakatwoman
    Options
    I hear that there is a Zumba exercise with theWii; I bet that really works to burn alot of calories.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else use a Wii to knock off extra calories?
    I've recently bought one and I only have Wii sports but the Boxing mode knocks off a good bit...or its supposed to.
    Does anyone else who use one, would you be able to recommend a few different game to buy to burn cals?
    I really want to get a wii fit but their still close to a hundred =/ Soo preferably games that dont require the wii fit board.

I tried out the tennis on the Wii. It was a curiosity thing, I wanted to see how many colories it burned for one hour.

I stuck on my HRM and away I went. Didn't stop, kept going. After 45 minutes, I got bored and tried the golf for the last fifteen minutes.

After the hour, I had burned 95 calories, take off the 50 calories that the body would have burned up just by sitting still and that means I burned a grand total of 45 calories. Negligible.

However, I do enjoy the Wii and will use it as entertainment.

Having said that, I am not sure about the boxing and other stuff on the Wii. Zumba etc. They probably use up much more.
  • pixiexxgirl
    Options
    ohh they made a DDR for the WII?! I used to have it for my ps2 until my ratties got lose and chewed the mat cords :(
    Theres alot of good game suggestions here, thanks everyone!! =)
    Does anyone else use a Wii to knock off extra calories?
    I've recently bought one and I only have Wii sports but the Boxing mode knocks off a good bit...or its supposed to.
    Does anyone else who use one, would you be able to recommend a few different game to buy to burn cals?
    I really want to get a wii fit but their still close to a hundred =/ Soo preferably games that dont require the wii fit board.

You bet I do! I play Just Dance 3 and Wii fit, plus we have a kinect and I do zumba (which is also available on wii, they just came out with the second one) and dance central 2. It burns off a lot of calories. There's also a lot of other work out games for the Wii, there's a pilates game and another i think called My Shape. I think Jillian Michaels has a game on there too. DDR is another good game you can use. Dancing games are the best ones.
  • Di3012
    Options
    I hear that there is a Zumba exercise with theWii; I bet that really works to burn alot of calories.

Yes, I wonder how many it does burn? Interesting if anybody has tried and measured the Zumba.
  • RDalton84
    RDalton84 Posts: 207
    Options
    I have burned as many as 1300 calories doing the hour long class at the highest intensity. Usually average between 800-900 doing the 45 minute class on medium intensity. This is per my HRM. Soo much fun and non stop cardio!!

Yes, I wonder how many it does burn? Interesting if anybody has tried and measured the Zumba.
  • j_twirl
    j_twirl Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have the wii fit.....which is great for burning calories and toning up! I also love playing Just dance and Just dance 2! If you are looking for one game that will make you sweat...its Just dance!!!! Give it a try:

Its so worth the price! :D

http://www.amazon.com/Just-Dance-2-Nintendo-Wii/dp/B003O6FV8S
  • ymhand
    ymhand Posts: 188
    Options
    I got my daughter the dora and friends dance game for wii for christmas, it's fun. Not to brag but we do about 4-5 songs in a row. They have some great moves and by the end she says feel my heart mom it's beeping. Yep mine too.
  • sbremner35
    sbremner35 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Zumba, EA Active (really good one), Just Dance and Wii fit all great calorie burners and fun as well.

Even my daughters joins in so fun and fit for all the family :O)
  • Jessica_Sarah
    Options
    I have Wii Fit but I don't find it that good, or fun, snce I started having a hard workout at the gym. I want Zumba for the Wii!
  • CAWStar
    CAWStar Posts: 23
    Options
    Just Dance is a good one. You can also download some of your favorite songs that aren't on the game through the Wii store app on the system.
  • pixiexxgirl
    Options
    @jessica_sarah I've thought about joining the gym but the closest one is about a 3 hour walk away up a huge hill and since i dont drive I'd have no way of getting there and back.

@ymhand I could buy that and say im buying it for my nephew Haha :laugh: Me and him watch dora every day together :P

My aunt has the just dance games and ive played them at her house and they do make you move maybe ill be borrowing one till i can get my own :P
  • Di3012
    Options
    I have burned as many as 1300 calories doing the hour long class at the highest intensity. Usually average between 800-900 doing the 45 minute class on medium intensity. This is per my HRM. Soo much fun and non stop cardio!!

Wow really? I gonna have to get me some of that!!
  • shawn46106
    shawn46106 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm an NFL nut myself, so it's only fitting that I use the NFL Training Camp. I ususally do a custom cardio work out that I have made. I average 710 calories burned in 55 mintues. It works for me.
  • Nuerra
    Nuerra Posts: 5
    Options
    I have golds cardio gym. AWESOME. I also use abit of the wii fit plus