Replies

• gg24
    gg24 Posts: 58
    Options
    bump
  • DeBiKin
    DeBiKin Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I found out I was hypothyroid about 1 1/2 years ago. That's when my numbers became abnormal but upon learning the symptoms, it seems that it had been going on for much, much longer. In researching the subject I learned that people often have thyroid problems when their numbers are completely within the "normal" range.

I learned how crucial iodine is to a healthy thyroid. I hadn't been eating iodized salt or taking supplements so it made sense that I needed iodine.
    I did an iodine patch test: Paint a 2" x 2" patch of 2% iodine tincture (anticeptic-not 10%) on the inner thigh or inner bicep area; if the patch is still there 24 hours later then you have plenty of iodine... mine was gone in about an hour.

I didn't want to take medicine for the rest of my life so I tried regular iodine supplements but finally got some improvement in my numbers after adding "Potasium Iodide". This is the mineral that got a lot of press for treating/preventing radiation poisoning when Japan's nuclear plant melted down (but that wasn't why I used it).

My numbers were still not "normal" so I caved and started taking levothyroxine (happy that it's only 75 micro grams). The first thing I noticed was sleep; oh my gosh, to sleep, per chance to dream!!! It cured my insomnia! I saw other signs of improvement too.
    I occasionally take coconut oil and don't know if I had taken some prior to my one improved test but it isn't impossible so I just took some and I will continue to do that. My next test (hopefully the second "nomal" test) is next month.
  • ARDuBaie
    ARDuBaie Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Soy is no longer as good for you as it used to be. It was one of the first things that was genetically modified. About 90% of soy products are genetically modified. Corn is the same way. Now they are finding that GM soy and corn are not equal to non-GM soy and corn. Russian research shows that GM potatoes increase the risk for cancer. So I wonder what GM corn and soy does.

Additionally, in the genetic modification process, the gene that is introduced to soy came from peanuts. British research has shown that infants fed soy-based formula have a higher incidence of peanut allergy than those not fed soy-based formula. I wonder if there is a connection between peanut allergies and soy ingestion at older ages. And what about corn? Was DNA from peanuts used for it? And what about other GM products?

Continuing with the GM products, foods that have been GM modified are shown to be less nutritious. This may be why we have people overeating. If you aren't meeting your nutritional needs, you brain will tell you to eat in order to hopefully meet those needs. It has been proven that you would need to eat two of today's apples to meet the nutritional value of an apple grown in the 1940s. This is not just because many apples have been genetically modified, but also has to do with the fact that rotation of crops is not necessarily occurring since we are spraying plants with herbicides and fertilizer and the grounds are totally deplete of nutrients for plants without rotation of crops.

I have read that coconut oil is good for many things, including thyroid and arthritic joints. Another thing that can help your thyroid is Kelp. I take two capsules of Kelp daily. I never feel tired, even after my exercise sessions. Be aware that if you take anything that will affect the thyroid, you will want to let you physician know so that they can check your thyroid levels for any changes.

The last thing is that research has shown that a person could be at the high-end of normal in TSH levels and still show the signs of hypothyroidism. For such people, having their thyroid medication increased to where they are on the lower end of normal TSH levels is often the ticket to making them feel better.

Hope this helps the discussion along.