Scam alert . . this just happened to my family member!

Options
2»

Replies

• gentlebreeze2
    gentlebreeze2 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    It happened to my mom, while my brother was out of town. Caller claimed to be her grandson. Luckily she didn't have transportation, so she couldn't send anything... but she believed he was in trouble. She sat on the info for a couple months, then finally mentioned it at a family dinner including my brother and her grandson. The whole family apparently jumped all over my mom for believing it (even though the grandson has a history of getting into trouble). No compassion... I was miffed.
  • mizzdivat
    mizzdivat Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing this. I get the scam emails all the time and just delete them. You can't trust anyone these days. Sadly, our economy is so bad that people are more desperate and getting more bolder in terms of what they will do for money.
  • JediMaster_intraining
    Options
    How horrible people are....my grandpa had to calm down his friend (who is also up there in age) because someone said if she didn't send them money ($2,000) they would put her in jail for breaking the law on something. I'm so glad my grandpa is smart enough to know better and help his other friends who are vulnerable! It's NOT fun to pick on older people because some of them are emotionally and physically fragile already. :grumble:
  • camy_chick
    camy_chick Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    awhile back, this kinda thing happened to a friend on mine on facebook........her account was hacked, and the person(s) that hacked her acct started messaging ALL her friends that were online. saying they were over seas and got robbed and NEEDED money to get back home.............funny thing is i KNEW my friend was with her family skiing. and SHE knows that i am usually broke off my butt, so she wouldn't ask me for $. and after the hacker(s) figured out i wasn't going to send "her" money, i got defriended! took my friend OVER A MONTH to get her account figured back out and back in her control!
  • Noki1024
    Noki1024 Posts: 302
    Options
    Omg that's insane! People are stupid and crazy! What nerve.