-Protein Count

Options
Ok so I'm having a problem with the protein section.. Seems I go over my allowed count in protein always.. is this bad??? I'm staying under my allowed calories and trying to keep close to what I'm allowed but that is turning into a real chore to since I have so many I'm allowed..

Any ideas?

Replies

• amyllu
    amyllu Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I mainly keep an eye on the fats, sugars and carbs which are the "bad" guys and having high blood pressure I also have to watch my salt as well. Think you will find that it is quite okay. See if you are losing weight on what you are eating and that will be the biggie.
    Hope everything goes well for you....:smile:
  • zagecko
    Options
    if you have to go over on anything Protein is not the worst. They only time it could be a problem is if you have some sort of issue with your kidneys. If you have a history of kidney stones or such - you may want to check with your doctor on what would be a good protein level to stive for. hope that helps
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    I mainly keep an eye on the fats, sugars and carbs which are the "bad" guys and having high blood pressure I also have to watch my salt as well. Think you will find that it is quite okay. See if you are losing weight on what you are eating and that will be the biggie.
    Hope everything goes well for you....:smile:

Fats aren't the bad guy, if fact, no macro-nutrient is "bad". In fact you need about 0.35 to 0.45 grams of fat per 1 lb body weight. You should watch carbs/sugar if you have diabetes or any other insulin resistant issues.

The protein level are pretty low here. Aim for 1 gram per 1 lb Lean Body Mass.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Who told you that was the maximum? You'd do better treating it as a minimum.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    if you have to go over on anything Protein is not the worst. They only time it could be a problem is if you have some sort of issue with your kidneys. If you have a history of kidney stones or such - you may want to check with your doctor on what would be a good protein level to stive for. hope that helps

This is my understanding as well. I have been told that excess protein is just evacuated from out bodies through urine, that is why it can have a strong smell if we eat more protein than our bodies can absorb.

I think the most important thing is this matter is to make sure that it is not accompanied by too much sat fat.
  • gemini2267
    gemini2267 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Protein is essential for weight loss to sustain muscle. I think MFP sets the bar to low for protein because i try to eat a low carb diet which is high in protein so im always over in protein.
  • Thanks for all the replys !!! Just started this so I didn't want to get into a problem area.. But from what it sounds like it shold be ok.. I will manage it and see what happens.. @ Elizabethroad it shows up at the bottom of your food chart..

Thanks again everyone !!
  • anne2064
    anne2064 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad you asked abou this - I go over in protein nearly every day too! Thanks for the reassurance!:wink:
  • meribethd
    meribethd Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    MFP sets the protein pretty low. You can change it in your settings--I did that (and lowered carbs a little) so it's more like 40/30/30.
  • amyllu
    amyllu Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    MFP sets the protein pretty low. You can change it in your settings--I did that (and lowered carbs a little) so it's more like 40/30/30.

Very interesting point that Meribethd, Think I will do the same. Good on ya!! :smile:
  • meribethd
    meribethd Posts: 92 Member
    Options

Very interesting point that Meribethd, Think I will do the same. Good on ya!! :smile:

Very glad to help! :)
  • ryno0618
    ryno0618 Posts: 361
    Options
    MFP protein default count is very minimal. I changed my carbs/protein/fat to 50/30/20.
    A good rule of thumb is 1g of protein for every lb you weigh

You really can't max out your protein. You'd have to taken in a HUGE amount before it caused any digestive problems for your liver or make a noticeable difference in weight loss.