jaxandmaksmom Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    bump
  • pfwright1
    Options
    BUMP
  • mmotherh
    Options
    This sounds great! I have a friend that has been recently diagnosed with diabetes, anyone know how these cupcakes would work in a diabetic diet?
  • abcmom03
    abcmom03 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Bump...thanks!
  • Njkelley
    Njkelley Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    bump
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Hi There,
    I know I am going to sound like a fanatic here, and that is not my intention. My intention is to make you aware of the dangers of aspartame, especially when heated. Please take the time to read the information. http://aspartame.mercola.com/

I suggest using a small can of pumpkin with whatever cake mix and 3 eggs, no oil necessary. This makes a really moist and delicious cake. Use the cake mix to flour the pan or use a Demarle mold for easy removal.

if you are concerned about the aspartame, there are a number of diet drinks that use splenda instead which I think is ok for baking.
  • StefPayne
    StefPayne Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Great ideas!! Thanks everyone!!
  • legaline
    legaline Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    bump, love this idea
  • xSCiNTILLATEx79
    xSCiNTILLATEx79 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Hi There,
    I know I am going to sound like a fanatic here, and that is not my intention. My intention is to make you aware of the dangers of aspartame, especially when heated. Please take the time to read the information. http://aspartame.mercola.com/

I suggest using a small can of pumpkin with whatever cake mix and 3 eggs, no oil necessary. This makes a really moist and delicious cake. Use the cake mix to flour the pan or use a Demarle mold for easy removal.

agreed! it sounds awesome being able to have a quick low cal treat, but aspartame is bad enough on its own and WAY worse exposed to heat.

Im gonna try the pumpkin and pinapple things for sure!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    They taste fine, but be aware that some people have bad reactions to artificial sweeteners. Some members of my family get migraines from diet soda. Thankfully, I'm not one of them. :happy:

Personally, I like to add egg and canned pumpkin to cake mix. Sure, it's more calories than diet soda, but at least it's adding something of some nutritional value.

I made butter pecan cake mix with a cup of canned pumpkin and two extra large eggs and vanilla frosting. One mix yielded 68 mini cupcakes, and frosting included, they're 45 calories each. I made them a week ago, took about 50 dozen to my brother's for a party, and have been nibbling on the rest. Two hit the spot when I have a sweet tooth.
  • staceyGO
    staceyGO Posts: 376
    Options
    Do.it. :) You will not be disappointed!
  • sarahahum
    sarahahum Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Does this also work for cakes? Can you use a pan instead of a cupcake pan? Kind of curious for that... since they are kinda crumbly. I may try sometime :)

Yes! I actually have only made it as cake so far, not cupcakes. It's a little tricky to get the batter even in the pan since the batter tends to be thicker than usual, but as long as you push it around and make sure it's even it works great!
  • Nightelyn
    Options
    If you have chocolate cake mix, use diet cola. If white or yellow cake, use diet sprite or 7up.
  • wallisjules
    Options
    bump
  • wallisjules
    Options
    don't forget you can replace oil with sugar free apple sauce to make your recipes low fat
  • missprincessgina
    missprincessgina Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Yes, these are AMAZING! I love cake and my personal favorite is lemon cake with diet sprite with a light lemon frosting. I also make a vanilla or yellow cake mix with sprite and a low cal frosting. I've never tried the confetti flavor. I like to make it in a bundt cake pan and drizzle with frosting.

One important tip is that the cake needs way less time to bake. Take the baking time on the box and cut it in half to check your cake/cupcakes. My bundt cake is done in 30 minutes instead of the suggested 43. I always check it starting at like 25 minutes.

I love to bake and frost if you have any other questions!!! Good luck, let us know how they turn out.
  • missprincessgina
    missprincessgina Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I tried some last night, used Coke Zero (since I had it on hand) and Chocolate Duncan Hane (spelling) mix, turned out better than I hoped! You can taste the difference but they are still good. They are a bit crumbly though, once you take them out of the wrapper so be careful.

The icing, I tried cool whip, but it didn't taste right to me, so I tried them plain, they taste fine, like little muffins. I made them in little cupcake pans and I ended up with 59!!! Which averaged to about 26ish calories a pop, now talk about a nice quick low calorie chocolate fix!

I am going to try strawberry and vanilla later once these are all gone.. and they are going faster than any cupcakes I've made before! (we are all on a diet here.. and other cupcakes come out to 80+ for the same amount).

Does this also work for cakes? Can you use a pan instead of a cupcake pan? Kind of curious for that... since they are kinda crumbly. I may try sometime :)

I think the diet soda/cake mix works best in a bundt cake pan. That is from my experience!
  • sherri33s
    sherri33s Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    SOUNDS GOOD