after dinner snacking

Options
arrggg!!! i do so great all day with my eating and exercising, have a healthy dinner....then it hits me. I WANNA SNACK! That's the most difficult time of day for me! Yesterday I ended up eating Jelly Beans of all things. I'm so mad at myself!
Anyone have any motivation to throw my way?:grumble:

Replies

• elatoria
    elatoria Posts: 30
    Options
    arrggg!!! i do so great all day with my eating and exercising, have a healthy dinner....then it hits me. I WANNA SNACK! That's the most difficult time of day for me! Yesterday I ended up eating Jelly Beans of all things. I'm so mad at myself!
    Anyone have any motivation to throw my way?:grumble:
  • Life_is_Good
    Life_is_Good Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I make popcorn after dinner... It's low cal & keeps those snack attacks under control

Good luck... :smile:
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel I ate 6 of those bunny mashmellows
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    I have learned to allow myself several hundred "leftover" calories in my day for this.

But, I've replaced my old snacks with new ones. Instead of jelly beans, try grapes. They're not jelly beans, and they never will be, but if you're after a "one at a time sweet fix", they will do the job.

A lot of my snacking was emotional, so I do recommend you examine that as well. Is after dinner the first moment you have all day to sit down and do what you want? You could be using the food to calm you down from a stressful day. This might not be you, but it was me. . .so I just throw it out there for you.

I've also found I cannot have the food evils in my house. My downfall is potato chips. So, I never bring them in the house, unless I can handle the calories in the entire bag. So, keep the jelly beans away from you if they're a trouble. (Easier after we're through with Easter, I know.)

Hope that helps. :flowerforyou:
  • elatoria
    Options
    popcorn is a great idea! i'll try that tonight if i get that overwhelming urge to snack. thanks!
  • SoupNazi
    SoupNazi Posts: 4,229 Member
    Options
    Well certainly don't fret about it. I do the same thing and trust me, when I want a snack after dinner, no vegetable or fruit is going to cut it. Try to find healthier options, though, to satisfy your cravings. About an hour after dinner I have a chocolate Kraft Handi-snacks pudding (sugar-free) for only 45 calories and top it with lite cool whip for an additional 25 calories (who doesn't love a parfait?). There are so many other great options out there and, by no means, is it a sin to treat yourself. Bon Appetit!
  • elatoria
    Options
    eating is definitely emotional for me as well. thats part of whats got me in my current position. after dinner is especially hard like you said, its the first time that i get to sit down and have a moment to myself.
  • elliott062907
    elliott062907 Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    I have found a hanful of nuts, dried fruit with no added sugars and sesame snacks. Try frozen grapes..... they are the bomb.
  • jill5677
    jill5677 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I do popcorn or sugar free pudding. Also, there are these frozen bars called almost fruit and they are sooo good and pretty low cal. My boyfriend even eats them as a treat for himself!!!
  • lesliemassage
    Options
    Have you tried the Quaker 90 calorie bags of mini-rice cakes? The chocolatey drizzle ones taste just like chocolate chip cookies. They are the bomb. :tongue:
  • avr1321
    avr1321 Posts: 96
    Options
    unsalted peanuts and mini chocolate chips.
    an oz of peanuts is about 160 cals and one tablespoon of mini chips is 70 cals. and one tablespoon is enough for me with the peanuts, but you could always had more if you have the extra cals. the good thing is that its filling, sweet and takes a while to eat.
  • winwin
    winwin Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I used to love eating chips. Now I have replaced it with popcorn. Orville Redenbacher makes one called smart pop. I eat half a bag in the evening. Sounds like a lot, but it is high in fiber and tasty and it can last hours. My husband sits beside me and eats chips and now a month later I find they don't even tempt me. I even let myself have my favorite, lays bar b q chips last Friday night and my stomach was upset an hour later and the next day I felt so bloated. So we can change our habits. It just takes time.

Orville Redenbacher's smart pop. 0 Trans fat and has the health check. Buttery Flavour

per 1/2 bag

calories 130
    fat 2 (sat 0.5 trans 0)
    cholesterol 0
    sodium 230
    carbohydrate 24
    fiber 6
    sugars 0
    protein 4

Just leave room in your day for the calories and the carbs and you are all set
  • mslreed
    mslreed Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have this problem also and what I do is plan my meals with hersheys miniature chocolates its only about 210 calories for 5 lil chocolates and that cuts the sweet tooth that I have. I try to eat one through out the day when I get a sugar rush or want something sweet. It allows me to not go over my calories by adding them in my food plan. Personally, sweets are okay as long as you add them in your food plan but dont go over board with it have a limit or allow yourself so many calories so your not eating all empty calories for your snack or sweet. Hope that helpls.
  • elatoria
    Options
    thank you all for the suggestions! very helpful indeed!
  • GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
    Options
    I like to snack on grapes when I want something sweet, and popcorn when I want something salty. I just buy those single-serve packs of microwave popcorn and figure that into my calories for the day.