What do you Stuff your peppers with?

Options
2»

Replies

• boe2004
    boe2004 Posts: 21
    Options
    Defo has to be cous cous with roasted veg, courgette, red onion, aubergine (add a splash of balsamic vinegar too). Then mix in some sun dried toms and feta cheese. Stuff. Grill/oven. Voile. Total greek freakout. It is delicious!
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    If you bake them, you can stand the peppers up in a pan with about an inch of water around them to keep them moist and from burning. I love putting in the vegetable steamer with the basket because it is so much faster and I don't have to turn on the oven (especially in the heat of summer).

Good luck!!!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I'm lazy - I like Stuffed Pepper Soup (Cooking Light)

1/2 pound ground round (or turkey)
    2 cups chopped green bell pepper (red & green combo is nice)
    1 cup chopped onion
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    1 (14-ounce) can less-sodium beef broth
    1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
    1 (10 3/4-ounce) can tomato soup, undiluted
    1 1/2 cups hot cooked white or brown rice

Heat a small Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add beef; cook 3 minutes or until browned, stirring to crumble. Add chopped green bell pepper and onion; cook 8 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in black pepper, less-sodium beef broth, diced tomatoes, and tomato soup; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 45 minutes.
    Spoon 1/4 cup hot cooked rice into each of 6 bowls; top with 1 cup soup.

*Variations: for tomato soup I use Amy's or Progresso - Campbell's is super sweet (yuck). I also like to add some basil.
  • mriricat23
    mriricat23 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I was looking for an alternative to bread this afternoon for lunch, so I halved a green pepper and stuffed it with tuna salad... YUMMM!
  • firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I was looking for an alternative to bread this afternoon for lunch, so I halved a green pepper and stuffed it with tuna salad... YUMMM!

Brilliant!
  • Kaddyshack21
    Kaddyshack21 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I use either lean beef or turkey or TVP (textured vegetable protein), and then I add a can of diced tomatoes, an onion, garlic, some olive oil, and (wait for it) parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme, and cumin for good measure (one day, I was making some and wasn't sure how to season it, so I did it that way, remembering the song, and just out of curiosity, I mean the chorus is an old tune so I was thinking there had to be something to it, right? And cumin is just always a good idea. :bigsmile: ). It is SO good. Filling barely made it into the peppers the first time, I could hardly stop eating it. Yum! Here's a link to the recipe which I use as a base for a LOT of things, including this. http://www.squidoo.com/how-to-make-georgian-eggplant

LOVE IT!!! Simon & Garfunkel would NEVER steer us wrong. LOL.
  • Itfitsagain
    Options
    Anybody got any stuffed-pepper recipes that don't use rice or other grains, or bread or starchy veggies?
    I'm on a low-carb diet and love stuffed peppers but can't have the carbs that I see in the (delicious sounding) recipes here.